Dupont Scratch Repair Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not going to defened the repair stick as it is a product that is just not going to be a magic stick. People should not expect a miracle from them. But, could the clear coat have been interior as in a spray can or maybe not mixed properly with hardner?

The finish in those pics are of a terrible application. Anyone could do better outdoors with a harbor freight spray gun. Color sanding is the least of your concerns. Wet sand the entire thing with 600 grit, repair with touchup paint, then reclear with a good automotive clear coat such as keystone, ppg shopline / omi, or the entry level dupont.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
I am not going to defened the repair stick as it is a product that is just not going to be a magic stick. People should not expect a miracle from them. But, could the clear coat have been interior as in a spray can or maybe not mixed properly with hardner?

The finish in those pics are of a terrible application. Anyone could do better outdoors with a harbor freight spray gun. Color sanding is the least of your concerns. Wet sand the entire thing with 600 grit, repair with touchup paint, then reclear with a good automotive clear coat such as keystone, ppg shopline / omi, or the entry level dupont.

From my experience repainting stuff there's nothing left but to strip that finish. If the scratch repair stick caused the paint to dissolve, a real paint job would do nothing but crack and craze on top of the old paint as the solvent would end up softening and expanding the old paint underneath.

Even if you ignore the damage the repair stick caused to my saddlebag, it absolutely did NOT fix the small scratch on the factory, OEM paint on my fender. And when I returned them to Costco, they told me they have had quite a few complaints of them dissolving the clearcoat. If you really want to try it, go ahead...
And BTW the finish on the bags really doesn't look that bad in person. I took those pics close up in direct sunlight trying to capture the damage to the clearcoat. However, I'm debating some other paint or covering options in the future as finances allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back