Boundary Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the timkin bearing test done with this stuff added to M1. Quite impressive. Easily held 3 times the load of M1. It was then diluted with water, same result. I wasn't able to inspect the rolling element for surface finish, they were using a piece of emery to keep it clean. The test bearing would gall severly with straight M1, with M1 + the additive @3%v/v much less wear. Very convincing demo on boundry lubrication. Smells like an oil I once encountered in a vaccum pump for a piece of aerospace test equipment. The claim is that it is a complete additive package to augment that of your oil.

The company that manufacture's it is local with national distribution of product line including the US. They sell to the energy, mining and exploration industries, seems credible. I was at a heavy truck show and they had a booth plying their line of alchemy:) I felt lucky and bought a bottle!!

Does anyone know what I bought not the brand but the chemicals or group of chemicals. Where do they fit into the whole lubrication scheme of things. And does it have value? BTW it's called Power Up NNL690

"NNL 690 is specifically designed for use in engines calling for medium to high ash oils (1.0% or more) and is suitable for use in most other lubricated equipment using non-E.P. oils. NNL 690 provides engines with exceptional anti-wear protection and also contains a superb detergent/dispersant package, viscosity index improvers and excelllent anti-corrosion additives. NNL 690 is a balanced additive package the provides complete lubrication when used with good quality mineral based and synthetic oils."

Why would one need an aditive that costs $47/Liter and never tell what technology their lubricant is based upon?

Secondly, why would one want to add more VII's to an oil?

Not enough information to make me want to go out and buy any of this stuff!
shocked.gif

I was talking to one of the guy's from Maryn and saw the demo, bloody convincing. I can't believe that this stuff is special. Surely someone on this board kows what it is. I asked him about it and got the feeling that chlorine compounds may be involved. If so what's the pro/con?

I'm starting to think that surfactents are the trick to lowering wear,example #132, or penetro.If I understand correctly,the surfactent will make available the additives already present in the oil for absortion to the wear surface. Molecule might be able to elaborate on this better than me though.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back