Oil recc. for Saturn SC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 98sc2 with 142k on the clock. Seems like it was well maintained throughout its life, 2 owner car. Upon buying the car, i changed the ects, tstat, top motor mount, fuel filter, tranny fluid, spark plugs, and did a few other small things. Car specs 5w-30. I did the first OC with mobil 10-40 hm and a napa gold filter. Car seems to like it so far. It doesn't seem to leak or burn any oil that I have noticed. It does have some valve cover seepage that I will be addressing soon.

Anyone out there have experience with the dohc 1.9? What are you running? What do you think of my choice? Thinking of going to synthetic after this oc, good or bad idea?

That engine couldn't care less what it has in it. I have owned 3 Saturn 1.9's. Just use whatever you can get easily for a good price. Only thing that you may notice a difference in is how much a certain brand or weight consumes.

If you want to fix the valve cover seepage once and for all, look for a 93-95 aluminum valve cover with matching gasket set. It will fix the leak for good. Guaranteed. The composite covers like to warp and bow on the transmission side of the cover and its not fixable.

Originally Posted By: cobos06GT
Car specs 5w-30. I did the first OC with mobil 10-40 hm and a napa gold filter. Car seems to like it so far.

What do you think of my choice?

Not a lot, but I doubt it will hurt the car.

And here we go with the "likes it" thing, what do you mean? That the engine isn't howling or screaming, and hasn't self-destructed in the first 1000 miles? I understand it isn't leaking but how do you know it would using the spec'd 5W-30?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Car specs 5w-30. I did the first OC with mobil 10-40 hm and a napa gold filter. Car seems to like it so far.

And here we go with the "likes it" thing, what do you mean? That the engine isn't howling or screaming, and hasn't self-destructed in the first 1000 miles? I understand it isn't leaking but how do you know it would using the spec'd 5W-30?

I mean that the engine seems quieter and smoother than it did with the oil I bought the car with.

From the research I've done, saturns tend to be oil burners, so I figured a heavier weight MIGHT help with that...

Really looking for input from other Saturn owners or people that have experience with oil burners, not comments like the one above. Thanks to everyone else who has responded so far.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I mean that the engine seems quieter and smoother than it did with the oil I bought the car with.

From the research I've done, saturns tend to be oil burners, so I figured a heavier weight MIGHT help with that...

Really looking for input from other Saturn owners or people that have experience with oil burners, not comments like the one above. Thanks to everyone else who has responded so far.

So does it burn oil or not? You state that Saturns tend to be oil burners. Does yours burn oil?

OK so you think my comments were harsh. But the old “likes it” thing gets tiring as it is so worthless. By the standard you give – that it seems quieter and smoother than it did with the oil you bought the car with – I could say that my cars like running 20W-50 and keeping the quantity two quarts low. They are quiet and smooth, so they must like it. What does that tell you? And do you know what the car came with? How many miles on that oil? My cars always sound quieter and smoother just after I change the oil. What does that mean? Nothing, really.

I mean, you asked what we think. Given what you said that the engine specs 5W-30 and you put in 10W-40, I still stand by my statement.

Sometimes I swear people ask questions and when they don’t hear what they want to hear, they get mad.

I haven't observed any oil burning in the 700 miles that I've driven the car. I just started this thread to get some reccomendations like the title says...doubtful that I'd change what im running due to anyone's opinion, just wanted to get some opinions on running the heavier weight

Well, I mean it's your money, your car. But I don't know why you'd want to run an oil that's too heavy. It takes longer to protect at startup, costs you a bit of mpg and power and gives you nothing in return. Seems like a poor tradeoff, but that's just me.

Protection at start up is not much of an issue when 95% of the cold starts happen over 50 degrees, is it?

I have 2 Saturns both SL2's DOHC. The 1999 has 136K and uses a quart every 800 to 1000 miles. The 2002 has 120K and uses a quart every 1200 miles. I have tried just about every motor oil in both of them trying to get the oil usage down.

Both have had regular oil change intervals at approximately 4000 miles. The only oils that have had noticeably less usage are Max-Life 10W-30 & Rotella 5W-40. If you ask me if any oil allows the engine to run smoother, I couldn't tell you.

BTW, The filters I have used have been; Napa Gold (aka Wix) & Motorcraft. Both cars run great, are very reliable & easy to work on. I hope that helps.

Best of luck to you, just keep checking that oil.

Changed my dads L200 Saturn oil about 2 weeks ago, thing was leaking and burning oil in every which way possible, Grandmother used to have a Saturn S Series that was about right when it came to burning oil. She ran 5w40 HDEO in it when it started consuming oil at 50k miles, the car lasted 13 years with 245k miles on it before it went boom! and it wasnt an oil thing, it was a transmission issue. The Valve cover had no sludge in it, nor did It have any major varnish, it was changed every 3k miles with a Purolator filter.

Anyway, my dads L200 leaked oil and had some sludge buildup on oil cap and in the filter case, dumped in some 10w40 PHM, and it appears the oil leak has stopped or slowed majorly after 700miles, it was specd for 5w30 so only time can tell...

I'd personally never put 10w40 in a saturn.

0w40 would be the thickest I'd go, but I'd generally put 5w30 in it.

I owned 1998 SL2 for about 4 years and only used 5w30 in it. I sold it with 170k on it IIRC, ran like a top.

I've never heard of anyone try to run a thicker oil than specified. Usually everyone tries to run a thinner oil for better start-up protection and fuel economy.

On a side note, man I love the design of the Saturn 1.9Ls. Maintenance on them is so well thought out. I remember it so vividly because I had to pop the hood on that car all the time.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I'd personally never put 10w40 in a saturn.

0w40 would be the thickest I'd go, but I'd generally put 5w30 in it.

I owned 1998 SL2 for about 4 years and only used 5w30 in it. I sold it with 170k on it IIRC, ran like a top.

I've never heard of anyone try to run a thicker oil than specified. Usually everyone tries to run a thinner oil for better start-up protection and fuel economy.

On a side note, man I love the design of the Saturn 1.9Ls. Maintenance on them is so well thought out. I remember it so vividly because I had to pop the hood on that car all the time.

Half the vehicles on the road here in the South/Florida run 10w30, majority of lube shops only carry 10w30, as 5w30/5w20/10w30 really is a fine line in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back