Stihl KM110R - Amsoil experience = Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I'm a lifetime Amsoil dealer (full disclosure).

Bought a brand new Stihl KM-110-R engine (for trimmer and edger and more..)

All tests done with a totally emptied and refilled fuel tank, from a fresh, uncontaminated batch of mix according to Stihl directions.

All gas mix was done with Shell Premium Gas, purchased new at the pump and not mixed with other gas.

Mixing Amsoil 2-cycle oil with premium gas, very rough idle and hard to start. Mixing the Stihl 2-cycle oil at same measurement, pretty good, stable idle, does not stall engine.
Using Home Depot purchased Truefuel 50:1 - the absolute best easy start, easy and steady idle.

Wish Trufuel wasn't so expensive, alas, that's the result ;(

Sounds like more of an equipment issue. Since when are new small equipment engines hard to start on all but stale gas?

One oil can't make that big a difference unless there is some issue. Not saying you did not experience the bad running etc. Just don't think it can be pinned on the oil. Did you try adjusting the mixture with the other two oils?

With all the Tech support at Amsoil, why didn't you first go to Amsoil?

Could it be the new engine was "running-in?"

How long did you run it on Amsoil?

What was the mxing ratio and which 2-cycle oil did you use?

I have been running amsoil hp injector oil in my 2 cycle weedwacker for years. it starts right up and never runs bad for me. I also run it in my Skeeter bassboat with a Yamaha 200 hp engine that loves it as well. not sure why you had a bad experience with it.

Last edited:
Being an owner of a KM90R, I can vouch that the 4mix engines are finicky about the fuel/oil. Running 87 octane and dino 2 cycle at 50:1 caused the engine to build up quite a bit of grime/soot as viewed thru the spark plug hole. I soaked the cylinder/piston with seafoam and cleaned up the carb. Switched to Stihl synthetic @ 50:1, used 92 octane, and added Startron to the fuel and I am very pleased. Back to 1 pull starts, smooth idle, and generally working very well. About 4 gallons post switch, so we'll see over time. I am considering G-Oil sythetic and have a few questions concerning their 2 cylce oil and 4mix engines. I'll post the Q&A when I hear back.

Originally Posted By: henni
First off, I'm a lifetime Amsoil dealer (full disclosure).

Bought a brand new Stihl KM-110-R engine (for trimmer and edger and more..)

All tests done with a totally emptied and refilled fuel tank, from a fresh, uncontaminated batch of mix according to Stihl directions.

All gas mix was done with Shell Premium Gas, purchased new at the pump and not mixed with other gas.

Mixing Amsoil 2-cycle oil with premium gas, very rough idle and hard to start. Mixing the Stihl 2-cycle oil at same measurement, pretty good, stable idle, does not stall engine.
Using Home Depot purchased Truefuel 50:1 - the absolute best easy start, easy and steady idle.

Wish Trufuel wasn't so expensive, alas, that's the result ;(

Please post which oil you used and the mix ratio as the others have requested. Seems as dealer, you should have included the particulars before putting capital FAIL in the subject. Nothing wrong with honesty, not every combination works well, regardless of oil brand. I have 2 stroke engines that run great on Dominator, but not the best on Saber, and the other way around as well.

I haven't tried Shell Premium on any of my OPE - usually use the regular low octane stuff - mostly Chevron, 2nd most Shell.
On occasion I have filled a jug with mid-grade because I was topping of a vehicle at the time with it.

Stihl 4 Mix Engine ratio is 50:1 or 1 gallon : 2.6 ounces

Here is pg 15,16 of the KM110R manual

xcujxe.jpg

zmjkv8.jpg

Picked up today 20 gallons of non-ethanol 90 octane fuel at the marina, plan to try that also with my own mix.

Also, Trufuel 50:1 is a non-ethanol mix

I have to agree with Pablo. We have been using Stihl trimmers since 1998. We ran the Stihl oil at first. Then one of our trimmers began loosing power. The shop said it needed to be "de-carbed"(carbon deposits).
Made the switch to Saber @80 to 1 and we have not had any issues since. We even run this in our jet ski. Fine product.

Nothing to add regarding Saber but I just purchased a Stihl FS 250 R (last true 2-stroke trimmer, man it's a beast).

The dealer had filled it with the orange bottle Stihl oil @ 50:1. It was a bit cold natured but after that tank (which didn't take long as this thing is a hog on fuel) I threw in some Stihl Ultra @ 50:1 and 89 octane and NO cold natured bogging, NO smoke, and felt like it had better throttle responese and idled like a champ.

Yeah that manual states to use gasoline not ethanol so that may be why the tru fuel ran so much better. I bet the carb could be adjusted to run on the pump gas.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Nothing to add regarding Saber but I just purchased a Stihl FS 250 R (last true 2-stroke trimmer, man it's a beast).

The dealer had filled it with the orange bottle Stihl oil @ 50:1. It was a bit cold natured but after that tank (which didn't take long as this thing is a hog on fuel) I threw in some Stihl Ultra @ 50:1 and 89 octane and NO cold natured bogging, NO smoke, and felt like it had better throttle responese and idled like a champ.

I thought all the larger displacement trimmers had gone to the 4 mix engine, or is this an older one? I just got a fs70 which is still a 2 mix two stroke, but all of the larger ones in the "pro" line seemed to be 4 mix.

I have been running it on the stihl ultra oil/motomix 92 octane and it seems to love it. Still breaking it in at this point. Two pulls on choke and it roars to life.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: genynnc

I thought all the larger displacement trimmers had gone to the 4 mix engine, or is this an older one? I just got a fs70 which is still a 2 mix two stroke, but all of the larger ones in the "pro" line seemed to be 4 mix.

I have been running it on the stihl ultra oil/motomix 92 octane and it seems to love it. Still breaking it in at this point. Two pulls on choke and it roars to life.

You are correct, most Stihl trimmers are the new 4-mix engine. However the FS 250 R is the last two-stroke engine still available. Get 'em while you can... however they charge a good bit for them.

Same way with mine though, choke it first pull, then regular/hot fuel selection and second pull, she's lit.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
4 mix? Do you mean 4 cycle?

No, 4 mix. It's a two stroke firing engine but with valves for intake and exhaust. Still uses mixed fuel and apparently are very efficient and clean, but some people still prefer a actual 2 stroke. Google 4 mix and you will find a animation of how the engine works.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
4 mix? Do you mean 4 cycle?

No, 4 mix. It's a two stroke firing engine but with valves for intake and exhaust. Still uses mixed fuel and apparently are very efficient and clean, but some people still prefer a actual 2 stroke. Google 4 mix and you will find a animation of how the engine works.

It is still a 4 stroke it just uses premix for lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back