Washer and dryer relocation (up the stairs)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips or tricks to relocating a heavy front-loader washer and dryer (both on pedestals) upstairs and onto a moving truck? I have a Shoulder Dolly 2-person lifting setup on order, and also can rent an appliance dolly.

Trying to keep this fairly inexpensive, and without a visit to the hospital!

I'm not sure how well lifting straps would work going up stairs.
I would go with the appliance dolly. Removing them from the pedestal may help keep the weight low.

Be careful going around corners with the dolly. Depending on your situation, sometimes you have to drop the dolly on a landing and spin it to get up the next flight. Sometimes you even have to ditch the dolly altogether to maneuver. In extreme situations the handrail needs to be removed.

I've moved appliances by myself, but it's a lot easier with another man on the other end.

Edit to add:
You might move the dryer first to get a feel for it since the washer will be a lot heavier.

Last edited:
I moved appliances for two summers. We rarely used hand trucks in stairwells, if at all; too much bother and get in the way in the most inconvenient of times. This was, of course, with (2) < 25 year olds. I would not even be trying this without 2 people.

Perhaps an able bodied BITOG'r near by?

Last edited:
If they're on pedestals consider taking them off. They will be much less top heavy.

I've moved more appliances than I care to count on an appliance dolly, and they're great for going up and down stairs. Make sure you get a dolly with the tracks on the back that move when you lean it up against the stair.

Or, if you're really concerned about the weight, get a powered appliance dolly. They'll climb the stairs all by themselves-you just need to steady them on the way up.

I paid the lowes delivery folks $70 cash for moving an existing front-load washer while doing a newdryer(light) to do this in a very tight stairwell from basement to top floor. Worth every penny.

They used shoulder straps to move partly, blanket to slide, and a dolly up stairs.

Years ago, I bought an inexpensive appliance dolly at Home Depot. It was one of my better investments. I use it frequently for all sorts of stuff. I'm glad I have it.

I've moved washers, dryers, furniture, and water heaters up and down our cellar stairs on many occasions (it is a straight shot)and I'm not by any stretch of the imagination "Mr. Muscles".

Dolly. THe washer will be the toughest as the front loaders usually have concrete inside of them to keep the thing from flying around when it is in the final spin cycle. Good luck...

Make sure you put the transport bolts back in to secure the washer tub. Doesn't take much to bust the struts on these things and turn them into paper weights. That shoulder dolly should work great. They keep your back nice and straight and keep you from crippling yourself. Front load washers can exceed 300 lbs by the time you add the pedestal. I move appliances for a living and have learned that impatience is your biggest enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back