changing 91 camry trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm going to do the tranny fluid change. How do I make it not leak. How tight should I tighten the bolts to? And any other pointers? I've had trouble in the past doing transmission pans forbsome reason just my luck I guess. Any help would be great thanks guys.

That pan should have a drain plug, my 93 Camry w/4cyl did. When was the filter last changed? Maybe just drain & fill, or a cooling line flush. Get a FelPro gasket rather than the cheap cork one that comes with many filter kits.

I'm not sure if it does I just bought it if it does that'll make things a lot less messy. I'm not sure when it was last changed so ill do it to be safe.

I use to work at a Toyota dealer and have done many of these trans services. It is the same procedure on 1987-2001 Camry's.
This trans has a 10mm allen drain plug, and the filter is just a metal screen that flushes itself everytime you shut off the engine. There is no need to drop the pan, as this is a LIFETIME filter. When draining the fluid make sure you have a 10mm Allen socket, and NOT a 3/8" socket, as it will strip the drain plug.
Also the Differential has a seperate drain and fill.
The drain is also a 10mm allen drain plug, and the fill is a 17mm on the back side of the diff. You can access this with a long 17mm box wrench. Granted this is assuming you are working on a 4 cylinder. The v6 has a seperate drain for the diff, but it fills from the trans.
Make sure that you loosen the Diff Fill plug BEFORE you drain the fluid. What good is draining the fluid, if you can't refill it.
To refill the diff you will need a fluid transfer pump, or you will need to get creative with a funnel, and some tubing from the top. The trans takes between 1.5-2 quarts when filled from the dipstick tube, and the differential takes about 2 quarts. All fluid is Dexron III/Mercon or equivilent and can be purchased anywhere. I'll try to find a diy write up. Many DIY'rs roast their differential because they don't know about the fill plug on the back side of the diff.
Good luck,
Justin

Its the four Banger with electronic o/d so I'm a little confused is there a drain plug on the pan and one on the torque converter? And ill need a ten mm Allen to get them off? I've never worked on a Toyota so I'm a little dumb on the subject

For now do the transmission, get a good feeling and then tackle the diff. What he was saying is that both engine/vehicles have a drain for the diff, one you fill through the diff. and the other through the transmission. Your you fill through the diff, not the transmission.

The Amsoil website lists capacities for your exact transmission.

Consider doing a cooling line flush, its easier than you think. And costs about $1.00 for 3ft of 3/8" clear tubing.

Yes, get the metric allen wrench.

How about a Magnefine inline filter, its a real filter with media and a magnet. About $15-$18 and ten minutes to install.

I used Amsoil ATF in my Camry, I think its the best (but expensive) stuff available.

I sold my 1993 Camry at 220K (or around that) only because I did not want to spend the money for a timing belt change. It ran fine.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Its the four Banger with electronic o/d so I'm a little confused is there a drain plug on the pan and one on the torque converter? And ill need a ten mm Allen to get them off? I've never worked on a Toyota so I'm a little dumb on the subject

yes, drain plug on the trans pan, and one on the diff.

Yes you will need a 10MM allen bit to get it off.
This is what you need:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10mm-hex-...p;blockType=G12
It's 5 bucks at Sears.

No problems, Toyota's are one of the easiest cars to work on.
Hope this helps,
Justin

Here's a video on how to change the trans fluid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-nhSpJjYyE

DO NOT use the lucas fluid additive that is recomended.
Toyota Transmissions don't react well to it.

This is on a Lexus RX300, but the drain and fill procedure is the same. However your Camry will take less fluid, because you fill the differential from underneath. (Shown in the other video.)

Your Camry will take between 1.5-2 quarts of transmission fluid in the transmission.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back