I Srewed up My Instrument Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inadvertently sprayed window cleaner on my clear plastic instrument panel. It left a few cloudy spots. Is there a way I can remove those cloudy looking spots?

Try Meguiar's PlastX. I sprayed 303 Aerospace Protectant on my instrument cluster plastic by accident and the spots never went away on their own. I removed the plastic from the cluster and polished both sides with PlastX and the vast majority of the spots are now gone.

I had the same problem with my Cruze after taking it to the car wash. It did not show up till the next day. I used Crest toothpaste on a little piece of cloth and a little elbow grease and it actually worked.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I inadvertently sprayed window cleaner on my clear plastic instrument panel. It left a few cloudy spots. Is there a way I can remove those cloudy looking spots?

Did you use automotive, ammonia-free? I've never intentionally used it to clean clear plastic, but having some accidental over-spray never seemed to cause any issues.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Try Meguiar's PlastX. I sprayed 303 Aerospace Protectant on my instrument cluster plastic by accident and the spots never went away on their own. I removed the plastic from the cluster and polished both sides with PlastX and the vast majority of the spots are now gone.

This is exactly what I did. I actually let it set on the plastic for quite some time.
I'll give this a try. Obviously, 303 does something, huh?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Did you use automotive, ammonia-free? I've never intentionally used it to clean clear plastic, but having some accidental over-spray never seemed to cause any issues.

FWIW, I wasn't trying to beat you about the brow if it was household glass cleaner that you used. I'm curious to know whether the automotive-use, ammonia-free glass cleaner, if that's what you did use, affects plastic. If so, I'll need to be a lot more careful - I kind of just spray away with out regard for collateral damage. Ha

FWIW, I wasn't trying to beat you about the brow if it was household glass cleaner that you used. I'm curious to know whether the automotive-use, ammonia-free glass cleaner, if that's what you did use, affects plastic. If so, I'll need to be a lot more careful - I kind of just spray away with out regard for collateral damage. Ha

I agree. If it was an ammonia based cleaner (windex for example) it can cause problems on automotive plastic and windows. It has been known to cloud plastic and break down the glue on any form of tint. As mentioned above, plasticx will work and in the future I would use a slightly damp microfiber and a dry one to clean the plastic. Works wonders and as cheap as a splash of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back