Auto Rx in BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I drained the Amsoil 10w40 and put in the Auto RX and nine quarts Delvac 15w40 in the 94 bmw 540i. I changed the filter which is the cartridge style. My question is...when the ARX starts cleaning should I be able to look into the filter housing and see gunk accumulating ?? First time using using it. Glad they had the 3 bottle deal. At nine quarts in the sump I almost used 2 bottles of it. BTW Fumotovalve went on today also :-D

Auto-Rx has a BMW Independent Service Group in the UK and they have great success with Auto-Rx. Remember to drive 750 miles then drain the oil and change the filter. Frankly, I'm not familiar with the filter set-up on a BMW so I don't know what you could see; wait until your done and cut open the filter or drain it - that should be educational and rewarding.

with bmw's like his, all you do is "unscrew" a pretty big metal cap, and then just pull the cartridge out. the cartridge is, the actual paper media, so you dont need to cut open any casing, the media just pulls right out.

RIGHT! the cartridge style is what I have, not a spin on. Sorry about the lack of explanation. Since I won't have to cut open anything but, instead, just pull out the cartridge media I was thinking I would see any gunk in teh cartridge. yes? no?

Maniacal One:

How many miles on that BMW? Have you been using Amsoil long? I just put my 1st Auto-rx in my '91 420SEL, 16 0z. (vs. your 18) will leave me with a 4 oz. maintenance dose left from 3 bottles for the oil & filter change after the second treatment.
cool.gif

Earlier V8 MB's also have the cartridge filters, albeit with a fibre or metal screen around the media. I would fully expect to see quite a bit of gunk in the media @ 750 miles and in the compartment the filter fits in, probably a good idea to crack the bolt on the cover before the drain bolt in the pan. By draining the system out through the sump on the 1st application it will be interesting to compare the results in the second (& 3rd?) filter's media.
shocked.gif

I think my engine @ 131K will prove to be pretty clean to begin with, but I am prepared to be further educated.

Gonna' use a new filter when you put the second Auto-rx treatment in after 2,250 miles of straight dino?
cheers.gif

norm,

It has abuot 71k miles on the clock now. I picked her up about a year ago with about 60k niles on it. I ran two fills of M1 15w50 for 3k miles and then switched to Amsoil 10w40. Well see how she does with the Autorx.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Use with dino for max effect!

Agreed! Or at least make sure to use an oil that doesn't have esters in it for maximum cleaning effect. As reported in my other post a few minutes ago, Auto-rx works extremely well in Schaeffer Supreme blend.

I am using Mobil Delvac Super 15w-40 which i believe is a conventional dino oil. Correct?? Owner's manual and service manual reccomend a 20w-50 dino oil for this engine. Still can get a little cold here and I thought 15w-40 would be a better choice. BTW I normally run full syntehtic 10w40.

Auto-Rx needs more time when cleaning engine with synthetic oil. This is because of the complex additive packages used in synthetic oil. What happens is these additive packages and Auto-Rx fight for space on the metal and the extra 250 miles (500 for "Dino" and 750 for "Synthetic")
allows Auto-Rx to do it's job.

"Dino" Oil is always the oil of choice if your using Auto-Rx to stop seal leaks as the "petro chemistry" of "Dino Oil" goes to work the first mile after an Auto-Rx cleansing to refurbish the seal (if not ripped or torn )

It is much more economical to use 'Dino" Oil in cleansing mode with Auto-Rx then after go back to Synthetic.Theere is no problem.

Understanding exactly what Auto-Rx does for your engine, gets at times confusing. Every engine has
third party abrasives lodged in hard to get to oil passages, some older cars, have dirt and carbon all in the engine, and some are unlucky enough to have "Sludge" even if they are fairly new cars. Auto-Rx is a non hazardous-safe chemistry that has nothing to do with oil or oil properties.IT IS NOT AN OIL ADDITIVE. Auto-Rx has only one function which is to clean & prep your metal lubricated rotating parts to get maximum lubrication to "ALL the Metal", no matter where it is hidden; abrasives, dirt, carbon or sludge in your engine.

Synthetic Esters are not able to "clean " deep enough to be effective. Auto-Rx is "ALL' natural and actually liquifys every piece of "Crud' it comes in contact with then holds it in suspension and drive it to the filter. If you use "Dino" or "Synthetic" after prepping metal with Auto-Rx your going to get maximum performance from that oil. Solvents, ATF Fluid don't do this they seem inexpensive,in the long run they are going to very costly and they never work and surely are not safe for you, your car or our environment.

Thanks for the info. Frank! I meant to say in my previous post that I am running dino 15w40 with my Auto-RX treatment and when I'm done with the AutoRX I'll go back to Amsoil 10w40 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back