Redline break in additive check out the MSDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Line's additive has been mentioned here before.

The chart there is also a good reminder to dose things properly. One bottle of the additive in a five quart sump will result in a corrosive level of ZDDP. The half bottle recommendation makes much more sense.

In any case, what oil is the assumption based upon? After all, modern API oils do have ZDDP, usually from 600 to 800 ppm. HDEOs tend to have 1200 or so. Beware one's starting point, too.

For sure Garak i would only use 1/4 bottle if that,i think we are all only getting 800ppm max unless you use 15w up or a high dollar race oil.I dont believe the specs on the manufacters site,how can 10w30 VR1 and 20w/50 have the same amount of zinc? I think they have read some of these threads and are taking advantage of our desire to keep are engines alive with zinc.I dont believe the Defy is over 800 ppm either.

Well, we went through the 10w-30 versus the 20w-50 in the other thread. Defy is above 800 ppm, at least according to SOPUS customer service. Do recall that plenty of HM oils have no API or ILSAC rating at all.

Until the PQIA happens to compare the HM oils, we'll really never know. As for the Red Line stuff, I'm not positive, but I believe Red Line themselves might have a chart that's based upon a certain baseline ZDDP level, to make things easier.

I dose only up to 1250-1400 PPM for Group 4 stuff
some oils ,like mobil racing, doesnt require any (1550-2200PPM)

I'm surprised Red Line used this terminology: "Allow pistons rings to seat properly with less-slick oil,"

My chops got busted here recently for using the term "less slippery" in a break in oil discussion.
spankme2.gif

I brought it to Redline's attention that 16.6 gm S + 9.4gm Zn + 7.8gm P does NOT = 33.8 gm ZDDP.
ZDDP also consists of 4 alkyl groups, averaging about 6 carbons. So 9.4gm Zn goes into 90-100gm ZDDP.
I'd like to know the size and make-up of those alkyl groups (thermal stability) but they won't tell me.

Charlie

Quote:
I brought it to Redline's attention that 16.6 gm S + 9.4gm Zn + 7.8gm P does NOT = 33.8 gm ZDDP.
ZDDP also consists of 4 alkyl groups, averaging about 6 carbons. So 9.4gm Zn goes into 90-100gm ZDDP.
I'd like to know the size and make-up of those alkyl groups (thermal stability) but they won't tell me.

Good observation, but there are different flavors of ZDDP with varying ratios of metals and phos.

This reminds me of the stuff Bruce371 gave me. It was essentially what the oil companies add to the base oil to make a finished oil. Zinc and phosphorus were at levels about 20,000 ppm. I still have half a quart after sharing it with Gary Allen (RIP). I usually add 2 oz of this stuff to a crankcase load.

I don't put any oil additive in the Ranger though because she is running Redline and there is plenty of zddp in Redline.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

Good observation, but there are different flavors of ZDDP

Yes, as I stated, I would like to know the carbon group structure of the ZDDPs in their formulation.
That would tell me its' suitability for diesels vs. breakin for gasoline engine.

Charlie

the ZDDP in the break-in imho is pretty low in terms of durability
halved my OCI after i doped it to 1650 PPM levels .

differnt story when i changed to a high inherent ZDDP level oil (mobil racing 0W30/50)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back