Help my wife choose a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a copy of her FB post: it explains what she needs.
Nothing too fancy/expensive but price is not really a deciding factor

"...I want to get a bike. Need guidance.
Use would be mainly recreational, on paved roads, maybe an occasional event, nothing hard core. I haven't ridden a bike in a long time...
"

Thanks so much.

One of those tricycles where you are in a natural seating position and sitting in more of a chair than a seat. Easy on the knees. No balance issues.

Given the limited info, I think a flat bar road bike makes the most sense. It'll be more user-friendly than a drop-bar bike, have adequate gearing for any conditions, it will be comfortable right away and it will be reasonably light.

Here is one example, but most mfg's make a model that fits this category. Here is another example. The Raleigh listed about has a single chainring and an internal hub, the Marin has a regular derailleur setup. They both have their pluses and minuses. The internal hub has good range and the appearance of simplicity and is a little more user-friendly, the derailleured bike has more range of gearing.

What I'd avoid: hybrid bikes with suspension forks and seatposts (unnecessary weight and complexity for little gain), road racing bikes (which are great for racing), mountain bikes (they're great for riding offroad...).

Thanks for suggestions so far.

Please list which further details you guys need.
Wifey is 5'2" if it helps to make suggestions on sizes. (until we actually go and try some out).

what's her riding history so far (completely new to bikes, etc?), and her general fitness level? What length of rides does she see herself doing? (50 mile disease rides with big groups, 20 mile rides with friends, 20 minutes around the 'hood?).

It she generally averse to gadgets and techi stuff? (if so, an internal hub may be a plus). How hilly is the general terrain where she'll be riding?

Also, do you have any decent bike shops in the area? It's certainly good to have an idea of what you're looking for when you go in, but trying out some different styles of bikes would be good. Don't worry too much about the brand. All 'bike shop quality' bikes will be of good quality and similarly priced. That segment of the market is very, very competitive.

edit: I notice you're in Fayetteville. I'd check out Hawleys. Great shop, great folks there.

I would check out Chicks Harleys .
smile.gif

Depends on her age.

>55, take a good look at a recumbent. Large initial investment,but you will still be riding it at 100. They are extremely reliable and very little wear on your body.

Here is a great site with many experts willing to assist you in your search.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php

Don't overlook bikes of the "golden era" of bicycles being the mid 70's to 80's. The better quality examples were double butted chrom-moly steel framed bicycles with bullet proof shimano or suntour derailleurs with indexed shifting. IMHO the ride quality of these frames are superior to aluminum framed bicycles made today.

Excellent condition higher end road bikes branded Univega, Miyata, Trek and Lotus road bikes which sold for $500+ in the mid 70's-80's can be had for $100-$150 on Craig's list. Parts from that era are easily purchased on e-bay.

Similar condition mountain/hybrid bikes are also easily found. Univega and GT made great quality double butted steel framed bikes. I have a rigid frame Univega Uno mountain bike with wider profile slick street tires that provides a great comfortable recreational street ride.

You can find frame sizing calculators on the net. Typically frame sizing for mountain/hybrid bikes are smaller than sizing for road bikes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
here are her answers for the questions:

what's her riding history so far (completely new to bikes, etc?)
Hasn't ridden in about 15 years; before that, only rarely.

and her general fitness level?
Moderately fit, but lots of room for improvement.
Has done a couple of casual 5K runs in the last year or so

What length of rides does she see herself doing?
(50 mile disease rides with big groups, 20 mile rides with friends, 20 minutes around the 'hood?).
Mainly around the neighborhood and to a nearby grocery store, would also like to be able to handle a casual low mileage disease ride (the triathlon that her workplace sponsors includes only a 7 mile bike ride). this is NOT a priority, would do once a year or so.

It she generally averse to gadgets and techi stuff? (if so, an internal hub may be a plus).
Not completely averse, but only minimally interested.

How hilly is the general terrain where she'll be riding?
Not very. about 80% flat areas.

Last edited:
Right on, thanks for the info.

Cost no option (within reason), I'd say this: Alysa I8

Cost more of an option: Alysa FT 0

I'm not brand loyal, it's just that I'm most familiar with their product line. The other big players will have bikes which compare almost identically. Raleigh typically is pretty competitive though with this sort of bike, and is hard to beat value-wise.

The internal hub is super easy to use, you can shift when you aren't pedaling, and is generally just more enjoyable for casual users. It also adds expense, which is the downside. I think retail is about $700.00, versus $450.00 or so for the derailleured bike. Keep in mind that in the bike industry you don't hit the law of diminishing returns until you hit the 1k price point; i.e. if you spend $50.00 more, the bike really is $50.00 better. At the high end, you end up spending a lot for a little.

You can spend less, but unfortunately the $300.00 bikes from all makers tend to include lots of "features" like suspension forks, seat posts and adjustable stems,which add weight and complexity. Weird that you spend more to get "less", but the higher-end bikes have better parts on them.

Lastly, I'd definitely check out Hawley's. It's a family-run shop that's been in business for half a decade. Most of the staff has been there forever. It's a great shop, and they'll be really helpful.

Thanks much for the info, also on behalf on wifey.

Will certainly look at those Raliegh bike line-ups, and def. pay a visit to Hawley's next wk end.

Some friends have been recommending Trek FX series. 7.1 and 7.2
any thoughts on those?

Last edited:
The Series 7 bikes are basically the Trek versions of the Alysa; the FT 0 and FT 1 are really similar to the 7.1 and 7.2. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They're painfully similar. They're all buying parts (even frames) from the same vendors, so that's just kinda how the industry goes. The products don't really differentiate themselves until you get up into the really high end.

The one bummer is that Trek doesn't do a flat bar road bike with an internal hub. Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the Nexus internal hubs--particularly for casual riders. They're easier to use, require less maintenance and adjustment and they just seem less intimidating. Problem is that most companies only put them on retro/hipster bikes, but they work great on flat bar road bikes as well.

Thanks a lot for the great info.

I notice that none of those Raleighs or the Treks come with fenders...is that a concern?
I noticed that Raleigh Detour series comes with them...

Can one add them (meaning HAVE them added) to the bikes we discussed?

Also: wifey would like a little basket-thingy on the back or front for groceries...would that work with these bikes?

Forgive the many newb questions - and thanks for the patience
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I notice that none of those Raleighs or the Treks come with fenders...is that a concern?

Also: wifey would like a little basket-thingy on the back or front for groceries...would that work with these bikes?

Fenders and racks are inexpensive and easy to add on if the bike is designed to accommodate them. If you want those things, make sure the bike has mounting holes on the dropouts of both the frame and fork. These will allow you to mount both fenders and racks. The Marin and Raleigh bikes in those REI links do appear to have the mounting holes. I use full-sized fenders on both my summer and winter city bikes, as shown here on my winter beater:

NishikiExpedition.jpg

They were about $25 for the pair. Narrower versions are available for road-specific wheels. Other fender styles can be attached to less conventional frame/fork designs, but I haven't seen any that are nearly as good at keeping the rider clean.

I also have an aluminum rack that fits on the back, just above the fender, sharing the same mounting holes. I have no pics of that setup though. It cost about $20 and I can mount a basket or saddle bags to it.

Thanks a lot for the great info.

Forgive the many newb questions - and thanks for the patience
smile.gif

If you live where I do it's a concern! Seriously, normal people in normal weather--fenders aren't necessary. Frankly, they're a bit of a pain, since they rattle and when they get bumped around they can rub. You really need them about 7 months of the year out here, unfortunately... You can add them to any bike, though the Raleigh comes with braze-on eyelets, which makes fender installation easier. I'm not sure if the Trek has eyelets. Given Raleigh's NW roots, most of the bikes have eyelets for fenders. Aftermarket fenders are readily available. All that said, normal people can just wait a day or two and wait for it to stop raining. Sadly, I don't have that option.

As far as the bag/basket, go for a rear rack with a bag on the back. If you put in on the handlebars, the bike handles funny. Most flat bar road bikes will have braze-on outlets for a rear rack as well.

Any decent bike shop will get her fit and explain the options available. Find the style and size of bike that she prefers and then we can help you pick one based on that info.

Fit is the most important factor!

Here's a copy of her FB post: it explains what she needs.
Nothing too fancy/expensive but price is not really a deciding factor

"...I want to get a bike. Need guidance.
Use would be mainly recreational, on paved roads, maybe an occasional event, nothing hard core. I haven't ridden a bike in a long time...
"

Thanks so much.

Go to the various local bike shops in the area that carry, ie: Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, etc.

She probably doesn't need a Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex (gets expensive real quick)....

A Shimano Sora/Tiagra with a triple crank should be more than sufficient.

An entry level Trek 1-series, Specialized Allez or Secteur (or the womens version), etc... should suffice.

Many ladies to ride the unisex bikes (ie men's)... as some prefer the geometry over the Women's specific geometry & colors.

There is a "race geometry" or "endurance/relaxed/plush geometry".... only the local bike shop listening to your wife's needs and also importantly, physical abilities, ie flexibility, etc... will determine the type of bike and the appropiate frame size.

Local bike shops tend to offer a basic fit of the bike, which fit, above all is the most important factor of bikes, which will make or break someone's enjoyment of riding.

To go clipless or not? I say spend the money and get clipess pedals, even if it's a dual sided pedal like a Shimano A520 pedal.... they will use a SPD cleat that works with mountain bike shoes (some road bike shoes) and casual shoes with SPD attachment. Clipless, imo, is important with the fitting of the bike, as it consistently locates the feet on the pedal, that itself affects the position of the saddle.

I bought a Kona Blast the end of February. There is no comparison between it and the Costco bike I was using. This happened because I was shopping with my 13 year old daughter and found the better bikes really are better. The shifting is way smoother. Then I had to have one. I ride about 2.6 miles every day including up a long hill to my office. Definitely good for me. It is one of the advantages of living with everlasting sunshine.

For your wife, I like the 27 speeds, I like the disk brakes and I think I would have liked a soft tail a little more than the hard tail this bike has. I also replaced the seat almost right away. I got a kick stand, rear rack and a bag for the rack, in addition to the water bottle holder (also necessary in this climate).

My wife wanted to get into tri's recently and found a local fellow newby triathlete who was graduating out of their Specialized Dolce road bike into a real tri bike. She got it off her in great condition for $500. She then took it to a local bike shop and get it tweaked and fitted. After much procrastinating, she did her first tri this past weekend and had a blast.

Thanks all, for the invaluable advice and feedback.
We are waiting till we both have a day/two off at the same time, (which doesn't happen very often) to go visit 2-3 major bike shops in our area, and hope to ask about/test some of the models we've discussed above. Hoping to get wifey fitted also, which will be the main starting point as you guys said.

Keep the suggestions coming, and as soon as we have made a little trip to the bike shops, I will have more to say and probably more to ask
smile.gif

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back