Which Berryman product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of the Berryman product would safely clean fuel injectors better?

I'm guessing those with a higher concentration of toluene are probably more effective, based on the study supplied by one of the members of the board.
Should I be worried about putting any of the other ingredients in vehicle's fuel system, for example methanol and acetone?

TOTAL FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER:

Ingredient Name CAS Number % wt
----------------------------------------------
TOLUENE 108-88-3 40-50
POLYMERIC AMINE/AMIDO DETERGENTS Mixture 20-25
METHANOL 67-56-1 10-20
ACETONE 67-64-1 5-15
HEXANES 110-54-3 1-5

PREMIUM GAS TREATMENT:

-------------------------------------------------
TOLUENE 108-88-3 50-60
ACETONE 67-64-1 15-20
METHANOL 67-56-1 15-20
HEXANES 110-54-3 5-10
POLYMERIC AMINE/AMIDO DETERGENTS Mixture
INTAKE VALVE AND INJECTOR CLEANER FUEL TREATMENT:

---------------------------------------
MIXED XYLENES 1330-20-7 60-70
N-PROPANOL 71-23-8 15-20
2-BUTOXYETHANOL 111-76-2 10-15
ETHYL BENZENE 100-41-4 5-15

CARBURETOR CLEANER FUEL TREATMENT:

----------------------------------
MIXED XYLENES 1330-20-7 65-75
N-PROPANOL 71-23-8 15-20
2-BUTOXYETHANOL 111-76-2 5-15
ETHYL BENZENE 100-41-4 5-15

Thanks!

What car make do you have? The safest bet would be to use the carmakers own house brand of fuel injector cleaner and follow the directions explicitly.

For example Toyota makes a little 5 ounce can of Toyota EFI Injector Cleaner. Like Techron, it contains petroleum naptha (kerosene) distillates and other ingredients not found in Techron like Butyl Cellosolve and Amines. The directions on this product say

"Empty entire contents of one full can into the fuel tank when tank is one half full. The mixture should be used within one week to avoid possible adverse effects to fuel hoses. Wait until the tank is empty before refueling."

Thus the really simple and safe way to use a powerful cleaner like this product would be to add it to half a tank of gasoline just before going on a long drive. That way the mixture could be used up in a matter of hours all on the same day and there would be no possible adverse effects to worry about.

quote:

Originally posted by Malibu:
What car make do you have? The safest bet would be to use the carmakers own house brand of fuel injector cleaner and follow the directions explicitly.

For example Toyota makes a little 5 ounce can of Toyota EFI Injector Cleaner. Like Techron, it contains petroleum naptha (kerosene) distillates and other ingredients not found in Techron like Butyl Cellosolve and Amines. The directions on this product say

"Empty entire contents of one full can into the fuel tank when tank is one half full. The mixture should be used within one week to avoid possible adverse effects to fuel hoses. Wait until the tank is empty before refueling."

Thus the really simple and safe way to use a powerful cleaner like this product would be to add it to half a tank of gasoline just before going on a long drive. That way the mixture could be used up in a matter of hours all on the same day and there would be no possible adverse effects to worry about.

Yep that's right, then after they found out that didn't work, they use the neutra 131 that costs them about 2 bucks a bottle, and stick it into the tank, drive it about2-3 miles, and after it resolves thier drivability problem, charge 8 bucks to the customer for that 2 buck after market bottle of neutra. So point is, this topic was a choice of those he gave not use only dealer products. So, if you want to answer the question, thanks, but do answer the question with the topic he used, not spout off dealer only, dealer only.. it's a broken record, and of course this information you have provided has no value to his question. Oh, BTW, One of the other toyota dealers, they have berryman cans, winn's and a few other after market products laying around. Their 3 part injector cleaning system only works part of the time and the only reason they buy it is they are required to purchase so much chemicals from toyota a year as part of the dealer ship requirements so that in itself, doesn't qualify that product as better than others.

Gimme, Sorry, I just had to point out that dealer too use many after market products and that it is rediculas to think that they would be the only one to provide any good products. Yes, there is times dealer parts are a better value, but in your question, I am going to leave that up to one of the chemical gurus about this question such as molecule.

I myself, use the 131 neutra provided by schaeffers as it provides excellent lubrication, acid neutralization, and awsome cleaning. As for the ones listed, I really couldn't be all that objective as I really haven't taken the time to look into them.

Bob, the parts & fluids carmaker factory engineers recommend and the products dealers
actually use are unfortunately sometimes different. This is because OEM products like
genuine Honda antifreeze cost the dealer more to buy than a cheap green aftermarket
antifreeze. So the OEM stuff is inherently less profitable for dealerships.

So the wary consumer needs to insist on genuine OEM parts and fluids if they want to
take care of their vehicles the way the factory engineers intended. They need to steer
clear of cheaper, higher profit products some sleazy dealers may try to peddle. Just two
days ago, for example, I was out-of-town and dropped by an unfamiliar Honda dealer to
pick up three bottles of genuine Honda brake fluid. The counter person tried to hustle
me some strange brand of aftermarket brake fluid. I said no thanks and left in disgust. Things like this probably don't happen at Acura dealerships.

you are correct, the profitability is a big driving force in product selection for many dealers. None the less, that dealer should have had what you were requesting as they are required to carry a certain limit of their product line as a requirement of dealership rules.

The point I'm trying to make is that just because a dealer carry's a special brand of fluid, or part, doesn't always qualify all aftermarket products to be bad and not a good product that cannot be used for the vehicle.

This is the point of this board, to discuss these products with the use of technical data and not just someone's opinion. There's been no evidence of technical data to show that the dealer item in this case would be as good or better, but his opinion is that if it's not genuine dealer item, it won't work.

We have a very select few that do nothing but ALWAYS push dealer items only, no actually one.

The situation as indicated above about the 131 neutra vers dealer products is an actual deal and , this product, just because it's not made by toyota, I can assure you, qualifies as a better product than any of toyota's branded items for that same use. Now does that mean all dealer items are sub grade, of course not, and not everything should be disposed of, but take the toyota atf, there is no after market product to my knowledge that would do what that fluid does, therefore, yes, dealer item only, but gear oil and motor oil, I can assure you there is much better fluids available. All prove out by analysis, and not just personal opinion.

Yes, engineers did a great job of developing these engines and does have specific products in mind when doing so, but also, there is some aftermarket manufactures out there that do make exceptional, and in some cases a greater than exceptional replacement product that can or may be used.

This is the point of this site, to help break down this common myth about lubricants and such.

The comment,
quote:

is what triggered me off.

We really don't need to hear use only dealer items all the time, as the question posed on this thread is about 4 over the counter common items which does not include the dealers item. Malibu does nothing but preach dealer item only and quite honestly, it's getting old as he normally has no comparison tests, no specific technical product info to compare the differences but the how to use and normal sales info that everyone already has seen or aware of type of stuff, and he has not shown how this or that product is superior to xyz.

If someone asks a specific question about a specific product(s), then answer that question about specific product(s) not the song and dance of dealer only making it sound like it the vehicle wont last if you don't stick with only dealer oils /products or nothing else works as good WITHOUT PROVING HIS STATEMENT, which happens all the time. This is the point I have about this whole issue.

[ March 12, 2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

No sweat, Bob. Actually that was exactly my intention: based on the chermical composition of these products, which one would be more effective and safe to use in any vehicles' fuel system, considering most fuel systems will have rubber, plastics, nylon parts.
Both my vehicles are manufactured by Nissan and I'm not aware of Nissan endorsing any type of fuel injector cleaners. Should I then ignore my fuel system completely knowing how carbon deposits and other contaminants may affect it in the long run?
Regarding other fluids, if my owner manual tells me , for example, I can use Nissan D-Matic or any Dexron III compatible fluid in my auto tranny, why sticking with Nissan when there is probably other aftermarket fluids with as good or better chermical properties?

Bob, I would LOVE to try Neutra, but I haven't been able to find the time to make that phone call... Any reason why there are no distributors with online services? It would be awesome if we could buy this stuff over the net, 24/7!!

[ March 12, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: GimmeTorq ]

well, you can always send schaeffers an email but i don't endorse that as they are not a site sponsor and quite honestly, they are more expensive and response time may not be as good. that 800# or tims is quite easy to call and he has it sent out quickly IMO.,

have a good one.

Gimmetorq, FYI:

Nissan TSB # 94-002 1/10/94 Fuel Injector Cleaner Usage
Applies to all models with "pintle-less" injectors. Indicates that usage of
injector cleaner can cause corrosion of the fuel injector coil and eventual
failure of the injector. Model year 1993-on.

quote:

Originally posted by Malibu:
Gimmetorq, FYI:

Nissan TSB # 94-002 1/10/94 Fuel Injector Cleaner Usage
Applies to all models with "pintle-less" injectors. Indicates that usage of
injector cleaner can cause corrosion of the fuel injector coil and eventual
failure of the injector. Model year 1993-on.

Thanks for the info. I have a '02 VQ35DE and a '97 VG30 series engine, which was already diagnosed problems with fuel injectors. Couldn't find that TSB but interestingly enough found this other TSB .

[ March 13, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: GimmeTorq ]

Found the MSDS for the recommended 3M product (P/N 08956)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. INGREDIENT C.A.S. NO. PERCENT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOLUENE...................... 108-88-3 40.0 - 70.0
METHYL ALCOHOL................ 67-56-1 10.0 - 30.0
XYLENE...................... 1330-20-7 10.0 - 30.0
DIACETONE ALCOHOL............ 123-42-2 10.0 - 30.0
ETHYLBENZENE.................. 100-41-4 3.0 - 7.0
BENZENE......................... 71-43-2 < 0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back