Do oil filters have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long would you let an oil filter sit on the shelf before you would it's to old?

What about on a car that is used daily or every other day, but less than 3000 miles a year? I'm talking about my mom's V6 Camery here that is now 10 years old with about 34K miles. I usually let it go a year to a year and a half between oil changes. I've changed the oil about 8 times with Mobil one and a M1 filter, but this time I went with PP and a Motorcraft FL400s filter.

I've seen some pretty nasty "new" filters that have been sitting on a shelf somewhere exposed to the weather, like an open garage. If the can or the screw on area looks at all corroded or weathered I would skip using it unless I was desperate. Similarly, I would prefer my filters to be stored in a relatively cool, non-damp environment. Something left in a storage shed or outdoors someplace like Florida would have seen a lot of high temperature, which might prematurely age components.

Under decent, dry storage conditions, a filter's life would have to be many years.
If in dobut about a filter, look it over and maybe do a little gentle probing, to see whether any glue joint is flaky.
I've used years old oil filters with no problems.

I got a dozen Group 7 (purolator b filters) filters for free that fit my Taurus. They've been sitting around for about 13yrs. I cut one open to see inside and it looked like what I'd expect out of a B filter. the ADBV was nitrile, felt fine, but I don't really care about them, as my filter doesn't drain out.
the o-ring seal was pliable and I've used 3 so far and nothing bad. I cut one of them open after 1000 miles to take a look and it seemed good. So I keep them around for emergency.. like when I think I bought a MTC or Wix but forgot.. I have a filter I can use and not be concerned.

In a temp controlled area, I would think decades would be doable.

In a humid shed that sees hot summers and freezing winters, I'd say rust is on the horizon in a minute.

Last edited:
I'd suggest taking the old filter and comparing it to a new filter. Maybe press a thumbnail or penny against the old rubber gasket and see how "soft" it is compared to the new filter, then press against the anti-drainback seals and compare them as well. If a rubber component is dried out and hardened, you can probably detect that to some extent.

Amazon stores mine for me. If I bought a bunch on sale, the car would die or be totaled or stolen the day after the sale ended and I would be stuck a bunch of oil filters. (although I would do my best to try and return them). I usually have my next filter on hand.

With free shipping from Amazon, no need to buy in quantity.

The Bobcat filters require me to push a wheelbarrow into the bank to get enough money to pay for just one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back