Saturn manual tranny ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 98 sc2 as a beater/gas saver. I thought the transmission could use some help so I swapped out the perfectly good ATF that the car calls for, with pennzoil Syncromesh. I havent noticed any improvement. If anything, I have noticed the transmission has become a little harder to shift? Will this hurt anything in a tranny that calls for ATF?

The maintenance schedule for the Saturn S-Series with manual transmissions says the fluid only needs to be changed once at 6,000 miles using a Dexron-III automatic transmission fluid - or one that is compatible to it.

Synchromesh should only be used if it requires it.For instance,Cavalier 2.2 with Isuzu 5 speed uses synchromesh.

Sounds like the Saturn does not like the thicker fluid. ATF is about a 20 weight, whereas syncromesh is about a 30 weight. Ford transmission that spec ATF typically shift a lot better with a syncromesh fluid. I would run Redline ATF in it for max antiwear. Amsoil is great oil, but I don't know how much antiwear is in their ATF.

No, you won't hurt it with the syncromesh fluid.
It is protecting gears and bearings much better than ATF -esp. old ATF that is beat up and even thinner.
Shifting worse? It may have to work into the metal pores - give it 500 miles before passing judgment.
So in general, you did your trans a favor and performed an upgrade.

+1 on mechtech2 recommending to give it some miles after a change. I put some AMALIE dual rated GL5 in my toyota transaxle and with the first drive around the block I thought it was a mistake, but after some cleaning and bedding in it did OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back