110 Race Gas question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Shell gas station sells Race gas 110. I did a 50/50 mix with there 93 and added it to my built 03 Harley softail, the bike ran well although I noticed a white film / residue around the inside of the exhaust, I got real nervous and checked the spark plugs but they look good? Is this condition normal or should I stop using this fuel.

The white film is tetra ethyl lead, an anti knock compound used in gasoline for decades. Light grey exhaust pipes were an indication of of a good running engine back in the old days of leaded gas being readily available at your local service station.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Possibly lead residue? I thought racing gas still uses it

The highest octane unleaded race fuel one can buy ('off the shelf', without blending it oneself) is 105 RON, so YES, if it was 110 it was indeed leaded race fuel.
wink.gif

Klotz1; was this; Shell's OWN?? (did not think they brought it into our country), CAM 2, Union 76, VP, Rockett, or Klotz branded race fuel??

LOL!!.No Klotz fuel..Yes it was pump gas 110 Race at a shell station, the clerk told me he believes they get it from Sunoco?

You can use 110 octane leaded gas if there is no catalytic converter. Be aware though, continued use of high lead gasoline can cause the spark plugs to lead foul. This was sort of a problem in the old days when all we used was leaded gas because that is what was available. I still use 100 LL leaded aviation gas in the summer in my old Studebaker Avanti because of detonation. I use 5 or 6 gallons of avgas to 15 gallons of unleaded premium and that stops the problem.

Thanks 46Harry for the tip. This past winter I put allot of money and time into my engine, did a big bore, cams & some mild porting to the heads so I just wanted to make sure everything would be fine because the engine does seem to like the higher octane mix. I will just keep wiping the film off my slash cut exhaust!!.LOL.

The 110 octane you speak of is called Turbo Blue, I use to run it in my turbo neon back in the day, had the same white film in the exhaust you are talking about, it's just lead because it's leaded gas, you will be changing your spark plugs out much sooner though when using it FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back