leaving Auto Rx for mor than 500miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it okay to leave Auto Rx in for more than 500 miles on dino oil, like 600 miles? Like a dumbnut
pat.gif
, I neglected to write down when I put it in (mileage wise). Had to reset the car's ECU and this wiped out trip readings on my digital odometer.

TIA,
Brian

Don't worry, an extra hundred miles or two won't hurt a thing, & might even help a little. I ran a full Auto-Rx dose in a pretty clean engine for 1100 miles with no problems.

Running it longer won't hurt. The only time it would hurt would be if your oil filter ended up getting too plugged up, but the chances of that are pretty slim.

I think leaving it in for longer than 500 miles is beneficial, especially if it's your second treatment. On my second treatment I'm gonna do about 1000 miles. On my mom's first treatment, I'm gonna do 1000 miles, but mostly because I'm running it in conjunction with Mobil 1 SuperSyn, so it'll take longer to clean due to the esters in SuperSyn.

When I did my car I ran the first for 1k miles, then ran plain dino for 2k and added RX again for 800 more miles. No problems. But also didn't notice any benefit.(Didn't have any problems beforehand though) At least I can be assured a clean engine.
Actually wish I kept the second one in even longer. I'm sure all the important parts were clean but it does have some light varnish under the valve cover on the head and it did't seem to do much to it until toward the end of the second interval, when the RX really started going to town. Should've left it in to get it all. Doubt it matters, but would be nice to see all silver color when I adjust my valves. At least the Red Line will continue cleaning a bit. But much more slowly and less thouroughly.

Also put RX in the new GTP to whatever was in it when we bought it and it was in for about 700miles. Getting it analyzed.

There is no risk, except plugging a filter like Patman said. I'm pretty sure it has been tested out to over 3k miles. If anything the oil may actually perform better with the RX in it.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is the first(only) treatment. Should I just add a new filter?

I was thinking that Frank told me to run the first treatment 1k, then change oil and filter. Are you saying I should change the filter 500 miles into the first treatment?

Yea, all I'm saying is if you leave the stuff in for longer than the instructions say, ie 500 miles, change your oil filter at 500 miles so it doesn't become clogged.

Yea, depending on how many miles you think you have on this treatment, sswitch out the filter in a couple hundred miles, then run it out for another 750 or so and call it good. That's what I'm doing per Frank's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back