Gates or Dayco timing belt kit, which is better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Timing Belt kit (Gates or Dayco) do you prefer for a Honda Accord ?

With AAP 40% discount ES123 discount code I'm thinking about buying a kit and having my brother inlaw install it.

I don't trust any Chinese made bearings/idler tensioner these days,and for that I typically buy Gates belt (for NA made Honda or Toy,for Japanese made ones, Gates or Mitsuboshi) and then factory OE idler tensioner bearings.

Q.

I like to go with a genuine factory part for the timing belt. I know Gates and Dayco are the OEM for some belts, but how can you be sure if it is the OEM for your application?

I also second the above post. Don't cheap out on the tensioner. I had a Chinese belt tensioner fail on me after only a few months, but luckily it was a drive belt, not a timing belt.

When I did the T-belt on my girlfriend's Beetle, I went with an OE belt and tensioner. I found a kit on a VW parts website that was very reasonably priced.

BTW - What is the Year/make/model/engine you need a timing belt for?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I think your 2007 has a chain.

I looked up a 2007 Accord, assuming that is what the OP has.

According to Rock Auto's catalog, the 4 cyl. has a timing chain and the 6 cyl. has a timing belt.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I think your 2007 has a chain.

I looked up a 2007 Accord, assuming that is what the OP has.

According to Rock Auto's catalog, the 4 cyl. has a timing chain and the 6 cyl. has a timing belt.

He has a 4.

Dayco make many, many OEM timing belts, I've never had a problem with one.

On the one vehicle we have that uses a belt, Dayco is the OE supplier and for many years were the only aftermarket supplier.
That car also uses a Dayco tensioner for the alt/fan belt, again, they last a very long time in very adverse conditions. (dirt/gravel/off road)

You will be well served by either brand, the rubber type is the same... EPDM rubber is very durable. I, personally, would go Dayco beings that they supply a large portion of the OEM. Not that Gates is a bad choice, just my personal preference. I think Gates is up their with Michelin and other products people "automatically" assume are the best.

I had a dayco TB stretch 30k into its life, enough that it triggered a misfire light and rough idle. I compared it to a new belt and stretched out, it was like 1/2" longer.

Gates.

While the belt manufacturer may be important but the idler, tensioner and water pump are just as important.
Go with OE or Aisin.

Rock has a Aisin complete component set with w/pump for $205 which is a good buy. Aisin is as good as OEM in fact it may be OEM.

Many gates and most of the Dayco i have seen don't use double roller bearings on the tensioner and idlers but instead use single rollers.
Aisin and OEM generally use double.
I have seen no Chinese bearings, all Made in Japan in OEM or Aisin.

I use Goodyear gatorbacks they seem to be very good and extremely quiet in my car. I had to go on ebay to get mine. No store around here carried the Gatorbacks and ebay was way cheaper even with shipping I got it for 15 bucks normally they cost at least 25 or 30 bucks for my belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back