Auto-RX for '91 Volvo 940 with original turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm driving a 91 Volvo 940SE with about 160,000 miles on it. Turbo (water cooled, BTW) is original and doesn't seem to be losing much oil through the seals yet - maybe a tbs every oil change as collected in the intercooler. The engine appears to be remarkably sound for it's mileage and doesn't seem to exhibit the piston slap that is supposed to be common with this vintage. There is slight valve noise just off idle, but not much to worry about.
I intend to make the change to full synthetic at the next oil change and wanted to get some input on whether to bother with something like AutoRx first or just go ahead and swap.
My biggest concern is if there's any crud that's going to be let go and mess with the turbo bearings and seals.
I'd hate to do something like this in the name of good and then have to explain to DW that there was a technical problem.

Thanks!

Ben

What oil (brand, weight, change frequency) have you been using in this vehicle? My 94' 944T (106K)seems to like the Mobil 1 0-40.

Auto-Rx has worked well in my '96 855T with 96k. Maybe the turbo is spinning up faster...anyway, it runs fine after the Auto-Rx. I'm presently using Schaeffer #703 10W-30. If this car was driven on longer trips and in hotter weather, I'd use Schaeffer #700 15W-40. I use Mann oil and air filters.

The only places I've found for M1 0W-40 locally was $8 at a Volvo dealer or $6 from the Mobil lubes distributor. Schaeffer oils are $3.25 and have the same ACEA A3 rating as the M1 0W-40. A3 requires high HT/HS viscosity and passed the extended drain interval tests.

Ken

I've had the car for about 7500 miles now, did the first two changes with Mann filters and GTX 10w-30.
I've been lurking on the OilDrop for awhile and gather that if I would like to keep my Volvo repair costs down, it would be wise to put a little extra $$ in the crankcase.
The two previous owners had the car serviced at a Volvo dealer in Bremerton. Records show religous oil changes and whatnot, but I don't think there's any mention of having used synthetic oil.
Oil consumption so far has been as close to zero between oil changes as I can read on the dip-stick. Obviously a little blowing by the turbo seals, but not enough to worry about topping up when we're talking about spoonfulls.
My worry is that switching to a full synthetic without doing AutoRX type treatment might cause some unseen area of coked up nastiness to start breaking up and grind up the turbo seals/bearings.

Does this sound like a legitimate worry?

Mobile 1 0w-40 is readily available here in Bellingham. I can also tap Pablo for some Amsoil if I decided to go that route.

Ben

Ben, I switched my 94-944T over to synthetic at 95,000, no problems. Schaeffer's 10-30, 15-40, or a mix of both would be a good choice too. I also use Schaeffer's Neutra (#131) in the gas and that works great too. No oil usage, no leaks.

Ben - thanks!

Auto-Rx should be no problem. Not required if routine maintenance was kept up, but not a problem as it seems harmless.

I assume you hang at the brickboard.com - plenty of great 940 advice there. My brother has basically the same car (92 945). Seeing how you are local, and a fellow Volvo nut to boot, give me a shout on my cell (the number is on my site via the site sponsor link)

PS There are several grades of Amsoil synthetic I recommend - starting with 10W-30 (great oil LOW cost) - and other grades that cost a tad less and a tad more - since you're local/Volvo guy we could work something out...

[ April 15, 2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

rat_rider
lol.gif

There's a deal for you, Ben, that's almost TGTBT! I would wonder if the 15W-40 Amsoil wouldn't be better for a turbo over a decade old? Is that not what is the primary recommendation for almost all the turbocharged diesels?

Hey, I used to own a Volvo (or two): is Portland "local" enough for you, Pablo?
rolleyes.gif

cheers.gif

I was just south...well I was in Richland Fri/Sat/Sun ...which is still a long way from Portland (but still closer than Lynden!)

I May be down in May for the Annual IPD sale in Portland....

Pablo: Send me an e-mail when you know the date of the IPD sale, if & when you are coming... Please.
cheers.gif

Oh, yeah... This is
offtopic.gif

Thanks guys! I think I'll skip the AutoRx for now and just go Synthetic.

Volvo recommends 10w30 in this model and that's what I've been using so far.

Pablo, I'll give you a call soon so we can talk about the oiling habits of Volvos.
phone.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back