My new tire choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2008 Pontiac G5 base
Mileage: 40K
Current Tires: OEM Hankook H725 in 205/55/R16

I've narrowed it down to two choices: Goodyear Eagle GT and Cooper CS4. Now I realize these are probably two dramatically different tires and I've never had a "performance" tire like the GT should be.

Am I going to be severely unhappy throwing Goodyears on this vehicle, or do performance tires upgrade the vehicle regardless of what it is? Let's face it, it's an econobox that I occasionaly get adventurous with when the road curves.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
the cooper cs4 is a decent/good tire

your oem tires are bad/mediocre (at best)

the goodyears are not so hot either.

what method of purchasing are you doing so I can recommend something..

ie ordering online... going to sears, or DT .. whatever.

my stepmom who I would rate as a timid driver loves the conti DWS on her G6. It has the right amount of handling and traction without harshness.

Where are you in the midwest? are these going to be your tires for the winter also? Is this your only winter vehicle?

if you want performance I'd go with something like a conti dws or bridgestone re960

it will really give you amazing handling compared to the oem garbage and still be drivable in the winter.. It also wont be overly harsh and comprimising for that extra performance you cant use on your g5

Last edited:
Honestly, for such a light car, I would highly recommend eagle rs-a in that size. Very popular choice at our store in that size. You should easily get 40-45k with regular rotation and alignment if you don't light them up at every light. They grip like eagle gts but ride much more comfortably. I've owned them on a 97 maxima, never got stuck in the white stuff and good quiet ride. I got 43k out of them. Also if you call around you can get a really good price on them since they r quite common and everyone stocks them usually.

Yokos or the CS4s.

With the CS4s, you'll love the handling, but there will be a drop in mpgs until they break in....

The CS-4s are far from "great handling," though I guess it is relative to what you are comparing it to.

In that size I would get the Michelin Primacy MXM4.

And sorry, I don't know how anyone can recommend a set of Eagle RSAs in good conscious.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The CS-4s are far from "great handling," though I guess it is relative to what you are comparing it to.

In that size I would get the Michelin Primacy MXM4.

And sorry, I don't know how anyone can recommend a set of Eagle RSAs in good conscious.

+1

There are many tires better and much cheaper than Eagle RSA.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have RSAs on the Saturn. I got a real good deal on them, but they are junk.

What exactly are your specifications that you came down to those two?

Last edited:
lol to each his own. depends on the application , i guess. As far as Michelin goes, if you want an overpriced tire go for it. But there are many other alternate choices out there. Just dont get any Bridgestone G019 , they ride rough and get cupped no matter how regularly you rotate them, and they are loud. Excellent traction though .

Side Note : Out of curiosity , can anyone "not recommending" RS-As possibly elaborate as to why ? like out of personal exp, friends yada yada

The new primacy mx4m are really amazing and not as high as some michelins.. +1 they are truely a great choice right now

I'm looking at about 150$ for 17" thats not typical michelin high.

eagle RSA are HORRID. there are a couple sizes that are decent but i forget which ones.

you need look no farther than tirerack to confirm.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Vehicle: 2008 Pontiac G5 base
Mileage: 40K
Current Tires: OEM Hankook H725 in 205/55/R16

I've narrowed it down to two choices: Goodyear Eagle GT and Cooper CS4. Now I realize these are probably two dramatically different tires and I've never had a "performance" tire like the GT should be.

Am I going to be severely unhappy throwing Goodyears on this vehicle, or do performance tires upgrade the vehicle regardless of what it is? Let's face it, it's an econobox that I occasionaly get adventurous with when the road curves.

Thoughts?

Nothing Goodyear. Just overpriced garbage!

The Cooper CS-4's are an ok tire. Not great not bad.

In your size I would look at...

Hankook Optimo H727( current $50 rebate on set of 4 ) These are nothing like your OE 725's. These are an outstanding passenger car tire. Smooth ride, quiet, long tread life, and very reasonable price. While you say you use your truck and not the car in the snow these tires perform very well in snow should the need arise.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS( Pole Position )
Firestone Precision Touring
Michelin Primacy MXM4( $70 rebate on set of 4 )
BFGoodrish Advantage TA
Yokohama AVID TRZ or Touring-S
General Altimax HP

All of these tires are available in your size, are well reviewed and liked, and for the most part are affordable. Prices will run you somewhere in the $100-$150 range each depending on brand, model, where purchased, etc...

I will state again NO GOODORAYEARS!

Last edited:
goodyear has some ok tires but I feel they are more overpriced for what they are than your average michelin.

I also agree with nehemi's list 100%(except I dont know much about the firestone precision)

Cooper CS4. Dad had them and was very happy with their performance. This was the t rated version which is an 80k tire versus the v rated version which is rated for 60k miles. Excellent wear after 30k miles when he traded the car in.

I think I'm leaning towards the CS4s. Just checked tirerack and appears the Eagle GTs are offshore produced. I'd rather spend my money on domestic produced products where I can.

What concerns me is (believe it or not) tires that last too long. I'm concerned about dry rot, give this is a summer only car. It's taken me 6 years to rack up 40K...

I think I'm leaning towards the CS4s. Just checked tirerack and appears the Eagle GTs are offshore produced. I'd rather spend my money on domestic produced products where I can.

What concerns me is (believe it or not) tires that last too long. I'm concerned about dry rot, give this is a summer only car. It's taken me 6 years to rack up 40K...

Summer only tires: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. It is very good summer tire and costs less than $100 for your size.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Summer only tires: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. It is very good summer tire and costs less than $100 for your size.

Good point. I have these on my car now and they are EXCELLENT. But as stated they are summer only. Very low treadwear numbers (220 in my size).

Note that my car shipped with RS-A's and i also had a Neon R/T with RSA's and they are undoubtedly one of the WORST tires I have ever driven on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back