What coolant '04 Mazda MPV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2004 Mazda MPV with the 3.0 L Ford Duratec motor. Not sure what the best coolant is? The manual, I believe(it's not here in front of me), says to use "???ethyl or ethanol glycol or something like that???". I want to add some to the pressurized storage tank since it's a bit low. I do plan on flushing it myself this summer. Any recommendations for what to use?

Thx Chris142. I went out and read the manual again and it calls for "ethylene-glycol-based coolant".... just to clarify my statement above.

Most manuals will list something ridiculously obvious (yet useless) like ethylene glycol based coolants. 99% of the vehicles on the road are using ethylene glycol based coolants, which include Dex-Cool, Pentofrost, G-05, dexclones, classic green, and a host of others. That doesn't mean one should grab anything off the shelf and go.

G-05 was probably in there from the factory.

If you are planning to flush the system I would top it off with some distilled water. Wont change the % by much and will work fine in the system until you change it. After I would change it to G-05 or Peak Global lifetime

I've used Prestone LL 50/50 in my 04' Mazda6s with the same 3.0 Duratec engine. I've done 4 drain-refills with it in 8 yrs. and never had any problems with it.

I own a 2000 MAZDA MPV. My suggestion is to visit a Mazda dealer and buy a gallon of Mazda long life coolant. Mazda engines use P-OAT coolant (phosphated organic acid technology). Not supposed to mix with traditional green or any other coolant.

If it indeed had G-05 from the factory I would continue with G-05 (Zerex at NAPA) or Zerex Asian if it did not have G-05.

I thought only Ford and Chrysler had G-05?

The factory fill is Mazda long-life coolant. It's their 1st gen P-OAT coolant. Since 2006, Mazda introduced their 2nd-gen P-OAT coolant, called Extended life coolant, good for 10 years. It's also called FL22 (part number: 0000-508E-20)
Since you have a 2004, your best choice is long life coolant. Part number is: 0000-77-505E-20. Both coolants are dark green.

See this link for picture of it.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/newbie-section/208319-coolant-antifreeze-mazda6.html

This link is a TSB from Mazda
http://forum.mpvclub.com/download.php?id=9203
Originally Posted By: windeye
I own a 2000 MAZDA MPV. My suggestion is to visit a Mazda dealer and buy a gallon of Mazda long life coolant. Mazda engines use P-OAT coolant (phosphated organic acid technology). Not supposed to mix with traditional green or any other coolant.

Last edited:
+1

Motorcraft Specialty Green coolant is reportedly the same as Mazda FL22. Ford mandates the use of this coolant in engines co-developed with Mazda. The Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda OE P-OAT coolants are all made by CCI, the dominant coolant company in Japan and appear to be interchangeable. Valvoline makes an aftermarket P-OAT coolant called Zerex Asian Vehicle Antifreeze.

I own a 2003 MPV and replaced my coolant with FL22 purchased from a Mazda dealer. But I would not hesitate to use any of the alternatives I mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back