problem with oil filter and auto rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
today i looked inside my engine and saw some seedlings. yes seedlings...it was like a torn piece of paper in a bunch of circular pieces. now this is my first auto rx treatment and id like to know if it is caused by my fram oil filter. i have no clue where that stuff came from. but it looks damaging...i am at 400 miles with auto rx..i doubt auto rx is to blame...but im not sure, sorrie if i mAy have the wrong forum, but it applies as an oil filter and an additive.

please help

those who doubt auto rx now DONT...i wouldnt pay for something and put it in my engine if i knew it wasnt going to work....it is a great product...but maybe not for use with fram.

hands down, auto rx is gooD.!! sorrie for the confusion....

Since I can't see it, this is strictly a guess. Auto-Rx seems to have an "encapsulating" effect in engines. That is, it seems to form a coating around some particles, sort of like the white blood cells in our bodies swarming & clumping around invading bacteria(my own analogy, not Frank's). I've seen this in my own car, especially around the oil filler cap, where the odd grain of grit or sand will try to work its way in. This has shown up even when just running a maintenance dose. Can you get any of this stuff on your finger, see what it feels like? Remember, by 400 miles there's some serious cleaning going on inside that engine. If you can get any of it out, look at it w/a magnifying glass, see if it looks/feels like oily cardboard specks, or feels more like little "goo-balls", maybe with a gritty core. Wish I could offer a more informed opinion. Maybe go ahead & change the filter now(to ABF
wink.gif
) & finish out your cleaning interval? In fact, replace the Fram ASAP with anything else, & cut the Fram open to see if the element or cardboard endcaps have been disentgrating. Any way you can post pix of the wierd stuff?

[ March 18, 2003, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

i can try and post some pics but i have to have a real good camera to do it....it seems that my springs and stuff inside show scratching from these particles..looks like sand but i donno...it seems a little soft if i poke it...ill have more tomrrow...im going to attempt to flush out the engine. i have no idea how im going to get it all out of there...ill probably let the oil dry out on a paper and let the particles sit, and when they dry i can show a pic somehow...ill be cutting up my oil filter as well and replacing it with a supertech, hopefully it will catch them particles.

ill let the car chill with regular dIno for a while then add a fULl bottle of auto rx later. i know im not going to get the best of results but it is just that that particles is realy buggin and scaring me.

If they seem to be sort of waxy, maybe with some grit or solid inside that you can feel, that's just Auto-Rx doing its thing. If they're paper or cardboard, then it's almost surely the filter coming apart.

If it was my car, & the cooties felt sort of soft/waxy with some having a core of grit, I'd assume the Auto-Rx was doing its job, & run it another 350 miles or so. If it was paper/cardboard, I'd definitely remove the filter muy pronto, probably drain the oil, & start over with a Wix or AC filter.

ok i just felt the particels...it is kinda ruff and then as i rub it it becomes smaller and smaller partices till u cant see it ne more, only feel it. it feels liek really realyl fine sand paper....imagine oil between 2 fingers, now imagine oil and sand between 2 fingers and thats what im feeling right now...

btw thanks for replying

JG,
What you "found" was part of the Auto-Rx formula called Wax Crystals (part of patent). If you roll them between your thumb and forefinger they will melt, just as they do immediately in your oil. Seeing scratches on your camshaft from Auto-Rx is "IMPOSSIBLE". Keep up with your original treatment; wax crystals will sometimes find there way into your filter also that is fine, they liquify as needed and don't create any problem. so don't be concerned, nothing is degraded, Auto-Rx is working as advertised. JG, take some of those wax crystals and rub them between your fingers, watch them vanish. In truth you probably A-Used a very inexpensive filter that came apart from the weight of "Crud" out of your engine or, B-You forgot to change filter and overloaded it or, C- Why not buy a "NEW" filter and install it, top off the oil and finish the application. I read your post and you say you're going to flush Auto-Rx out of your engine because of what you preceive as a problem, even after you read the posts from another Auto-Rx user, who explained and reassured you of what was going on (there is no reason to flush your engine, photos will not be necessary, complete the application procedures). JG, do we have the same agenda - cleaning your engine?

ok yeah i see the same objective. i bet it was from that cheap fram filter. im giong to change it out today....as i pass that particle through my fingers it does turn into nothing....hahah wish i knew about that before hand. well good at least i know for sure that something didnt go severly wrong. thanks frank for the early reply. o and thank you stuart huhes for sheading some light.

if i change the filter with the oil in there it wont come out of the oil filter inlet right?

haha ok ill remember that, got my supertech filter here! last one on the shelves, i swear they run out every day. thanks guys!!

well i changed the filter, thanks guys...i think the filter was full or something but im not sure ill open it later. but now that i changed to supertech filter the engine clicking has come back, when i did auto rx it was gone but now its back and at lower rpms..

Just changed the oil and filter after my first RX treatment. Oil was very black but didn't notice anything much different. I tore the filter open and it was basically the same as the oil. This was after 1000 miles. Now I will run 2000 miles without RX. At the 2000 mile mark I will add next bottle of RX and go for another 1000 miles. I know the RX stopped the pecking up front but without it it's back. I sure hope this is working.
confused.gif

yah after 400 miles the oil still looked the same....i want to run it for 800 miles but at this rate i see no change. ill run it for 1000 miles for my first treatment, and run regular dino for 1500 miles, then change oil and add 3oz of auto rx per quart for my second treatment.

maybe cause my engine is clean already....its not really all that bad...

in my other car which is sludge, within 10 miles the oil turned black hahaha...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back