Best Dexos2 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I own diesel Opel Insignia and live in Russia, where the choice of oil is somewhat limited. So i'm looking what is the best oil Dexos2 from what is available here

GM Dexos2
Fuchs Titan G1 Pro Flex
Liqui Moly Top Tec 4600
Motul 8100 X-clean
Motul Specific Dexos2
Shell Helix Ultra AG 5W-30

My current preference is Motul Specific Dexos2. Would really appreciate some input on those options.

I would use any of those oils, whichever one you can get cheapest. If they all meet the Dexos 2 specification so you should be fine with any of them.

Don't get too caught up in the "dexos" specs. They are not greatly better than ILSAC GF-5. Look at those oils' product data sheets and see what looks the best. I will make the assumption that the Fuchs Titan is one of the better lubes. Do some research on the oils.

Well, my car is still under warranty, so i cannot use anything that isn't Dexos2 approved. As far as i know GM branded Dexos2 (made by Wolfe Belgium) is pretty basic oil. Given the heavy driving conditions in Moscow combined with OCI of 15000 km, i want to get the best possible oil.

I'm trying to do some research on oil, but for newbie it is very hard to separate marketing b**it from truth. For example, i couldn't figure what is the real difference between Motul X-clean and Specific Dexos2.

Also, regarding Fuchs. As far as understand there is newer XTL oils, and "old" oil. XTL oils are not available in Russia at the moment, so i not 100% sure if regular Titan G1 would be the best option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Xevus
Given the heavy driving conditions in Moscow combined with OCI of 15000 km, i want to get the best possible oil.

15000 km isn't a long OCI. I routinely did 20k km OCIs on my Golf TDI with 5w40 CJ-4 oil and upped it to 30k km after adding a bypass filter, which probably wasn't necessary to go that long.

IMO, keep the oil level topped up and run whichever Dexos 2 oil you can find easily/inexpensively.

30k km is normal EU OCI for my car, but due to extreme weather, driving conditions and far from perfect fuel this interval is halved in Russia.

Last edited:
I'm going with the Shell Helix-I know A few people in different countries that use it...though mind you, they live in warmer areas...

I own diesel Opel Insignia and live in Russia, where the choice of oil is somewhat limited.

Come on ! In Moscow you have one of the widest choices of oils in the world.

As for specified oils, how oils made from relatively unexpensive base stocks and additive packages reduced by 1/3 may withstand even 15K km OCI in Moscow where cars pass 3-4h everyday in horiffic traffic jams ? Seems manufacturers simply don't really care about what's inside engine until a car still runs. Or may be they rely that their new engines, especially diesels, run cooler in traffic jams and therefore oils oxidize less ?

Think it would be wise to keep away from all ACEA C3 oils like Dexos2 if you don't expect to sell your car after 3 years, but need more than 10K km OCI. Theoretically an authorized dealer's service should not object against using ACEA A3/B3 oil with OPEL GM LL-B-025 approval. If you a fan of Motul, suggest them to pour 8100 X-cess.

And there is one point that is quite unusual for EE: a dealer who allows to use an oil as per customer's choice. As a rule a dealer's service has 2-3 grades of OEM oils and 2-3 grades of brand oils from 1 manufacturer, and by hook and by crook it fights against customers bringing with them some oils even those approved by OEM. However your list shows 6 oils from 5 different manufacturers. Does your service have all these oils or is it just your wish ?

Last edited:
Well, we do have pretty big selection, but when it comes to Dexos2 spec oil, the choice isn't that big. I've never heard about half of brands in the list, and many other brands simply don't have Dexos2 oil in our market. Plus there is a LOT of counterfeit oil, especially among major brands - Castrol, Mobil and Shell.

I'm fortunate enough that my homework route doesn't have jams, and it takes me 30 mins maximum. Plus, i try to give the engine and DPF a long smooth run at 120 km/h at least once a week. I cannot use anything other than Dexos2 for warranty reasons, it is mandatory oil since MY2010.

My preferred dealer is sensible enough to allow my own oil and parts for maintenance. However, even most stubborn dealers that don't allow customers parts still don't have any problems using the customers oil. Their margin on oil is much less than on parts, so they don't argue much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Primus

Think it would be wise to keep away from all ACEA C3 oils like Dexos2 if you don't expect to sell your car after 3 years, but need more than 10K km OCI. Theoretically an authorized dealer's service should not object against using ACEA A3/B3 oil with OPEL GM LL-B-025 approval. If you a fan of Motul, suggest them to pour 8100 X-cess.

Primus , he should strictly follow the manual . He absolutely needs a low or mid SAPS oil ( ACEA C3) . Read what Lubrizol found out in pages 19-20 when a non specified older generation lubricant is used in new direct injection , gas or diesel engines:
http://www.lubrizol.com/engineoiladditives/acea/conferencepapers/lowersaps.pdf

Maintaining engine performance
• Example 1 : Euro 4 direct injection gasoline engines
– Field test comparison of a Euro 4 lower SAPS engine oil with an
OEM-approved Euro 3 engine oil
– Results shows significantly increased levels of inlet and exhaust
valve deposits with the Euro 3 oil compared to the Euro 4 oil
• Inlet valve deposits increased by 42%
• Exhaust valve deposits increased by 167%
– This resulted in
• Loss of power
• Poor drivability
• Increased exhaust emissions

Example 2 : Euro 4 direct injection diesel engines
– Field test comparison of a Euro 4 lower SAPS engine oil with an
OEM approved Euro 3 engine oil
– Results show that the Euro 3 oil gave
• Increased piston deposit formation
• Increased particulate emissions
• Increased EGR pipe blockage
over 42% blocked by soot
– This resulted in
• Loss of combustion efficiency
• Increased exhaust emissions
Testing of the Euro 3 oil resulted in the EGR pipe being
over 42% blocked with soot, restricting air flow and
leading to a loss in combustion efficiency.

motul x-clean 5W40

Engines compliant with EURO IV and EURO V emission regulation are fitted with sensitive exhaust
gas after treatment systems. Indeed, Sulfur and Phosphorus inhibit catalytic converters operation
leading to inefficient exhaust gas treatment; and Sulfated Ashes clog DPFs leading to shorten
regenerating cycle, quick oil aging, higher fuel consumption and engine power loss.

The ACEA C3 standard requests from the lubricant significant oil film resistance and low emission
performance for powerful engines: MOTUL 8100 X-clean 5W-40 has synthetic base stocks and
dedicated SAPS levels that generates outstanding oil film resistance, reduces friction in the engine
and provides after treatment devices compatibility.

MOTUL 8100 X-clean 5W-40 brings high
lubricating properties such as wear protection and high temperature resistance for better controlled oil
consumption. ACEA C3 lubricants achieve extended drain intervals managed by vehicles on-board
computer

specific motul dexos2 5W30

Recent GM-OPEL engines compliant with EURO IV and EURO V emission regulations are fitted with
very sensitive exhaust gas after treatment systems. Indeed, Sulfur and Phosphorus inhibit catalytic
converters (CAT) operation leading to inefficient exhaust gas treatment; and Sulfated Ashes clog
Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) leading to shorten regenerating cycle, quick oil aging, higher fuel
consumption and engine power loss.

For example, i couldn't figure what is the real difference between Motul X-clean and Specific Dexos2.

The x-clean is more versatile meeting additional approvals ( for BMW , Mercedes etc) and may be more expensive .

The difference in price between X-clean and Specific Dexos2 is negligible, less than 5%. What i can't understand - is X-clean a better oil in my case ?

Well, we do have pretty big selection, but when it comes to Dexos2 spec oil, the choice isn't that big. I've never heard about half of brands in the list, and many other brands simply don't have Dexos2 oil in our market. Plus there is a LOT of counterfeit oil, especially among major brands - Castrol, Mobil and Shell.

As for availability of Dexos2 elsewhere, the situation is not much different and may be even worse. Besides, the fears of conterfeits are too exaggerated. The main problem is [censored] design of some new engines, wrong choices/compromises with engine components' suppliers on quality and so called "new trend in industry" and "improvments" made with oils.

I cannot use anything other than Dexos2 for warranty reasons, it is mandatory oil since MY2010.

On your list of oils there is Shell Helix Ultra AG 5W-30. I used it in Mazda6 and still have a couple of bottles from different years. The latest one is made in June 2011, but it does not bear Dexos2. However it meets GM LL-A025 and LL-B025. And you know that oils bearing such indication are approved by GM/OPEL and therefore can be used in OPEL cars. And OPEL says that if Dexos2 is not available, it recommends to use LL-A025 and LL-B025. This is a door to use I wanted to point out in my previous notes. But I would say more: in Belarus, Russia, Serbia and Turkey OPEL recommends to use these oils instead Dexos2. If you don't believe, open any manual in English.

To Yannis,
Let me disagree, but I will give my comments a little bit later. Sorry.

Last edited:
Page 226 - Dexos2 should be used in Belarus, Russia, Moldavia, Serbia and Turkey. Only if Dexos2 isn't available, LL-B025 is allowed.

You are right. I've missed this short notice below the table. Anyway your dealer cannot prohit you to use LL-B025 oils. Interesting that in case of european service schedule OPEL allows simply ACEA C3 except for Belarus, Russia, Moldavia, Serbia and Turkey, but in case of international service schedule including a.m.countries first come LL-A025 and LL-B025, and then ACEA A3/B4/C3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Very interesting, guys. It sure puts into perspective our obsession over which SN/GF-5 5w-20 or 5w-30 to use, huh?

lol

Originally Posted By: Primus
Interesting that in case of european service schedule OPEL allows simply ACEA C3 except for Belarus, Russia, Moldavia, Serbia and Turkey, but in case of international service schedule including a.m.countries first come LL-A025 and LL-B025, and then ACEA A3/B4/C3.

As you know the use of low SAPS oils requires fuels with extremely low sulfur content ( around 10ppm), sulfur causes rapid depletion of detergents-TBN . These low sulfur fuels probably are not widely available in countries outside European Union thus the recommendation of dexos2 ,which is more robust, in both gas and diesel engines over dexos1 in Belarus, Russia, Moldavia, Serbia and Turkey.
If fuel quality is in question i wouldn't hesitate to reduce the oil change interval by 50% even with dexos2.

Hmm, i thought that low SAPs is ACEA C4, and ACEA C3 is "mid SAPs" ? Also, i'm pretty sure that oil cannot meet Dexos2 without meeting C3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back