07 Acura Tl-S 6MT Fluid Recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up an 07 TL-S 6MT. 60,xxx miles, unknown trans fluid condition.

What would be some recommended manual transmission fluids? I see a lot of people saying the GM Syncomesh Friction Modified makes the trans shift great.

if it's manual trannie you are referring to, Honda uses MTF (MTF-II nowadays, off of dealer's shelf) all across the board.

You do not add any non-Honda approved additives to compromise the friction properties of Honda MTF fluid. Just use it as-is.

Q.

(I use MTF-II on all the Honda M/T I service on, incl. my own fit)

The current Honda MTF is just there for them to maximise fuel economy. It's ok initially, but you have to replace it often to preserve smooth shifting. Not really suitable for anything more powerful than a standard Civic imo.

I'm currently using Amsoil. It's excellent. Only minor complaint is that it's slightly notchy until it warms up in winter weather. GM Syncromesh FM is a good bet. I'd try that first.

Last edited:
Do Chevy dealers commonly carry the Syncromesh FM? Some people say its hard to get.

Assuming its part #12377916, GMPartsEast has it for $9.50/qt and has reasonable shipping. That might just be the way to go, but it would be nice to just be able to stop off at a Chevy dealer and pick it up Monday.

I am currently running Red Line MTL in my Acura RSX and Honda civics. Used the honda mtl, Amsoil and now this for the last year and prefer the Red LIne over the others for shifting smoothness both winter and summer. Have not tried synchromesh but heard good things.

Having run both GMSFM and Honda MTF up to 10k in my S2000, darned if I can tell a difference. The both felt quite good. The transmission is known to be notchy until warm, neither alleviated this. Both held up about the same for me, granted, 10k is a low interval.

Look at my sig got the same vehicle and I have GM synchromesh FM in there. No 3rd gear pop out which a lot of Honda/Acura MT's are known for.

I had a hard time with 3rd gear pop out when I got the car with only 60K (KM's). But I dropped in the GM fluid last March of last year and it hasn't popped out once! Shifting is nice.

Awesome car. Post some photo's for us. I've also been a fan of this gen TL-S with the 6-speed. It drives very well for a fwd platform.

Try RedLine or Amsoil and you won't go wrong. No need for the GM stuff.

I used Specialty Formulations on my old '03 Altima 3.5SE 5-Speed Manual and was very happy. They however went out of business, so the above two choices are probably your best bet.

Congrats again on your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back