List all the blends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have never even considered blends if it wasn't for Motorcraft, my Mustang, and my Uncle the Ford Parts Counter Man.

I like the idea of a blend. Somewhere inbetween overkill and cheap dino. Not too long, not too short.

I was wondering if you could throw out some brands that manufacture BLENDS. I think I might go this route.

I used to use MC blend all the time, but I got bored and wanted to change it up.

Thanks!

There seems to be a lot of speculation that even dino oils are part synthetic now to meet SN, but they keep up the labeling charade as to not confuse the consumers or lose a niche in the market.

Kendall synthetic blend is a good oil for a reasonable price if you can find it. Its made by the same company that makes motorcraft.

Kendall synthetic blend is a good oil for a reasonable price if you can find it. Its made by the same company that makes motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
There seems to be a lot of speculation that even dino oils are part synthetic now to meet SN, but they keep up the labeling charade as to not confuse the consumers or lose a niche in the market.

I think you have hit it right on the head. The Resolute oil at Fleet Farm, produced by Citgo, is labeled as a syn blend for SN, but only the 5W-20 and 5W-30. The 10W-30/40 are not syn blends. To meet SN and the 5W rating, I believe some percentage of syn must be used. What that percentage is is probably unknown at this time.

Over the last year or two, I've picked up quite a few cases of Trop-Artic synthetic blend from $1.59-$1.99 a quart. In reality, Trop-Artic is a Motorcraft clone. While they used to have monthly sales on the stuff at the local Orscheln stores, the good sales have now dropped off to about one every six months. To me, having an oil that's part synthetic really means very little, as there are plenty of good dino oils on the market that will enable your engine outlive your car.

Mobil Super High Mileage is a blend. been using that for a while now. Only HM oil with the (resource conserving) lingo right on the starburst.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden

+1 I think there will eventually be a move where original dino is replaced with some form of syn.

QS Defy is synblended and SM rated. My car is older and id rather have the seal swellers and higher zinc then slightly better mileage.

Like others, I feel most 'conventionals' these days are in fact a syn-blend oil to meet specs, especially 5W-20's.

I think the only 100% 'conventional' oils these days are HD oils, like 15W-40 and straight-weights. Some 10W-30's may be 100% 'conventional' (ie, 100% group-II)

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Mobil Super High Mileage is a blend. been using that for a while now. Only HM oil with the (resource conserving) lingo right on the starburst.
smile.gif

See Super Tech HM 5 or 10w-30
wink.gif

I just performed a couple of oil changes using 4 quarts of Castrol GTX white bottle, 5w-20 and 2 quarts of Castrol SynBlend 20w-50 in 6 quart sumps. These vehicles call for a 5w or 10w-30 so this was a nice blended mix.

If the 5w20 GTX White Bottle has a lot of synthetic, as many believe, then the Castrol SynBlend will compliment the oil. The only time I buy a Synthetic Blended oil is when it is on clearance or closeout. It seems that many APS are clearing out synthetic blends.

BTW.....the Castrol SynBlend was on Clearance at AAP for $1.95 a quart.

Yo can also use a 5o/50 blended mix of Shell Rotella, Triple Protection 15w-40 with QSUD 0w-20 or Peak Full Synthetic 5w-20. The QSUD and Peak Full Synthetic were closeout specials.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark72
Who ever said that conventional Castrol GTX was a blend? that true?

If people state that most 5w20 and 5w30 conventional oils contain a good dose of synthetic to meet the API SN requirements....then why not Castrol GTX conventional oil?

IMO...Slowly...but surely most Auto Parts Stores are unloading synthetic blended oils and Full Synthetic Oils that are not "fast movers" to free up shelf space for more products.

I don't think a syn blend is required to meet API SN specs.
But we have said here a few times that the GM dexos1 spec seems to require at least a syn blend to meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back