How long a PCV valve lasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the on one 99 Camry and the old one still sounded good. It was a Toyota one and was replaced with another Toyota. The one in the car had at least 50K miles on it or at most 180K miles :)

depends: the newer metal valve ones on 7th gen Honda, my fit, camry (5th gen) are good for a long, long time so long as you take it off and rinse it with spray on a periodic basis.

Q.

I got one that's 35 years old and still good.
smile.gif

I replaced my Pathfinder's at at 128k miles with a new OEM one but have no idea whether the old one was rattling, since I forgot to unclip the PCV hose and when I pulled off the lower intake manifold, the PCV valve snapped in half. I had a fun time getting the one half out of the valve cover... I assume the original PCV valve worked fine though since I was not experiencing any oil consumption or other ill effects.

I'll be replacing the PCV valve with a new OEM one on my mother's 2007 Altima at the next oil change (approximately 95k miles) just as preventative maintenance.

I replaced the one in my RAV at just over 150k - not that it needed a new one, just wanted to then.

Good question. I would say when you notice a sudden change in oil consumption or if it fails the shake test. I change mine out yearly when I change my cabin filter. My costs around $3 so it isnt breaking the bank to change it yearly.

I replaced mine on the xB at about 110k, after buying it with about 95k. I'm not sure it needed replacing, but it's cheap insurance and fairly easy to do.

I'll probably replace it every couple of years from here on out, as a precaution.

I had to replace the PCV valves on my cars cuz the plastic bent & cracked. but that's usually the only reason.. shoot some carb spray at them, they're good as new.

The one in the Camry looks like a plastic one but it must be metallic as it is quite heavy.

They can last a LONG time.
But rattling does not tell anything useful, except a part is loose inside.
It may be broken internally or not sealing .
A spring may be faulty.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
They can last a LONG time.
But rattling does not tell anything useful, except a part is loose inside.
It may be broken internally or not sealing .
A spring may be faulty.

+1

Also, sometimes I would be forced to replace a PCV valve because I had to remove something from that part of the engine, and then SNAP! The valve cracks in half. It wouldn't have cracked in half it it wasn't so old or made of cheap plastic. Ever replace the valve cover on an Iron Duke or Tech4? They are the worst offenders.

Sometimes the PCV system has to be replaced due to a recalled or revised part. Many turbocharged SAAB engines needed the PCV systems recalled or revised.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Many of my GM's in our fleet have no PCV valve at all!

Perhaps your Tahoe doesn't either.

It does, and is still clean.

I've never seen one gone bad, at least on my 95 Corolla, 97 Integra, and 01 Taurus. You can replace it but if it ain't broken why bother?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I've never seen one gone bad, at least on my 95 Corolla, 97 Integra, and 01 Taurus. You can replace it but if it ain't broken why bother?

You can't always tell if the spring inside of them has developed metal fatigue, that is why many people replace them even if they don't see warning signs.

On my 2003 sable the part is only 4 bucks, which is cheap enough to replace at least yearly. it is also rediciously easy to get to, just remove one hose and its there. the 3.0 OHV has some advantages to the 3.0 DOHC.

Just curious, if you don't use any oil during your OCI, even upto 8,500 miles, you're PCV should not be clogged. All 3 of the vehicles in the family don't use any oil in their OCI's. My 1996 Contour had the PCV valve changed at 60,000 as part of the emission warranty for free. Before it didn't use oil and after it still doesn't use oil. Both my wife's and my 4.6 Ford don't use any oil. I didn't check the PVC's on either, one has 120,000 miles and the other has 52,000 miles.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back