WIX Filter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did he NOT contact the company to attempt some kind of resolution before cutting it open?

If the cartridge inside a spin-on filter were to collapse like that, wouldn't that effectively put the filter into full bypass? Now, while full bypass for the duration of an oil change interval wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for wear, is there any way that a healthy engine in a street car with decent oil being used in a reasonable manner would blow up as a result of going one reasonable length oil change interval without oil filtration? This guy is not on the level.

I cannot detect a cut line on the Wix filter but i do agree it's iffy that the whole inside of that filter could have been distorted like that without help of some kind.
confused2.gif

I really don't see a cut in the can prior to the second video. Looks to me to be the normal crimp seam area holding the tapping plate. Before viewing the second video I thought the coil retainer spring had failed, thus the rattle. But the Part 2 dissection changed that thought.

As mentioned, in Part 1 he mentions that it had been cold, 32degrees, also that :)47) 'it started puking oil all over the place.' Now watch the video below from :40 to 1:18 and listen to what can happen. "Trust me if this valve sticks, you can quickly develop engine damging levels of oil pressure". Seems to be similar to what happened to youtube author. Or perhaps a combination of that, the filter bypass and high oil pressure.

Though I don't see it, I suppose it could be simple fraud. But I prefer to consider the other possible mechanical causes. And, I'm not pointing a finger at Wix, happen to think their filters are solid. It is an interesting issue though imo.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
As a matter of fact there does appear to be a thin cut line in the filter's crease in that photo terminating about vertically level with "W" in the Wix sticker and extending past his thumb.

That's just the sticker's edge. If you look at the 2nd video where the filter is cut open, the cut isn't even close to being down as far as the sticker line. The cut in the 2nd video is only about 1/8 ~ 1/4" below the crimp on the base edge.

Well, regardless of the possibility that this was staged, if I give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say it was legitimate, I don't see it as a filter failure. Taking his word as gospel, the filter element didn't just magically collapse like that under normal oil pressure. If the center tube were a Coke can with holes punched in it and the filter media were a few sheets of wet toilet paper, I might understand it.

Whatever happened to this filter (staged or otherwise) was well beyond the design limitations of the product.

Gotta love these vids. At least a Fram failure vid shows plausible failures. To cause this damage to this Wix filter, one's oil pump would need the pressure and flow of a fire hose.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
As a matter of fact there does appear to be a thin cut line in the filter's crease in that photo terminating about vertically level with "W" in the Wix sticker and extending past his thumb.

That's just the sticker's edge. If you look at the 2nd video where the filter is cut open, the cut isn't even close to being down as far as the sticker line. The cut in the 2nd video is only about 1/8 ~ 1/4" below the crimp on the base edge.

I'm not talking about way down to the sticker's edge. I'm talking about the cut line in the seam, and that the seam seems shallow compared to the photo from Wix. It's always been about the seam and the line through the seam that is best seen at 2:20.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
If the cartridge inside a spin-on filter were to collapse like that, wouldn't that effectively put the filter into full bypass? Now, while full bypass for the duration of an oil change interval wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for wear, is there any way that a healthy engine in a street car with decent oil being used in a reasonable manner would blow up as a result of going one reasonable length oil change interval without oil filtration? This guy is not on the level.

I'd say the oil would bypass. Even if people don't believe there is a cut visible in the video, this guy's story is so questionable for other reasons. A vertically smashed filter element, a failed engine and instead of being irate with WIX and filing a claim he cuts the filter open, "sorry, sorry, WIX sorry you had your chance, Fram is better.." give me a break. It's all suspect.

I'm not talking about way down to the sticker's edge. I'm talking about the cut line in the seam, and that the seam seems shallow compared to the photo from Wix. It's always been about the seam and the line through the seam that is best seen at 2:20.

Again, you have to look at the video where the filter is cut, and you can see the cut line is well below the seam area.

It's pretty clear to me from the zoomed still of the video at 1:24 that there is no cut in the can. I think you are seeing the reflection of light in the seam just below the rolled edge ... that's not a cut. There is nothing he could have cut the can with that wouldn't have shown some kind of plain evidence of cutting in this shot. There is absolutely not paint missing where a cut would be in this shot at 1:24.

WIXFilterNotCutOpen.jpg

More video forensics. First photo is a zoomed in snap-shot of the cut open filter at time stamp 0:09 in video #2. It shows a good edge view of the cut off base plate. I've put red and blue lines on the snap-shot. Red line is edge of the base crimp. Blue line is the cut.

WIXFilterCutOpen.jpg

Second photo shows where the same red and blue lines would be on the uncut filter from the zoomed in snap-shot at 1:24 in video #1.

WIXFilterNotCutOpen2.jpg

But we still don't know that the two pics are of the same section of the filter (they don't appear to be) or if they are even the same filter can.

But we still don't know that the two pics are of the same section of the filter (they don't appear to be) or if they are even the same filter can.

Really not sure what you're talking about. In both videos you can see the filter number on the side (WIX 51374). You could take 1000 of them, and they will all have the same can size/shape. Of course the two pics are at the same section/area of the same oil filter. Watch the videos!
lol.gif
I've given you the time stamps of where these shots are from.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I thought I see a line here but maybe I'm crazy

1f7r43.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/1f7r43.jpg

....imagine hearing this on your tv... "coming up on BITOG Nation, its a Wix oil filter failure, FACT or FAKED? you decide"

That's the edge of the sticker that says WIX FILTERS on it ... besides, the cut in not there; it's not that far down from the base. I've shown where the cut is in relation to the base crimp - the blue lines in the snap-shots I posted.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Really not sure what you're talking about. In both videos you can see the filter number on the side (WIX 51374). You could take 1000 of them, and they will all have the same can size/shape. Of course the two pics are at the same section/area of the can. Watch the videos!
lol.gif
... I've given you the time stamps of where these shots are from.

I'll admit in the 2nd video the can appears to be cut well under the seam. But we don't know if it was the same can as in the first video. It could be 2 different cut open cans of WIX 51374. And the section of can in the two pics are not the same. One is near the sticker and the other is on a different side. I've cut filters right at the seam and when you put it together you could not see the cut line. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the 2nd video is a different can cut differently from the first video. The can in the first video just doesn't look right and the whole story smells for other reasons even if the first video doesn't clearly show whether the can was already cut.

If you stop the 2nd video at 0:35 it appears the can is cut unevenly away from the seam on one side and on the other side very close to the crimp seam and the base plate is even cut into. This would correspond in the first video to the section where the WIX sticker is and where I think the cut line is near the seam.

The point is you can pick and choose which frames to compare in the two vidoes and see what you want to see, but it is inconclusive.

Exactly what caused the failure in this case is indeterminable from the limited info. It's also clear the original presenter of the information has a bias in one direction and the facts he presented (and those he probably deliberately left out) were designed to support his bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back