Dexcool in toyota's

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the system is COMPLETELY flushed I don't see it being an issue. Why do you wish to add Dexcool? I know Zerex makes a Japanese antifreeze that is supposed to work nicely. You can buy or order it at your local NAPA

I believe the answer to your question is , yes.

My s-i-l had a 2004 Corolla with 140K which she had topped up with regular (old type) green Peak (before I knew her). The inside of the overflow bottle looked muddy so I flushed it and refilled it with Prestone AMM (a dexclone). It now has 190K and is running great.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Hi.
Can we safely use dexcool coolant in Toyota Camry's?

The Pontiac Vibe comes with the same engine as the Matrix/Corolla. From the factory starting in 2005 (maybe 2004, can't remember) Vibes shipped with DexCool. We have a 2003 and have had, and currently have, DexCool in there without an issue.

At 200,000 miles, I replaced the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, etc, on my Toyota. The inside of the water pump and tube where the thermostat sits looked like a mirror of polished metal. It was incredibly clean. In 275,000 miles, I have never had a cooling problem. My car calls for Toyota Red, and I would use nothing else based on my own experience. Yes, I pay about $10 more, but this is one are I firmly believe the cost is justified.

One thing I don't understand. Some say Dexcool works great as long as the cooling system remains air tight. How do you know if it becomes less than air tight? No one rings a bell, so how do you know? For example, if the reservoir cap was loose, you may run low on coolant, but not run hot, and air would be in your system. Is this thinking correct?

Nope, it's more internet baloney.

We own vans that use Dex and have heat exchangers plumbed into the cooling system. This means WAY more coolant (1.5 gallons) than stock. They also have open coolant overflows and are virtually guaranteed to have air in the system due to miles of plumbing.

Never a Dex issue. Routinely run till component failure which is usually over 200k miles without any problems at all.

But none of that means jack to the OP. He should use the recommended coolant from the mfgr.

Zerex Asian from NAPA. Why not get the right coolant if its not any more money.

I would run DexCool if my vehicle came from the factory with it. But if it came with G-05, thats what I would run, if an Asian vehicle, then the Zerex Asian.

Are we making coolant choices based upon whats in Walmart? I hope not.

Ford recently designated Dex-Cool as their factory coolant for all new models. I don't completely understand this decision since I believe Japanese P-OAT coolant technology is better for aluminum engines than Dex-Cool, but Europeans have a prejudice against phosphates so the decision may have been based on marketing considerations. Prior to Ford's sale of most of its stake in Mazda, Ford jointly developed some of it engines with Mazda and equipped those engines with P-OAT coolant. Ford still mandates the use of P-OAT coolant (Motorcraft Specialty Green) in those vehicles. They have to specifically engineer the cooling systems in new models to accommodate Dex-Cool.

I would not recommend switching a Toyota to use Dex-Cool.

ok thanks for all.I will not use dex-cool.I will switch to Hyundai coolant and change it every 2 years.I can get Hyundai coolant for cost price.

I think that may be a geographical recommendation. Toyota does not use OAT coolants with 2-EHA over here. The link says.. "ZEREX Dex-Cool Concentrate coolant is a long life, universal ethylene glycol based formulation suitable for passenger cars, light duty trucks and 4WD vehicles. When diluted 50% with water, ZEREX Dex-Cool protects modern engine components from winter freezing and summer over boil (please refer to owner’s manual for correct coolant type and concentration)." Not sure what the highlighted means. They recommend it, but waive liability for its use referencing the owners manual maybe.

Valvoline makes a coolant for Asian vehicles sold in the US.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/antifreeze-radiator-products/antifreeze/105

i have huge stock of ACDelco Dexcool.
ok thanks for all.I will not use dex-cool.I will switch to Hyundai coolant and change it every 2 years.I can get Hyundai coolant for cost price.

This subject creates lots of different opinions.
What year Camry?

Do you have a huge stash/stock of DexCool in your posession or just available to you, inexpensively? If you already have a huge stash of DexCool, use it and maintain your vehicle on a regualar basis with it!

If you only have DexCool available to you(even inexpensively), use the correct fluid for your application. Why use Hyundai coolant when you can use Toyota coolant. Unless the Hyundai is comparable to the Toyota in chemistry and the Hyundai is CHEAP!

What is Hyundai Coolant cost to you?
Can you get Toyota Coolant at a good price?
Have you compared the cost of Hyundai/Toyota coolants to the cost of ZEREX Asian or PEAK Global LifeTime?

I've never had cooling system issues when using any brand coolant in any vehicle domestic or import...When well maintained!
And I usually buy by price/cost!

The only vehicles that I have ever had cooling system issues with were vehicle that were know in the industry to have cooling system issues(HG, IMG, WP). Certain GM, Ford, Chrsyler vehicles had their issues as did some imports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back