07 Passat 2.0T FSI oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should i use? I was in a pinch yesterday and i just bought what i found in STOCK. I thought the oil filter was easily found and cheap but i was wrong. purlator filter for a 07 passat ran $12.99 and extra $$ with oil change packages. But none in stock even tho it says 2 in stock.

I ended up getting 5qt 5w40 EDGE and mobil1 oil filter for $48 after tax.

Not everyone makes filters of the car. FRAM, purlator, MANN and mobil were what i saw. This is a city car thats a DD. Plan on going 5k between changes. I was thinking AAP has MANN filters for $11 and part that with T6 5w40@ walmart which is like $28. Would that be the best bang for the buck.

All oil change details for EDGE or PP @ $32 doesn't include my filter, i would need to pay on average $6-7 more for a FRAM filter. I think MANN is a very decent brand, most euro guys like it.

Mann are the defacto filter of choice for europhiles(and OEM's) . There's nothing wrong with using them, they're good filter's, but that said they're not ''bend over backwards to find them special''. Infact a lot of their appeal is because they're simply OEM (as I'm sure you know, OEM= king in Euroland) Any medium top tier filter like a Bosch D+, Mobil 1, K&N, Fram XG ect, are far better choices.

I have the same engine in my Jetta 2.0T.

I tend to go with Mann for the filter. Although like said above any of the name brands will really work fine. I do tend to stay away from Fram ( mostly because of the bad rep around the OCOD - that really has nothing to do with this application, but still lol)

For oil, there are better choices than the basic Castrol 5W-40 Syntec for the same money - GC 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 are both generally easy to find and very highly regarded. There are other great VW 502 oils out there that can be a little tough to find.

Last edited:
autozone website shows they have k&n HP-7010 for 7.99 but it's special order or ship to home, you can also check rock auto or amazon sometimes they have deals or keep an eye out for some oil change specials

Originally Posted By: Artem
Doesn't VW specify 10k OCIs for this car?

They specify 10K OCIs, but oil analysis shows that direct injection gasoline VW engines have severe fuel oil dilution before then, that is why many people change their oil at 5,000 miles.

Also, it may be because the predecessor to the VW 2.0T, VW 1.8T would get heavily varnished if you changed the oil every 10,000 miles, and people are sticking to what works.

bowlofturtle, use an oil that meets the VW 502 spec in your turbocharged VW engine. The Castrol Edge 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40, and Kendall GT-1 5W-40 are three that meet the 502 spec.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is currently on sale at NAPA for $5.79.

Mahle, Mann, German (not U.S.) Bosch, and Hengst filters are very good.

Passat 2.0T 2006-08 B6 recommended 5k OCIs, only the revised 2.0T for 2009-2011 B6 should stick with 10k OCIs, even the oil filters are different between those years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mason1125

Passat 2.0T 2006-08 B6 recommended 5k OCIs, only the revised 2.0T for 2009-2011 B6 should stick with 10k OCIs, even the oil filters are different between those years.

I believe the gist of Mason's advice is essentially correct (a switch from 5K to 10K at some point), although one should consult with the manual for the specifics of their individual ride. My 2008 2.0T, for example, calls for 10K changes.

Originally Posted By: TC
Originally Posted By: mason1125

I believe the gist of Mason's advice is essentially correct (a switch from 5K to 10K at some point), although one should consult with the manual for the specifics of their individual ride. My 2008 2.0T, for example, calls for 10K changes.

your 08 might be a TSI, one with a metal filter. They did a mid year engine change for 08. Both are still 2.0T but TSi are chain driven now.

My FSI has the paper filter. i'll do 5k oil changes, they aren't hard but gets a little costly.

So T6 5w40 isn't reommended for this motor?

I'm looking for a cheap local,in stock normally deal. Its Nnot mypersonal car but close enough in the family that i'll bedoing the work VS paying $100 at the dealership. The syntec and mobil 1 fileter was only $46 or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back