5W-20 in a 2013 Mustang GT? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I like large front rotors. Whatever size the wheel is, I think the brakes are "small" if there's more than 1/4" of clearance between the caliper and rim.

{Not many people know this, but the real reason I do track days is that my secret passion is doing brake jobs. If I don't do at least 4 per year, I feel deprived.}

The brake jobs aren't really that big a turn-on for me. What gets me going is swapping tires pretty much every week from April to October.

The rotors are for a performance car that can run the 1/4 mile in 12+ seconds, and has a top speed of 150+ mph. Maybe you won't need them that large, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Nice car, have fun & be safe.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Consideration was given to an external oil cooler, but ultimately it was decided not to penalize all Coyote buyers for the occasional antics of a miniscule fraction of owners. Oil temperature rises precipitously when the Coyote is revved more than 4,500 rpm for extended periods, and then an external oil-to-air cooler is vital.

Oil temps get hot without an oil cooler during a few dyno pulls, the PCM monitors oil temp and will basically neuter the engine when they get high. We experienced this on the dyno with a 2012 GT last week. One of the most unrepeatable cars (on the dyno) I've seen yet. The PCM is amazingly complicated.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Ya know - we had a nice pickup truck and almost never used it. It sat for months at a time. The Wife says "let's go trade that thing in" - so we went car shopping.

I was looking at a nice, used car - but SHE picked this one. The woman can't even drive a stick-shift. Go figure.

Yeah, my ex-wife was like that, but we ended up with a red Corvette instead of a black Mustang. She got to learn to drive stick on a car that she had to match RPMs on to shift because she couldn't push the clutch pedal far enough for full disengagement. I got... well, just take her out for a five minute ride and go home for some fun whenever you want, you know? That convenience is probably the real reason she wanted that car in the first place.

I don't have any pics except this one that was taken with my phone.... just before driving it away from the dealer.

Does anyone but me think that the front rotors are rather large?
GT.jpg

The more the go the more the woah!!

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I would not use 5W-20 in my brand new Mustang. I don't care what Ford says.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I would not use 5W-20 in my brand new Mustang. I don't care what Ford says.

So you know more than Ford Engine Engineers do? LOL

That being said I doubt that using 5-30 or, 5-40, 10-40 would be detrimental in moderate ambient temps.

But you could fork your warranty.

No 5.0 here, but the 3.0 in my truck holds 5 quarts, doesn't have an oil cooler, and Ford recommends 5W20. 120K miles and it's running great. The engine sees 5000+ RPM regularly...keeps it running good. I tow with it, and OCIs are about 8K miles. I've been using Mobil 1 because the 5 quart jugs are really convenient and it's about $27 at Wal-Mart.

Really from my point of view in the 5W-20 grade synthetic vs conventional is where the performance between the two oils is the closest. So I would word the statement something like this. 5W-20 is more robust than one would think. Use it without fear where recommended. Really think about this Mustang is one of the two names that is the flagship for Ford. Do you think Ford would gamble its name on something as simple as motor oil viscosity? If Ford believed throughout their testing 5W-20 would not be sufficient, Ford would just recommend a different viscosity of oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Really from my point of view in the 5W-20 grade synthetic vs conventional is where the performance between the two oils is the closest. So I would word the statement something like this. 5W-20 is more robust than one would think. Use it without fear where recommended. Really think about this Mustang is one of the two names that is the flagship for Ford. Do you think Ford would gamble its name on something as simple as motor oil viscosity? If Ford believed throughout their testing 5W-20 would not be sufficient, Ford would just recommend a different viscosity of oil.

That statement pretty much nails it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: dave1251

That statement pretty much nails it.
thumbsup2.gif

Agreed; Ford is not stupid, did exhaustive testing on this engine with 5W-20, and contrary to "gut feelings" 5W-20 has been around long enough to prove itself, yet "fear" still lingers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any pics except this one that was taken with my phone.... just before driving it away from the dealer.

Does anyone but me think that the front rotors are rather large?

Yes, they are large, but really only 14 inchers. It's the smaller wheels that exaggerate their size. My car's front's are bigger, but my car weighs several hundred pounds more. get some wheels if you don't like the stockers.

As mentioned above, the more you go the more you need the whoa!

I had a 2007 GT that was highly modded and I ran nothing but 5w20 in it and it seen some track time once a month and was 'driven' on the street pretty often. Never had an issue with the car, until it was time to sell it when the family came along a couple years ago.

While not in Mustangs, there are a lot of hard working Ford V8s pulling heavy loads up hills in pickups running 5w20.

I had the 01 F350 winding pretty good for hours when it blew out a coil while I was towing. Sustained 3500RPM + for 3 hours on 5w20 didn't cause any issues.

I wouldn't worry about using 5W-20 oil in your new Mustang. I would worry about the Chinese 6 speed grenade connected to your 5.0 engine.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I wouldn't worry about using 5W-20 oil in your new Mustang. I would worry about the Chinese 6 speed grenade connected to your 5.0 engine.

True story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back