No more Pennzoil synthetics with dexos approval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad that I do not pay any royalty fee to GM because I use only Valvoline, which does not pay GM, in my Nissan, and I use Motorcraft Full Synthetic in my Mustang.

I'm only "held" to the dexos thing for one vehicle.
('11 equinox). We did have an issue early on (less than 1k miles) regarding the cam phasing in the 2.4L DI engine. At start up the thing sounded like a wore out diesel with no oil- for about a second after start up. Problem seems to be resolved, and now have 13k on the odo. Going to do a uoa pretty soon. If all looks good with the "dexos" oil I'll probably try a oci with PYB or VWB and have a look see with another uoa.
As far as our other vehicles, api SL or better that's on sale and don't look back.

Was at a Wally here on LI and stocked, is a Pennzoil blend with the dexos label. Of course it was 5-30. Also found 0-20 PP which might come in handy re. my 2012 Forester. It is the East Meadow Wally on Old Country Road.

Originally Posted By: super44
I'm only "held" to the dexos thing for one vehicle.
('11 equinox). We did have an issue early on (less than 1k miles) regarding the cam phasing in the 2.4L DI engine. At start up the thing sounded like a wore out diesel with no oil- for about a second after start up. Problem seems to be resolved, and now have 13k on the odo. Going to do a uoa pretty soon. If all looks good with the "dexos" oil I'll probably try a oci with PYB or VWB and have a look see with another uoa.
As far as our other vehicles, api SL or better that's on sale and don't look back.

With this DI engine. I do not know what I would recommend. A HDEO? A ester based oil? If I were you I would just use a oil that stated that is exceeds DEXOS like Napa Synthetic or a DEXOS approved oil.

Has anyone else noticed the conflict betwen what Pennzoil said to sopususer( 1st quote) and what Dexos licensing said to super44( 2nd quote )? Interesting...

Originally Posted By: sopususer
As posted in other threads Pennzoil Platinum has been removed from the approved dexos list. I emailed Shell today with a question as to the future of Pennzoil synthetics and the dexos specification. Here is their reply:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the plan is not to re-certify our Platinum and Ultra brands. You can also consider using our Quaker State Ultimate durability 5W-30. That is a full synthetic and does have the Dexos approvals.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

So looks like the approved SOPUS list for dexos is getting mighty short. Makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and switch to M1 as they've historically always had a good relationship with GM. I'm wondering how much longer SOPUS will pay for QSUD to carry the certification?

I know they are all good oils, but I don't want to fight GM if I ever have an engine/oil concern under warranty.

Update-

Sent an email through dexos™ Licensing website yesterday--
here's the reply I got today-

Thank you for your question. We are glad you asked.

Actually, Pennzoil Platinum will continue to be licensed and will be back on the website by next week. We are pleased to let you know that you will also see other majors launching dexos™ licensed products in the near future.

Best regards,
dexos™ Licensing
The Center for Quality Assurance

4800 James Savage Rd.
Midland, MI 48642 USA
Phone: +1 989 496 2399
Fax: +1 989 496 3438
Email: [email protected]

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Has anyone else noticed the conflict betwen what Pennzoil said to sopususer( 1st quote) and what Dexos licensing said to super44( 2nd quote )? Interesting...

If what I was told a few weeks ago was true and if what Super44 was told is now true, it must have been a royalty/dollar/certification disagreement between SOPUS and GM. I hope Super44's info is correct. As everyone else has chimed in I have little doubt that other non licensed oils would be fine/great in GM vehicles, but to keep warranty issues from being a problem it's just easier not to rock the boat.

GM allows oil companies to just claim "meets DEXOS" if they decide not to pay for DEXOS logo.

GM license bulletin http://www.olyslager.com/_public/download/OEM_BULLETIN_GM_DEXOS 10-2011.pdf

The DEXOS spec is basically the same as GF-5, plus MB 111 and Peugeot TU5JP.
ubbthreads.php

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

As posted in other threads Pennzoil Platinum has been removed from the approved dexos list. I emailed Shell today with a question as to the future of Pennzoil synthetics and the dexos specification. Here is their reply:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the plan is not to re-certify our Platinum and Ultra brands. You can also consider using our Quaker State Ultimate durability 5W-30. That is a full synthetic and does have the Dexos approvals.

Regards,
Technical Service, sn

So looks like the approved SOPUS list for dexos is getting mighty short. Makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and switch to M1 as they've historically always had a good relationship with GM. I'm wondering how much longer SOPUS will pay for QSUD to carry the certification?

I know they are all good oils, but I don't want to fight GM if I ever have an engine/oil concern under warranty.

Update-

Sent an email through dexos™ Licensing website yesterday--
here's the reply I got today-

Thank you for your question. We are glad you asked.

Actually, Pennzoil Platinum will continue to be licensed and will be back on the website by next week. We are pleased to let you know that you will also see other majors launching dexos™ licensed products in the near future.

Best regards,
dexos™ Licensing
The Center for Quality Assurance

4800 James Savage Rd.
Midland, MI 48642 USA
Phone: +1 989 496 2399
Fax: +1 989 496 3438
Email: [email protected]

Either plans have changed or GM is throwing stuff against the ceiling and hoping it sticks?

Well Pennzoil Platinum is officially BACK on the list.

I hope SOPUS and GM can have a create a little stability and end this back and forth stuff.

Yeah I just saw that, that's good stuff! Although from here on out I'm sticking to qsud on my 2011 gm crew cab.

Hello Everyone – While we realize that this thread has been closed for quite some time, we wanted to take the launch of Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology as an opportunity to clear up some misconceptions about dexos1 approvals for Pennzoil products. Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology have a dexos1 approval for the following viscosities: 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30. To learn more about Pennzoil please visit www.bobistheoilguy.com/pennzoil or www.MotorOilReimagined.com. Please feel free to direct message SuzanneClerkin with any questions. – The Pennzoil Team

I love Pennzoil products but I do have a few concerns and questions for u ,im currently using platinum 0w20 and its a great oil but I want to try out the ultra in that same grade but cant seem to find it anywhere and Walmart or any other retailer don't seem to carry it,so why are u guys advertising it if no one can buy it,i tried amazon and other sites online and says wont ship till one or two months?!?! other question I have is dexos 1,the tech sheet for platinum 0w20 says approved for gm but doesn't say that on the bottles,thank u in advance again I love your products

Originally Posted By: Bloodknights
I love Pennzoil products but I do have a few concerns and questions for u ,im currently using platinum 0w20 and its a great oil but I want to try out the ultra in that same grade but cant seem to find it anywhere and Walmart or any other retailer don't seem to carry it,so why are u guys advertising it if no one can buy it,i tried amazon and other sites online and says wont ship till one or two months?!?! other question I have is dexos 1,the tech sheet for platinum 0w20 says approved for gm but doesn't say that on the bottles,thank u in advance again I love your products

I don't think ultra comes in 0W-20. Have you tried Mobil 1 0W-20?

Too many good companies out there now, making quality oils. The fact that Pennzoil/QS dont have post 2012 vehicles on their oil selector function can be a difference maker for the avg joe when deciding what he will purchase...it was for me. "The devil's in the details."

Eventually even SuperTech synthetic will relent and pay the Dexos fee. It's just too big a market...and growing. What if Toyota did that? Or Ford? The average consumer would be paying for a lot of needless license fees.

Originally Posted By: Garak
See, the cheque was just lost in the mail.
wink.gif

Yep; and at this point GM can use all the cheques they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back