Gun Butter... any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bite but you may not like it. I have been around firearms my entire life. I am a certified armorer for several popular law enforcement weapons and I am very into maintainence. I have tried alot of different gun care products and done a lot of experimenting.
Products like gun butter are pure hype, nothing but expensive crrahhppp IMO. These "wonder" oils are ridiculously expensive and dont do anything any normal priced gun oil couldn't do. For example, Gun butter is on sale right now at midwayusa. It is $12 for 2/3oz!!! Not even 1 once of product for $12....Are you insane, what are they selling? liquid gold???? Cmon.
Any of the lower priced, more trusted gun oils will work just as well, heck if not better than gun butter at nearly 1 tenth the price.
Break free CLP, Birchwood casey synthetic gun oil, Ballistol are all trusted stand bys, work great and can usually be found for less than a dollar an ounce. Personally, my favorite of those 3 is Ballistol followed by the Birchwood casey.
If you really want an expensive "wonder" oil, try Weapon Shield, it does work great but doesnt clean well enough and costs too much for me.

In 30 years as a shooting hobbyist, I've tried just about every cleaner and lube there is. They all work, even (gasp) WD40. Right now I used a recommend Shooters Choice FP10, mostly because it smells nice, ia an "all-in-one" CLP and is supposedly non-toxic.

Not only am I a certified Gunsmith/Armorer I to have been around weapons ALL my life. I'm telling you from FIRST hand experience there is NO BETTER firearm lubricant in the known universe.
I know guys who have used and use it in current theater; Afghanistan.
If all you can do is reference what you have read please go to the website:

http://www.gunbutter.com/

And read away. In particular:

http://www.gunbutter.com/?p=147

Scroll down to the third from the bottom entitled 'Afghan Eddie O'... These are the folk I personally know!

I have even had feedback from a close friend former Marine (OORAH!) who told me it makes him shoot better. As all the recoil is placed into the springs (semi-auto) and friction is lost from the equation...

In bolt-action firearms it decreases lock time...

Semi-autos run the way they should with a lightened trigger pull and smoother action...

In full auto firearms it will reliably increase cyclic rate!!!

I know the Navy SEALs use it and there is no outfit that puts a firearm through more torture than them (HOOYAH)!

Gun Butter does NOT attract dust, dirt, sand, or talcum powder
smile.gif

It stays where you put it. It eliminates corrosion. Doesn't allow fouling to stick. Kills rust. This lube does not freeze nor can you light it on fire! I wouldn't use any lube that catches fire, in a FIREARM (such as WD-40). CLP is making a pasty mess in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I guarantee if you use it as prescribed your cleaning supplies will change!!! And a 2/3oz bottle will last well over a year going to the range every weekend with three firearms
(ie: 870, AR-15, and 1911) So do the math...

If all you do is shoot your guns to make them go bang and don't care about the wear and tear, accuracy or functionality then by all means go the cheap route. But, if you rely on your firearm to bring home the bacon or cover your six or to protect your FAMILY...

THERE IS NO BETTER FIREARM LUBRICANT!!! PERIOD!

Originally Posted By: Damien
Not only am I a certified Gunsmith/Armorer I to have been around weapons ALL my life. I'm telling you from FIRST hand experience there is NO BETTER firearm lubricant in the known universe.

I have even had feedback from a close friend former Marine (OORAH!) who told me it makes him shoot better. As all the recoil is placed into the springs (semi-auto) and friction is lost from the equation...

I know the Navy SEALs use it and there is no outfit that puts a firearm through more torture than them (HOOYAH)!

SIGH. Based on those statements right there, you haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about when it comes to firearms.
Please explain how any lubricant could possibly decrease lock time??? Actually dont bother explaining that one, because you wont be able to and you wouldn't be correct even if you tried.
All the friction is "placed" into the springs and friction is lost from the equation.... *****

Please don't listen to this guy, he must be trying to sell this stuff.

This is the land of *Bob is the oil guy* magic lubes have their day in the sun and soon fade on the horizon.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: Damien

SIGH. Based on those statements right there, you haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about when it comes to firearms.
Please explain how any lubricant could possibly decrease lock time??? Actually dont bother explaining that one, because you wont be able to and you wouldn't be correct even if you tried.
All the friction is "placed" into the springs and friction is lost from the equation.... *****

Please don't listen to this guy, he must be trying to sell this stuff.

He's a one post wonder.

I don't know about Gun Butter, but I use Break Free CLP or motor oil.

Currently using Ballistol with good results . Next product I want to try is M-Pro 7 CLP ...Either one should be good enough with regular use .

Originally Posted By: AMC
I'll bite but you may not like it. I have been around firearms my entire life. I am a certified armorer for several popular law enforcement weapons and I am very into maintainence. I have tried alot of different gun care products and done a lot of experimenting.
Products like gun butter are pure hype, nothing but expensive crrahhppp IMO. These "wonder" oils are ridiculously expensive and dont do anything any normal priced gun oil couldn't do. For example, Gun butter is on sale right now at midwayusa. It is $12 for 2/3oz!!! Not even 1 once of product for $12....Are you insane, what are they selling? liquid gold???? Cmon.
Any of the lower priced, more trusted gun oils will work just as well, heck if not better than gun butter at nearly 1 tenth the price.
Break free CLP, Birchwood casey synthetic gun oil, Ballistol are all trusted stand bys, work great and can usually be found for less than a dollar an ounce. Personally, my favorite of those 3 is Ballistol followed by the Birchwood casey.
If you really want an expensive "wonder" oil, try Weapon Shield, it does work great but doesnt clean well enough and costs too much for me.

As the national distributor of GunButter, I am offended by your lack of knowledge of the product, and the tests that have proven it's worth.

Without getting into a [censored] match with you, please look at the list of shooting world champs that have used GunButter to eliminate wear in their race guns. Also look at the testimonials from troops in theater that trust their lives on the product. Just from the fact that you use Break Free proves that you do not have a clue about what an ultra high quality lubricant can do, as many troops have died from the lack of lubrication and cleaning ability provided by CLP. Which is a proven, non disputable fact.

Sometimes you DO get what you pay for. The lubricant was developed by BOEING, and the quality of ingredients in GunButter are NOT CHEAP.

If you have not tried it, you have zero room to judge it on it's merits and your opinion is useless.

IF you are open minded enough, I would be more than happy to send you a pen oiler sample, you just may change your mind. I will PM you my email address.

Dave-

EDIT: PM sent with contact info.

Ugh, man you salesmen are tough. My "lack of knowledge" about your product is just the same as everyone else's that uses it. Your website is filled with anecdotal information and stories. Typical of most hyped products, it has no MSDS listed and even if there was one that I couldn't find, I am guessing the important information like product make up, flash point, pour point are mysteriously not listed or have a N/A next to them. Please show us a falex friction test with results, how about some unscientific tests on friction or corrosion via video? Maybe even send your sample to an accredited 3rd party lab, let them test it and then post the reults here if you have so much confidence. Even the wording on the website is ridiculous. Here is an excerpt on how to use gun butter in cold climates: "If extreme cold (-40 degrees F. or below) is encountered or expected ensure a micro-mono layer is applied to sliding contact surfaces. Function is assured in extreme cold and freezing conditions; full high performance capabilities will accelerate and be realized instantaneously as weapon fire commences".

A micro-mono layer...Riiight, sure, yeah...lol

Anecdotal testimonials mean nothing, reguardless of who they are from. On that note, does gun butter have an NSN? If so, please list it here. If it doesn't, the soliders who use gun butter on their US Government issue weapons are not follwing regulation and would be subject to discipline.

All of my issued weapons were maintained with breakfree CLP or Ballistol (Both have an NSN number but this was just before the switch to royco clp as the standard issue) while I was in Iraq and none of my or any of my soliders weapons malfunctioned due to lubrication problems. Improper use of weapons and weapon care products is what causes problems, rarely the care products themselves.

I'm sure gun butter is made up of quality ingredients in a quality manufacturing facility. That still doesn't mean it is worth the MSRP of $15 for 2/3rds OZ. Say my department wanted to switch to gun butter as the primary standard issue lubricant for our weapons. How much would a gallon of this stuff cost? Using the price above (which is actually lower than the listed MSRP on your website) that would be over $2000 dollars a gallon. I got news for ya, no security, police or military unit with even the most laid back procurement personell are going to buy this stuff in bulk. There is such a thing called price to performance ratio and gun butter is going to be lopsided in this respect, regadless of what it can do.

Now, if you like I will give gun butter a fair PERFORMANCE review if you were to send me a free sample. That is a kind thing to do and I would see the polite business gesturein doing so. I am not absolute about anything and I consider myself pretty open minded. I will put it through my usual unscientific tests of reducing friction and preventing corrosion. I will post the reults here and other places so everyone else can see. I will have to warn you though, even if gun butter passed all my tests and beats all the other gun care fluids I have tested, I still wouldn't buy it personally. Why, you ask? Because I am an average working person with a family and bills and gun butter is just too expensive to be practical. Don't take this as being rude, I know everyone has their preferances and opinions but you have to keep the end user in mind. Gun butter is just too expensive for most people, myself included.

PM sent

I would be more than happy to send you a sample. Yes there is an NSN, however I would have to get that from the owner, it's just one of the lubes I sell, and am not privy to a lot of information without asking.
The flash and pour points are just generally stated on the website, and I have asked him to do some refreshing of the site.
On the cost side, I agree that the msrp is high and companies that carry GB tend to look for profit on things like this. However.... As I stated in my PM to you, a little goes a very long way, will stay there for thousands of rounds and only requires a wipe down from a microfiber or the such, then just re assemble the firearm, there is still plenty of lubricant there.
FWIW, I have an assortment of the "wonder lubes" here that I use/carry. Gun Butter,Slide Glide,Militec-1,Slip2000,M-Pro 7,Frog Lube, Wilson Combat Ultima II, along with all the "basics", Hoppes,Remlube, etc... SO I am far from biased, I'm not trying to tell you what to buy, or sell you anything. But I CAN tell you, is that there IS a difference between something like " Break Free " and something like Ultima II or GB.

So with that said, my life is worth the $15.....

Ok well thank you for being up front with everyone about the part that gun butter isnt the only thing you sell.

The main questions I asked about gun butter are still largly unanswered though.

Yes there IS a difference between the "basics" (most of which I don't like or recommend either by the way) and "Wonder" oils like gun butter. The problem is that so long as the the oil, whatever it might be, keeps your gun clean, functioning, and rust free, it works. That being said, IS an over priced wonder oil 9like gun butter) worth spending your hard earned cash on? Practically and functionally, no. If it really helps you sleep better at night and get more enjoyment out of your firearms, sure, its your money.

I don't care what oil your gun is treated with, it is still going to wear at least some, still going to get dirty during firing and need cleaning later and still going to rust eventually if it is neglected.

We as BITOG people know this is the same argument we hear over and over about motor oil and it still holds true. Using a better type of engine oil doesn't stop your engine from wearing, doesn't stop the oil from getting contaminated, doesn't increase horsepower or any other practical function other than comfort you mentally.

Now (sheesh), to again answer the OP's question. Is Gun Butter any good? Maybe, but it isn't worth the price.

Let me ask you this.

Would you spend $3000+ on a pistol, or $8000 on a rife, or $100,000+ on a Purdey over/under shotgun?

IMHO, it's a matter of context. Some people do not care what things cost. My personal GunButter bottle is 4oz.

"Mirco Mono layer" is what told me that the people selling this stuff have no clue about lubrication. A layer of oil that is only one molecule thick will be absolutely useless as the asperities on the surface of the metal are FAR larger than this.

For something that costs so much, I want to see some sort of ingredient list as well a significant battery of standardized testing to show why it is worth it. What is the AW ability of this oil? Does it have any EP properties to help protect when the oil portion runs off?

I've seen the MSDS on this stuff and reads very similar to a PCMO.

$20 an once (or whatever) is nuts.

Also being in Vegas, I would be more than happy to get you some as well. I actually go though a lot of it at the Clark co. public range, after they TRY the fluid.
That thickness of film is with the metal conditioned and the "peaks / troughs " contain GunButter. After using normal and HDEO's, it does not act anything like a motor oil.

Dave-

You willing to meet at the range and try GunButter Tempest?
I can bring a large assortment of other cleaners and lubes to compare them against GB.

Well I am no expert on gun lubrication-I am just an ordinary guy who has tried a lot of different gun lubes. I did try Gun Butter.

I did not like the stuff. It has been quite a well since I tried it but if I remember correctly it was like putting honey on the gun surfaces. And a tiny little bottle of the stuff is really expensive.

I tried a lot of different gun lubes (wish I had the money back from all of those experiments) and I found myself coming back to the same, everyday gun lubes you can get locally. I pretty much use Hoppes No. 9 and/or Hoppes Elite gun cleaner for cleaning a gun and Breakfree for lubrication. Some of the guys I know who do a lot of shooting use wheel bearing grease. And as for special forces soldiers I read about some of them using Tetra gun grease.

You hear all of these stories about what the soldiers in Iraq or wherever are using. I don't know what they are using but the military supplies gun lubes to the soldiers. Those gun lubes have to be approved. It used to be Breakfree in the past and now they have some other gun lube that is approved.

I watched a video from the AGI where a professional gunsmith talked abou the Smith & Wesson Military & Police semi-auto handguns (the type of gun I own). That professional gunsmith recommended Breakfree. I have observed that a lot of professional gunsmiths seem to prefer Breakfree.

The people I shoot with seem to typically use a gun lube like RemOil, Breakfree, or Hoppes Elite. I feel RemOil is a little thin but a lot of people I know use it. I have obtained good results using Breakfree except for one gun I owned in the past that seemed to malfunction with Breakfree. I have tried other stuff like Bichwood Casey gun oil that seems to work well and Ballistol. Ballistol has a strange smell but it will clean and lube a gun.

After I tried a very large number of products I pretty much decided that there were no magic gun lubes and Breakfree was pretty much as good as anything else. And I can get it locally. I got tired of trying to find the magic gun oil that would stop all wear, allow no rust, and suddenly make any shooter a professional.

I've tried a large assortment of things and have settled on one product. A single range trip won't prove very much, and that range is about as far from me as can be. If you'd like to send me a sample I'd be more than happy to try it and report back my findings.

Does the formula contain surface active EP agents that will condition (flatten) the metal surface and leave films behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back