Iffy lube - bulk oil or from bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
They will upgrade to Pennzoil if you ask if I remember correctly from others.

I know a lot of the Jiffy Lubes near me offer pennzoil as their stock oil for oil changes. Bottles I have only seen used if there is something specific that was requested or something that isn't bulk (like HDEO etc.) If you want 5w20 or 30 it's coming from a tank

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
They will upgrade to Pennzoil if you ask if I remember correctly from others.

Jiffy Lube is owned by Shell Oil Products US (SOPUS). You'll almost always get a Pennzoil product, but will sometimes get Formula Shell if they don't have Pennzoil.

Its marketing, like a commercial is gonna show someone pumping oil from a bulk tank. Its just like the ads where they show a tech in perfectly clean clothes with an ASE patch, right like that's gonna happen.

FWIW you can get synthetic in bulk, we have Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W20 in bulk, and might be getting 5W30 in bulk as well at my dealer. We also have Mazda 0W20 in bulk for the MY2011+ Mazda's.

I would believe that most if not all comes from a bulk tank unless you would request for something that is not normally carried on site. Also Jiffy Lube is a franchise so you pay a 4% royalty to Jiffy Lube as a franchise owner you could use any oil you choose that is why some Jiffy Lubes offer Quaker State, Lucas, Pennzoil, Formula Shell, I have even hear of some offering Mobil One. But I suspect you would get a discount offer from SOPUS to use one of their products, but it is the owners choice.

I would never let bulk oil be pumped into my car. Take this advice from someone who work's at a fast lube, you have no idea what is in those tanks. They can tell you anything, somebody should do a uoa from a fast lube and find out if they put in what they told you.

Im sure you don't play games but the owners of some fast lubes do. We have cam2 oil in our bulk tanks, when customers ask the owner if he has Quaker state boss says yep! And pumps the cam2 bulk in instead.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my fear is the mixing of used oil with the new bulk oil

How on Earth would that happen?

simple, owner wants to boost profits, transfers used oil when shop is closed

This is where conspiracy theories fall apart.

Why go through the trouble of that? If you really wanted to boost profits, you might as well just go all the way and just not change the oil (or not change filters) to save time/money.
Or the typical route and do unneeded or non-existent service.

So you have imaginary boogeymen when the real problems would be right over there.

Last edited:

+1

Originally Posted By: boosted

+1

I have a better idea. Pour regular old 30 weight non-detergent into empty Mobil 1 bottles. Now the owner's REALLY raking in the cash.

Originally Posted By: boosted
I would never let bulk oil be pumped into my car. Take this advice from someone who work's at a fast lube, you have no idea what is in those tanks. They can tell you anything, somebody should do a uoa from a fast lube and find out if they put in what they told you.

I did...near as I can tell, the bulk oil was exactly as advertised. (VWB 5W-30)

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I deliver to quick lubes. Every single tank we fill is exactly what it is labeled as. We don't play games.

I recall someone on TDS getting their oil changed...due to a mistake, the tank of 15W-40 HDEO had been topped off with Mercon V ATF! Note: this was a DEALER!

I know a manager of a local Jiffy Lube that has a stellar reputation for over 20 years! Not all are bad. Its virgin PYB by the barrel/drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back