Rislone response to VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Carl:
For starters, it would be good to point out that there many
things that weren't tested, and that several comments are simply incorrect.
For starters, the only accurate test is when Rislone is blended with a reference oil to the same ratio recommended on the package. Secondly, any test that overlooks penetrating qualities is incomplete.
Rislone doesn't claim to provide the same exact package as a motor oil, rather it is designed to soften and remove deposits and hold them in suspension until they can be drained. at the same time, it has been independantly tested to provide "stay in grade" viscosity performance and to not dilute the basic protective performance of typical reference motor oils.

Further information may be forthcoming after review by our triboligist.

J. Bur Zeratsky
Vice President Sales & Marketing

[ March 21, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Well, the man does have a point.

What exactly did you write to them?

My e-mail is on my other computer. Basically I copied the VOA and asked him to defend himself. Did the same with CD2 but haven't heard from them yet. My assumption is an independent company is going to respond quicker than a brand assumed by Turtle Wax. Come back Alemite!

Apparently this gentleman misread the post.

What I said was that you can get more of the necessary additives by using an OTC SL dino oil than by using Rislone.

The question still remains, why should one use Rislone in place of Castrol GTX or Exxon SuperFlow, or Pennzoil, or... which gives you more additves at about the same or at lower cost?

I look foward to their response(s).

Dear Carl:

I received the following reply from our tribologist in response to your e-mail:

Rislone is an Engine Treatment and not an engine oil and in fact I would say it is an Engine Treatment System. Each of its multiple components has been selected to accomplish its original intended purpose, that being creating a cleaner, better performing engine. Rislone has a unique blend of components all selected for this purpose. The formulation integrity has remained unchanged with minor exceptions only implemented to address changing engine requirements and compatibilities of such. While there are detergents in Rislone, they are not the most
critical of the various components in Rislone.

The ca and zinc values are less than expected in a typical motor oil which is correct, but the values Carl listed seem quite a bit lower than our specifications (currently Zn is around 550-600 ppm and Calcium is around 1000 to 1100 ppm. There is also a fair amount of a very shear stable viscosity modifier in the package. (J. L. Czerwinski)

Pat Bruesch

They still haven't stated anything substantional, except they raised the ZDDP levels from the bottle that was on the shelves at Walmart a month ago.

Adding more ZDDP could raise your phosphorus levels, which is what cat makers want to lower.

And having extra VII's in your oil is also a minus, not a plus. Just more large molecules to shear to sludge. If the VII is really in the mix, it was not in the form of esters; it must be a copolymer of polyisobutylene, a thickener, and not much of a thickener at that, being a 20 weight.

Additives
Molybdenum 0
Sodium 0
Magnesium 0
Zinc 380
Potassium 0
Phosphorus 352
Calcium 768

If I had to choose between Rislone and CD2, I would go with the more calcium in CD2.

Again, you have to ask yourself, what are you attempting to achieve with these OTC additives?

"No mention is made of any measurement of penetrating qualities, therefore, the tests are incomplete. "

He never defined penetrating qualities; just what the heck is he talking about? This is an oil additive, not some rust buster!

"Rislone is not a motor oil and measuring and evaluating it as such is misleading."

Right, and we never did as he accused. Just ran it through the same spectro as we would any other motor oil additive or engine oil and did some tests to see if it had anything of value in it. It costs twice as much as an OTC SL motor oil, so what is the value here?

You're right, no substantive rebuttal.

Response to last posting (looks like discussions of substance are running out of steam).

Dear Mr. Sandstedt:
The posted comments ignore several points:

No mention is made of any measurement of penetrating qualities, therefore, the tests are incomplete.
Rislone is not a motor oil and measuring and evaluating it as such is misleading.
80 years of performance in the marketplace speaks for itself. We have constantly upgraded Rislone to reflect changes in automotive lubrication requirements.
Thank you for your interest and support of Rislone.
J. Bur Zeratsky
Vice President Sales & Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back