Oil recommendations for 2005 SAAB 9-2x Aero (WRX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 9-2x Aero Turbo, basically a WRX, and was wondering what you guys would recommend for motor oil? I've read on some forums that this car has a tendency to spin bearings if not properly lubricated. Car has approx 98,xxx miles and is still running on the original clutch.

I have some Castrol GTX 5w30 and some Castol HM 5w30 lying around and was wondering if it was ok to use that.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 90Notch

I have some Castrol GTX 5w30 and some Castol HM 5w30 lying around and was wondering if it was ok to use that.

Thanks in advance!

Nope! Maybe for topping up, but that's about it.

Try a 40wt synthetic, such as M1 0w-40 or Rotella T6 5w-40.

Thanks for those links Zoli and everyone else. Ok, I guess I'll use the leftover oil in my accord.

Well I went over the service history and the car has been running on Chevron 5w30 conventional for the better part of its life with no ill effects!

Well I went over the service history and the car has been running on Chevron 5w30 conventional for the better part of its life with no ill effects!

I think you most likely know that Saab 9-2 is using a Subaru engine (it's a Saabaru ;p), so you can find a lot of information on subaru community web sites as well as here.

"Ill effect" is hard to measure. If the engine runs its whole life on "wrong" kind of oil, the ill effect could be, for example, that it dies at 150K miles. But that's hard to observe if you don't keep the car so long. A common wisdom seems like turbocharged engines are harder on oil, so they should preferably use synthetic or at least synthetic blend oil. Some people follow "thicker is better" philosophy.

The problem with conventional oils is that they are more likely than synthetic oils to shear (lose viscosity). A lot of conventional 5W30 oils shear down and become a 5W20 after just one or two thousand miles. Some people feel uncomfortable with this. But then again, what matters more is whether the engine wear is low or high, which should be possible to find out with used oil analysis reports. Still, if you look at some UOAs for synthetic oils, such as Mobil 1 5W30 or 0W-40, they often show some shear, but the oil still stays within the designated grade (good sign).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2

I think you most likely know that Saab 9-2 is using a Subaru engine (it's a Saabaru ;p), so you can find a lot of information on subaru community web sites as well as here.

"Ill effect" is hard to measure. If the engine runs its whole life on "wrong" kind of oil, the ill effect could be, for example, that it dies at 150K miles. But that's hard to observe if you don't keep the car so long. A common wisdom seems like turbocharged engines are harder on oil, so they should preferably use synthetic or at least synthetic blend oil. Some people follow "thicker is better" philosophy.

The problem with conventional oils is that they are more likely than synthetic oils to shear (lose viscosity). A lot of conventional 5W30 oils shear down and become a 5W20 after just one or two thousand miles. Some people feel uncomfortable with this. But then again, what matters more is whether the engine wear is low or high, which should be possible to find out with used oil analysis reports. Still, if you look at some UOAs for synthetic oils, such as Mobil 1 5W30 or 0W-40, they often show some shear, but the oil still stays within the designated grade (good sign).

+1. And if you go look at some of the technical forums on some of the Subaru community sites (IWSTI, nasioc, legacygt) you will find more than one recent blown turbo thread from someone running Energy/Resource Conserving 5W-30. An oil discussion can go on for weeks and then someone posts a new thread out of the blue about turbo or bearing failure.

One thing in the Aero's favor is the 2.0T isn't quite as tough on oil as the 2.5T, but Subaru of America does recommend synthetic in all turbos.

-Dennis

You have a Subaru.
Ignore the SAAB badge.
GM owned SAAB and had a significant piece of Subaru at the time.
Thus, you have a Subaru badged as a SAAB.
Many owners of these Subies have shown good results with Rotella 5W-40, GC and M1 0W-40.
Any one of these oils should work well in your engine.
I'd personally use either GC or M1 0W-40, plan 5K OCIs, do a UOA on the third run of either, and call it a day.
With the right oil and decent care, a turbo Sube can live a very long life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back