Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Lexmexico:
...never clean their tanks sufficiently. Hence, poor little engine. I buy Techron at Costco and that takes care of the problem easily.

Or poor little fuel filter! Are there Costcos in Mexico, or do you have to buy the Techron above the border?

Costco is the only place that sells Techron here. Actually, fuel filters are changed on cars quite more frequently than one might believe. The Mexican mechanics know this. What they don't know it that would be cheaper to use an additive than to go through the mechanical hassle.

Amoco super premium (white gas) used to use Chevron's techron detergent package. BP now does not. I work at the largest BP refinery and know some of the blenders. The 87 octane does not have a detergent added but the 93 octane does, it is just not the Techron one that it used to have. Both have a corrosion inhibiter added.

Les

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
Amoco super premium (white gas) used to use Chevron's techron detergent package. BP now does not. I work at the largest BP refinery and know some of the blenders. The 87 octane does not have a detergent added but the 93 octane does, it is just not the Techron one that it used to have. Both have a corrosion inhibiter added.

Les

Good info! So is the new additive better/worse? Was the switch motivated by cost reduction as is S.O.P. for corporate buyouts/mergers after the bean counters take over?

Interesting because we're using BP/Amoco Premium in the GTP since I have a CC from them with free gas rebate. My car, now I just put cheapest stuff with an ounce or two Red Line SI-1. Usually gas from Jewel(grocery store) or Phillips 66.

And all gas grades requires some detergent by law, so I am confused there...

I may have gotten some information that was not exactly correct. I talked to another blender today. She said that we used (as Amoco) to add the detergent package to our gasoline here at the refinery. Now it is added at the bulk terminal after it leaves here. Also, probably all grades do get detergent added. We only add the corrosion inhibitor here to protect the pipeline. I will talk to some more people and see what else I can find out. Most of our gas here goes to Florida & the east coast (Atlanta). We have another big refinery in Whiting, IN that serves the Chicago area.

Les

Les,

This is off-topic, but do you know where BPair brand aviation gasoline is made? The Jet A sold here at Long Beach is probably made at the BP Carson refinery, just down the road but 100 octane low lead is a low-volume specialty product. Chevron and Exxon 100LL come from Texas, not local refineries like Jet A.

On-topic comment on Techron, it does seem to remove upper cyliner deposits. My '88 Ford Ranger V-6 used to ping on 87 octane until a Techron treatment. This needed to be repeated about every 20,000 miles.

As has been mentioned before, detergency additives are a requirement imposed by the EPA for gasoline to meet minimum standards. What did change in this case was where the additives were blended in - at the rack or at the refinery. No moe getting BP/Amoco additive packs when buying unbranded gasoline at the rack - this way it gets the minimum required by law and sets the BP/Amoco product slightly apart.

By the way,

Lucas UCL (upper cylinder lubricant) is also an excellent cleaner.

In addition to cleanliness maintenence it has a lubricant package which helps provide oil to the valves and compression rings and pumps...areas which really gasoline for "lube."

The other Lucas products have thier controversy, but UCL is legitimate IMO.

Redline S1-1 is great, albeit containing aggressive quiet aggressive solvents. A while back Molekule did some kitchen chemistry demonstrating that in 100% concentration it readily dissolved a nylon sock (demonstrative of a fuel pumps strainer.)

Techron & BG 44K are also great to support the string. Two successive applications of any of these products to a 1/4 tank of fuel will yield amazing MPG and driveability results
wink.gif

I apologize for having no experiance with neutra or Shaeffers products in so far...please mass produce it for Pep Boys and Auto Zone please
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
How effective is Techron at keeping our engines clean? I've been using nothing but Chevron 91 (highest we can get in Cali.) exclusively for teh BTU count, but how effective is their additive cleaner, Techron? Anyone done a study/analysis?

Thanks

MF, I'v been reading up on fuel system cleaners, and from what I have read, a product called "BG 44K" seems to be the best. Supposedly has the same active ingredient as Techron, but 3 times as potent. Hard to find locally. Prices vary greatly on the net. I see a Toyota dealer in Tx is selling it online for $14 and change. I am going to order 4 bottles and try it out.

I have a friend who is a Service Manager at a GM dealership. He told me GM used to discourage dealerships from pushing fuel additives, but they now say that aside from their own brand, nothing works as well as BG 44K. I think you use this only occasionally due to its potency...like once a year or once every 20,000 miles or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back