Aged STP (possible) score! Is this the good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know a lot of people used this product a few years ago i didnt think they made it anymore. I kinda went crazyespically at 1.99 a bottle and cleaned out 2 menards stock but i know what people will say it makes the oil too thick its not quite as thick as the blue and i am only using 1/2 a bottle in 10w30 to give it a boost of zinc i dont drive the car in the winter and doubt 1/2 a bottle is making it too thick i always thought redline would of been the best additive for the price simply because it treats up to 12 qts in my application i would use 1/4 of a bottle or 1/3 at the most i wonder why nobody talks about redline i just hate paying 10 bucks for those little 4oz bottles of ZDDP and equivilent anyone have any comments,insight??

Last edited:
Quote:
Doesn't the old STP have a lot of zinc?

If this is the old Blue bottled stuff, no it did not.

It is mostly a poor grade of olefin copolymer (an old viscosity improver) and tackifier.

Buy and use it to make chain saw bar and chain oil. One bottle mixed with a gallon of 20 or 30 weight mineral API SA makes a decent bar and chain oil.

Last edited:
i was hoping you would respond Molakule listen i am just trying to up my zinc a little i used half a bottle i have an old flat tappet engine and these newer oils dont have the zinc as you are well aware i dont feel comfortable using 15w40 and from the latest reads thats what you need to get the zinc as in rotella T i guess no longer the regular rotella unless i am mistaken if anything i am a believer that we should go down in vicosity most of my vehicles run 10w30 i always used castrol gtx for 20 years but the reports ive read said only 20w 50 or expensive syn so what should i use ?? and let me ask you this the defy oil how can they claim elevated zinc when its new car approved i thought only 15w etc was not under the same zinc guidelines?? i am new here obviously but i have been reading all these oil threads as i am sure you have vette forum charles navvoro etc etc and many of them are old where can i find a good list of the latest approved oils???

so your saying dont use 1/2 a bottle of the stp it seems to have plenty zinc and all i am trying to do is boost the castrol from what i have read rotlla T has only 900 ppm of zinc after the latest changes i heard no 10w anything is going to have the amount of zinc needed i heard that the syn blend rotella 5 or 6 is good but ive only seen that in 15w-40 are the blackstone results posted on this site for this defy i bought some for my lawn mower but after reading it it is SM so it cant have but 800ppm and all of it has that basically i spent days reading the webs oil [censored] contests i just want to know what i can buy locally and cheap for the best protection i have always used dino oil castrol gtx and thought it was the greatest but i read 20w50 is the only good one cause 10w 30 and 10w40 period is under new guidelines idk thats why i am hear to learn on the web you read one thread after another most are outdated before the guidelines changed and just like any fat loss or muscle building advice there are 10 different rights and 10 different wrongs about the same thing i think i saw delvac at WM or delo but i think they where both 15w-40

Rotella T has more than 900 ppm of zinc, probably closer to 1200 or 1300 ppm. Various VOAs from various companies have shown that. You're not going to find many HDEOs in any grade with much less than 1200 ppm of zinc.

Defy can have more than 800 ppm (and does, according to SOPUS), because it's not resource conserving, and is SL rated, according to the PDS, not SM.

If I were looking to boost ZDDP on a normal PCMO and didn't want to use HDEO, I'd just use a ZDDP additive from a trusted company. Comp Cams and ZDDP Plus spring to mind right away. The STP would be fine, if one could be certain it had ZDDP and knew how much. Too much ZDDP can be a bad thing.

thanks for the input from what i read rotella T used to be 1200 zinc until 07 now it has 900ppm from what i have read the T-5 looks good but it is more money i usually run all dino but change 3000 miles max i know the HDEO are exempt from the PCEO standards but most are 15w40 all mine use 10w30 i was thinking about using 5w30 in them but which over the counter one is good ? i heard mobile then some tests i read didnt impress me most of the good ones are 0w40 or 0w50 ive read so many oil threads its unreal i know some of the best info is here but there are so many pages it will take me a while to get the answers i need unless someone knows of a approved list of all weight oils that is not based on old threads or tests.We race circle track and was getting a deal on BRAD PENN but it went up and we switched to the grey bottle of VR1 i dont know if that is best we run about 550 lift on our cams solid so we need some zinc i was thinking we need a little more zinc than what we are using now but i am just guessing.I will say this a lot of the Blackstone testing has been all over the place i am not sure what they are doing maybe too many human error not shaking the bottles etc etc i didnt like to see those tests when we where running Brad Penn to be honest i dont know how much i believe some of the numbers they came up with.Also somebody wrote into Hot Rod and asked about breaking in a BBC and the professor told him to use whatvever his oil choice would be and 1qt of Comp break in oil, not supplement, only 1 qt most people i know use 5-7 qts of that or the Brad Penn of course the oil companies are not going to say you dont need 5-7qts of 6-8 dollar oils personally i think redline one of the best because even in a race app like ours i would only use half a bottle i know too much zinc is not good to keep it under 2000 or between 1400-1800 i believe but LE oil makes oil with over 2000ppm and that kinda confuses me

Racing oils can be another good option, if you can stomach the price. Be aware, though, that lots of race oils don't have sufficient detergents to allow for normal OCIs on street use. Some of the popular ones do, however.

I'd ignore that 900 ppm number on Rotella. It sounds like rubbish to me, and none of the VOAs or UOAs or sheets I've come across reflect that. Even in 10w-30, the HDEOs follow different rules.

The VR1 you mentioned is another good choice.

thanks for the insight i wish i could get the Brad Penn for 3 -4 bucks a qt like i used and it would be all good lol those days are over does wal mart carry any good 5w30 dino and syn ??i have a 99 regal with a 3800 supercharged and it says to use 10w30 but i heard it would be better with 5w30 i am going to mod it a bit and would like to know the best options at WM for this app ???thanks and this site takes up so much of my time i dont have time for my girl or anything lol i guess i do care more about my cars than my woman lol

I don't know what your WM selection is like there. Up here, our Walmarts don't have a lot of high ZDDP options beyond 20w-50 and 40 grade HDEOs. What do your local Walmarts have?

i dont really know to be honest i always used castrol 10w30 in everything i ever owned and i has a SD Trans Am a Vega with a 327 etc etc but i have seen some cams go flat in other peoples vehicles i wouldnt mind using rotella but i only see the dino one in 15w40 they have like you said 20w/50s and the HDEO delo and all that i know they have a lot of mobile but idk much about it only half of those are good .I spent an entire weekend reading oil threads and there was a lot of conflicting info i think i worry too much about it but i know how important oil is i recently had a old intrepid with the 3.5 it had 230,000 and the cam seals weeped a little but it used 0 oil.I had a 97 grand am with a 2.4 and everyone says they are junk it had over 200,000 and may use a half of qt between changes i think i have been lucky but if i buy a car and the oil is dirty i change it right away and when it gets dirty i will change it again its overkill but i have never lost an engine i never go 3000 miles usually less 2500 so i gues it doesnt matter.I am going to check wal wart out here soon and see what they have.

Well, Chevy small blocks tend to eat cams no matter what oil is used. I've had plenty of experience with that issue in fleet management.

You've used 10w-30 in the past, so you're certainly not stuck on thick oils. If you can find an HDEO in 10w-30 or something similar, that might be your best bet. The only problem is Walmart may not have that in stock. Comp Cams and other ZDDP additives are fine, too, provided you can get them at a reasonable price. That's a good option if a PCMO oil change plus a ZDDP additive winds up being cheaper than an HDEO oil change.

Up here, the price differential isn't as much, so the HDEO is often the best bet.

I would not use STP oil treatment if it was brand new, much less if it was some old stuff that had been laying around in the garage somewhere for a long time. All it is basically is really thick oil and some antiwear additive.

I don't believe much anymore in oil supplements but if I did use one it would probably be Lubegard engine oil supplement.

STP would mostly just slow down oil consumption in a engine using a lot of oil. You could do the same thing with just thicker motor oil.

i am with you on additives to oil but its a flat tappet cam 1983 engine with 97,000 original miles i am simply using 7.5 1/2 a bottle oz of 4cyl STP to boost the zinc a little.I am using 10w30 it would be different if i was using 10w40 and the car does not get driven in the winter.I bought the stp for 1.99 a bottle so i get 2 oil changes out of that.

Well jsnyder49090 it is supposed to have some ZDDP but it is also possible to buy oil supplement with ZDDP for older engines that require it.

Yep, you're right. It may work, but there are other options. It's not like STP is a completely clueless company. Instead of selling a bunch of supposed do-everything additives, why not market one or two actually useful ones? They certainly have the resources and ability to market a ZDDP additive. They have the clout to obtain the shelf space for the product. Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back