oil additive for more pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
what would be a good additive to make the oil pressure raise up some for a while till i can rebuild or sale my engine 2.8 gm 1987 115,200 original mile motor.,any thoughts or ideas....thanks.

what oil are you running now? does it use much? whats the lowest temp you would drive it in?what makes you think it needs more pressure?

Last edited:
well my oil light flashes at idle after a long ride ....but i can drive all day at in town speed and it will not flash at all ....weak pump maybe ?...running 10w40 valvoline now with 1 qt lucas.....don't use any no smoke pipes burn ash color...mid 20's lowest temps in winter....thanks for quick reply.

your in Hawaii it gets in the teens where i am and he is the next state south to me me myself i wouldnt run anything more than 10w40 in the winter here max!I run 10w30 And 5w30 would be better

could be idiot light giving you false readings but if you are running 10w40 and lucas that thing must be sludged up or loose idk some guys here will give you input but i wouldnt put that lucas in anything of mine.You are at 10w40 now maybe some HM oil or HDEO .

The old 2.8s are known for oil pressure issues.Its the way they are.I had a 83 Camaro 2.8 with 69K miles and it flashed the oil light at idle.Didnt burn oil either.

jsnyder i'm new here and really don't know all the abbreviations for the letters you have up....sorry i'll learn soon with help.so lucas is a no go on next oil change...any other recommendations for a treatment ...this car sat for 6 years ....its a 87 pontiac fiero GT. .

NHGUY same era of 2.8 it runs great no ticking ,no noises ,no anything ...i'm also thinking maybe the oil sending unit plug.....water runs on it through the vents right down on it at the electrical plug.....maybe next check.

that would be my first check HM is high mileage oil HDEO is Heavy Duty Engine oil HM is if you are leaking and want some benefits but you are not leaking or burning.Is the oil very dark on the stick is there sludge in the valve cover??thinking maybe a flush would help and some HDEO for the detergents idk somebody else will chime in and give their input.

ok ,jsnyder thanks for the info and thanks i'll go get that in a bit and try it....no sludge that i see oil on stick has a yellow/clear/light brown color looks good with 1200 miles on oil change.

swap out the oil sending unit make sure to clean the connection and see what happens. its hard to believe the bearings would be that bad but we dont know how it was treated previously so...

yeah i've only had it about a month or so ...after sitting that long .....it was in mud up to the bottom of doors had to have a wrecker pull it out ....i put a control module and new battery in fired right up ran rough ,...bad gas .runs great now other than this problem.i just changed the oil to 15w40 havoline and a acdelso pf52 filter a little longer then factory...so far pressure staying up .....hope it stays there ....thanks guys .

keith.

yeah i've only had it about a month or so ...after sitting that long .....it was in mud up to the bottom of doors had to have a wrecker pull it out ....i put a control module and new battery in fired right up ran rough ,...bad gas .runs great now other than this problem.i just changed the oil to 15w40 havoline and a acdelso pf52 filter a little longer then factory...so far pressure staying up .....hope it stays there ....thanks guys .

keith.

15W40 is a good idea....but perhaps try some Seafoam in the crankcase, typically 1.5 oz. per quart.....change it out within 5000 miles (3000 is recommended....).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back