131 Neutra Oil Additive?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Schaeffers corperate site today. I only say recomendation for this product as a fuel additive. How is it that the parent company is not marketing it for crankcase use if it is such a good cleaner and does not neagatively impact oil performance. This is not meant as a flame at all!! I am just woundering how this product has come to be used of application and how effective it truly is at crankcase cleaning. I ask becuse I would like a cheaper alternative to Auto-RX as a maintnece additive. I am currently useing Auto-Rx in my transmission and engine for cleaning. I have some vechiles that have less then 30,000 miles and I really can not see that expense at this point. I would really like a cheaper alternative for these vechiles. I also want it to work. Thanks!!!!

Both the back label on the Neutra bottle and the Neutra brochure give engine purge instructions:
"Neutra may be used to gently purge the engine of carbon deposits by adding it to the crankcase oil the last 300 to 500 miles prior to the oil change.

"1 pint to 5 quarts of oil, double the rate of Neutra in the fuel at the same time."

Ken

JohnB,

We had an intersting discussing in:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000014;p=1

I can't speak for Schaeffer's marketing and truly do not understand their marketing as well, but Auto_RX and Neutra are both esters and will clean the crankcase. This is a similar situation to multifunctional additives: i.e, Moly dithiocarbamate or MoTDC; it is a Friction Modifier, and Anti-Wear additive, and an antioxidant/anti-corrosive additive.

In my view, Neutra is a faster, more aggressive ester, whereas Auto-RX has a mixture of gently but slower cleaning esters, with many esters derived from natural substances. Neutra is a purely synthesized hydrocarbon ester.

Some people prefer a gently cleaning ester, and some people prefer a "faster ester."

Neutra does have application as both a crankcase cleaner and as a fuel additive and stabilizer.

This discussion makes me wonder if Redline SI-1 could also be used in a crankcase.

I don't want to be the first to try it. I think I'll go pour some on a piece of polystyrene and see what happens.

Edit: I poured some SI-1 into a styrofoam cup. It doesn't appear that the styrofoam is affected at all.

[ May 11, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: satterfi ]

quote:

131 Neutra Oil Additive??

Forgive my ignorance, but how much does Neutra cost?? Do I have to buy it by the case?

OBTW, this is a great website..
grin.gif

Schuey: Tim Mills sells it by 12oz bottles and gallon sizes (see the Support Our Site forum).

I ordered a gallon for $13.50 plus shipping. Gave half of it to my father-in-law to use as a lead substitute in his '57 Willey's pickup. Great stuff!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

...... but Auto_RX and Neutra are both esters and will clean the crankcase. This is a similar situation to multifunctional additives: i.e, Moly dithiocarbamate or MoTDC; it is a Friction Modifier, and Anti-Wear additive, and an antioxidant/anti-corrosive additive.

In my view, Neutra is a faster, more aggressive ester, whereas Auto-RX has a mixture of gently but slower cleaning esters, with many esters derived from natural substances. Neutra is a purely synthesized hydrocarbon ester.

Some people prefer a gently cleaning ester, and some people prefer a "faster ester."

Neutra does have application as both a crankcase cleaner and as a fuel additive and stabilizer.

Hello...wow long time no post here.
Molecula....you say that Neutra is a bit more aggresive than ARX at cleaning....but that DOESN'T mean HARSH right?

BTW, I had mention either here or one of the F-body sites....I am currently in Germany, if you guys think of an oil (just one please) that you would like to do a VOA on, let me know and I'll try to find it and send it to someone who is willing to do the VOA. I just wanted to contribute a little to this great site.
cool.gif

Rick

Thanks, MolaKule, for a fair and balanced post. Not sure how many will click on link you provided, so I uploaded it on Schaeffers or Auto-Rx? thread.

As well as neutra works, there are several things to keep in mind. One, they don't recommend maintanence uses for neutra and Auto rx does. The other thing is that Frank gives warr's for his product to do specific things with continued mainatanece uses where schaeffers doesn't .

As Mola pointed out, the chemistry between the two are totally different and by no means do they work the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back