Night Critters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 10/22 w/ fixed 4X scope to deal with pests around the house. Problem is, it works great during the day but can't see chit at night. Pesky possum got away last night due to glare in scope. Thinking about open sites but don't think that is the best route either. How about some advise. Flashlight/lazer site combo?? Could use a shotgun but not the best for skunks!

Last edited:
I've got a flashlight and finger pressure switch mounted to a rifle. I'm not sure how you would do that with a 10/22 though. Maybe there is an accessory rail you could mount on the barrel or forearm. Try Brownells.

Catch Pesky possum in a trash can. Put a weight in the bottom, place can next to a tree or fence post, use table scraps for bait. You can wax him in the morning.

I don't know if it will work though if you catch too many at once. You may want to put out 2 or 3 cans.

You could get one of those live traps and pop him in the morning. A shotgun works fine on skunks, just aim for the head and dispose of the body quickly.

Skunks usually get a 22 in the ribs, run off and die elsewhere without spraying. I have learned that this method is not foolproof however and have had to use a shovel to carry the dead skunk into the woods. Either way, it's better than the dog tangling with them for sure! That goes double for the porcupines!!

You can get low cost flashlight mounting options from DealExtreme. I have several of this one which is great if you have a rail to mount on.

You can also get some cheap LED flashlights there too. I have a couple green ones because they aren't supposed to upset the animals so much.

If you order from them, ignore their estimated shipping time, and plan on 2-10 weeks.

I'm good at trapping. I've trapped 22 cats and 3 possums over a course of 2 years. I take the cats to the shelter and the possums go to a friend's property. I don't see much reason to kill them.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'm good at trapping. I've trapped 22 cats and 3 possums over a course of 2 years. I take the cats to the shelter and the possums go to a friend's property. I don't see much reason to kill them.

GOOD MAN ! if im not going to eat it i dont want to kill it. Im not fond of storys of people killing cats. Most cats once there not scared are very loving and social animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back