Best mulching blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. I was wondering what people have had goodluck with in regards to a quality mulching blade. I have a 42" tractor that I want to find a good 3 in 1 mulching blade for.

Gator blades. You can buy them at Amazon. I have a Ninja on my snapper which I would say is better but it's specific to snappers (though Honda has the same thing on some of their mowers).

One other note, notice how the Gator's fins direct air inwards towards the center of the blade. Stens makes a knockoff where these are pointed out. People actually like those as well but the won't work as well as the actual gators, since the gators are directing the cutlings back towards the center to get cut again.

Last edited:
I have the Gator blades on all my John Deere riders, work great. Does not bog down in heavy grass. And no longer need to use a bagger. Saves time from stopping to empty the bags.

If the tractor is an AYP/Husq/Craftsman/Poulan then the "wavy" style OEM blades are very good, otherwise Gator's are very nice. Shop around though, eBay and some small engine sites have them for a steal of a deal.

I use Gator blades on my Deere 757. I can switch to mulching mode on the fly in some very tall grass and it never leaves more than tiny clippings.

All excellent suggestions, but "best mulching" is going to depend on what and how you mow.

Even the highest dollar blades for your 42" won't mulch well if you mow too:

1)Wet
2)Fast
3)Much (deck too low, grass too high)

Joel

I just got a Gator Blade for My Husqvarna HU600F walk behind.

The OEM blade was ok until my Kid ran over a few rocks....So I figured I'll give the Gator a shot.

Hopefully it will work well.

Has anybody compared Gator vs OEM Honda double blades? My internet research tells me that Gator can not beat Honda dual blade setup.

I have been trying to find two gator blades that would fit my Toro zero turn Z4235 42 inch mower. Anyone know what the gator blade model number would be for this mower?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
All excellent suggestions, but "best mulching" is going to depend on what and how you mow.

Even the highest dollar blades for your 42" won't mulch well if you mow too:

1)Wet
2)Fast
3)Much (deck too low, grass too high)

Joel

I agree. My 42" never mows when wet, I do not go full speed but typically 3/4 (not sure the exact MPH for a ride on but it isnt nearly as fast as the wright standers I used to use) I mow at 4" every week and my grass is in good shape but not overly thick.

My main reason for this is to find out what most people use for blades. OEM can sometimes be the best (i.e honda dual blades) but I was wondering what the general consensus was for a great mulching blade.

Hope that helped elaborate on my post

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You just have to spin the blades a bit faster.
u can control that??? How?
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I see many pros cut the lawn when the grass is wet! They must have very powerful equipment.
Not at all, they need to work 7AM 'til whenever. Kinda hard to hire guys to work from noon 'til eight. Mow and clean. Cleaning is the most important.

They do typically have stronger equipment but a lot of it also depends on the engine. Powerful commercial engines wont bog down in wet or thick grass the way residential models will. The bogging in addition to unsharp blades will cause isses while cutting in wet/thick grass. When I was landscaping we used to sharpend and check the balance of each blade every week so we would get the best quality cut. it was tedious but we had a lot of high end clients with wicked nice lawns (sorry, there is the New England in me haha.)

I got myself a pair of gator blades. It is raining for the better part of the week but I ame excited to try them this weekend.

I also recommend Gators.

I have a Craftsman 42'' tractor and with OEM mulching blades that I used to sharpen twice a season in order to get the best cut. I bought Gators in '08 and only sharpened them last year for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back