DEFY vs MAXLIFE vs Mobil1 HM vs. Castrol HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if some of the technically gifted have a sense of how these (all good oils) rank regarding various factors (e.g., additive package, etc.) ? A recent posting said DEFY is 50% synthetic.

I like the mobil-1 HM. It even stopped the puffs of smoke from my Briggs & Stratton engine on my Toro mower. I know, its probably just me, but I like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
I saw the UOA on QS Defy; for all that hype and marketing it is nothing special.

I agree. I have had it in my car for two changes now and it runs smooth but it isn't the amazing oil it was hyped for. Still a solid oil

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I saw the UOA on QS Defy; for all that hype and marketing it is nothing special.

I agree. I have had it in my car for two changes now and it runs smooth but it isn't the amazing oil it was hyped for. Still a solid oil

I wouldn't hesitate running it, just disappointed in the add pack with all that Zinc and AW marketing you would think it would be more robust...

Someone just did a UOA with Defy in a Jeep Wrangler. The 10w30 has 1002 of ZDDP. I remember buster saying he called SOPUS, and one of the other grades had 1200 of ZDDP. The most recent UOA of it showed to be pretty good with a nice additives package.

I use mobil 1 HM on my 2000 eclipse v6 with 90,000 miles and the engine is very quite, no noises at all. No oil consumption. I like this stuff.

I wonder how the HTHS, NOACK and 100C cst numbers compare for Mobil1 HM versus the other high mileage oils ?

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

Theres some conflicting information or confusion on Defy on this site, a VOA was posted that was most disappointing, just a day or two ago the Jeep UOA was posted that was mentioned and it looked to be exactly what SOPUS said it would be, SL levels of ZDDP 1000 ppm zinc and 900 something phosphorus. The 10w40 is said to have 1200 ppm zinc. Also believed to be a 50% syn blend the stuff looks like a bargain and a great match for older vehicles.

All the oils you mentioned are very good, Maxlife is one of the thinner HM oils, Castrol one of the thickest, and of course Mobil has the advantage of being a full syn instead of a blend. I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them.

Since when has a oil been graded on the measurable additive package alone?

To the OP all will provide about the same benefits no need too worry on how well they "protect" against one another.

Maxlife is a synthetic blend and it is the one that's easy to find. Synthetic Maxlife is hard to find. If you compare M1 HM vs Maxlife, then M1 is better for long OCIs since it's supposed to by full synthetic oil. Maxlife is a very good oil though for 5000-8000 mile OCI, depending on engine and driving.

I've been happy with Maxlife in the BMW.
It's on its third run of Maxlife 10W-40, which I will UOA at 4K.
I can tell you that our old Subaru is absolutely swilling down GTX HM, and had much lower consumption on PP.
I've never tried Defy, although I may given the $10.00 MIR.
Some members here have reported very good results with M1 HM, although I've never tried it.
If the right deal comes along (it will), I'll give it a shot.
I'd probably rank these oils, first to last, M1 HM, Maxlife, Defy, GTX HM.
Never having used three of the four, I'm ranking these oils based upon what I've seen here, as well as looking at their add packs.
Of this group, only the M1 is suitable for extended drains, IMHO, although the rare Maxlife full syn probably would be as well.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've been happy with Maxlife in the BMW.
It's on its third run of Maxlife 10W-40, which I will UOA at 4K.
I can tell you that our old Subaru is absolutely swilling down GTX HM, and had much lower consumption on PP.
I've never tried Defy, although I may given the $10.00 MIR.
Some members here have reported very good results with M1 HM, although I've never tried it.
If the right deal comes along (it will), I'll give it a shot.
I'd probably rank these oils, first to last, M1 HM, Maxlife, Defy, GTX HM.
Never having used three of the four, I'm ranking these oils based upon what I've seen here, as well as looking at their add packs.
Of this group, only the M1 is suitable for extended drains, IMHO, although the rare Maxlife full syn probably would be as well.

Do you have a Meijer near you ?? The one near my house has a whole wall dedicated to Maxlife full syn/syn-blend.

Our local Meijer carries Maxlife full syn.
The local Walmarts used to, but no longer.
There is plenty of Valvoline product at Meijer, though.

MaxLife is the best oil period. End of thread.
Trolling.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back