10w-40 in GM 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dads 2002 truck with the 5.3L burns and leaks about 1 quart per 1200 miles. I typically give it 5w-30 PYB. Seeing as how nothing is on the driveway even though the rear main seal is going bad, I assume it burns off more than leaks (never any blue smoke out the back though). I've tried Pennzoil High Mileage oil before and it never makes a difference.

Would moving to a thicker oil like 5w-40 or 10w-40 help it or is it not worth the risk of the thicker oil? It's coming up for it's next oil change and I can get some regular Castrol 10w-40 for pretty cheap on clearance at a local store.

While you didn't say what the mileage was on the engine, I'll say this:
It shouldn't hurt anything to try and you really won't know if a 10W40 will help unless you do try. This is certainly the right time of year to find out..

A high mileage oil may be of some benefit. No guarantees but probably worth a try. My old F350 leaks around the oil pan gasket but not to the extent your dads Chevy does. I assume it is a Chevy with the 5.3L designation. I am thinking of trying a high mileage 5 or 10-30 next oc. Then again i may just fix it and be done. I think it's worth the trouble and time involved.

Last edited:
no problem running a xw40 in the 5.3. Try it and see if it lowers your consumption. If i were you, i would put it on a steady diet of a high mileage 10w40 year round and call it a day. Those engine are not picky about oil. In the south, it will do fine on 10w40 year round.

we run a fleet of 5.3's and 6.0's.

As they approach very high mileage they sometimes begin to consume oil. If they do we simply go up a grade. These engines are not fussy about oil and will last a LONG time for you.

I have run 40w and even 50w oil without any problems and in every kind of weather in the toughest duty cycle imaginable.

my 5.3 doesnt consume any oil but it seems to run smoother and quieter on a 40 weight than a 30 so thats what i run it it, plus it gets run hard a lot so im sure the thicker film might help a bit. mine has 115000 miles on it.

Some engines just use oil even when new.My friend has owned several GM trucks with the LS V8 engines.None used oil except for one which has used a quart every 1500 miles since new.Doesn't seem to matter except for the hassle of checking the oil if you drive a lot.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
we run a fleet of 5.3's and 6.0's.

As they approach very high mileage they sometimes begin to consume oil. If they do we simply go up a grade. These engines are not fussy about oil and will last a LONG time for you.

I have run 40w and even 50w oil without any problems and in every kind of weather in the toughest duty cycle imaginable.

THIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back