Fuel Power is strong stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say that I almost found out the hard way what a strong solvent fuel power seems to be. It could be my imagination but I put some in an Amsoil PI bottle that was empty and clean, thinking wow what a perfect bottle to store it in. The bottle fits in my door compartment and has a long neck to reach inside my fuel cap without spilling. Well it was in there for a week and when I went to get more for the next fill up the bottle was really soft. Now remember this is the same HARD plastic #3 bottle a week ago and now it was as soft as ever. I almost could put my finger through it. Good thing I caught it in time. The Gallon Fuel Power came in is a #2 plastic so I am using the bottle that was sent with the gallon for easy measurements. Live and learn.
grin.gif

patriot.gif

When I said this stuff was Bad A--ed I wasn't kidding. 1 oz to 5 gallons of fuel ought to be a hint. I have not seen it eat any plastic we have put it in, interesting.

Odis Beaver was testing the efficacy of using 1/2 ounce to 5 gallons in Diesels ( School Buses ) and has seen it work quite well. A little experimenting with levels in your specific application can reveal a optimum level for you.

Note that Lube Control is even stronger.

Pablo is correct, our paper on the product was very conservative in use of the LC/FP products but we did use FP in 10x the recommended dosage with 0 probs. Odis has recommended dosages higher than ours and depending on the application anything in between that range is safe and effective. Molekule was the key consulting Chemist and Physicist on this project and can lend a more scientific angle to the discussion if he chooses.

If you use PET bottles you will be ok. PVC and other plastics may be "depolymerized" by the constituents. It's always a good idea to keep the fuel additives in their original containers.

I did almost the same thing one time. Carried some fuel additive brew that contained toluene in a clear, fuel stabilizer bottle. Luckily, I saw the bottle start "prunning" and removed it from the trunk. I had to go with Teflon bottles for this stuff (and they are expensive!)

I am conservative when it comes to additives, and LC is no exception. Now FP is OK at Odis's recommended treatment rates. LC has a great set of cleaners that "depolmerize" or break down sludges. One set of constituents in LC softens the deposits while another decomposes and disperses the deposits. I have witnessed a piston crown that had a thick coating of carbon on it, and applied LC directly to the crown to see it literally melt the carbon and turn into a black oil which had a slightly thicker viscosity then the LC.

[ March 11, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

For a quite a while, I used old Schaeffer Neutra bottles for FP, no problems. I'm now using some little squeeze bottles sold for hair dye- I keep FP in one, LC in another, & Neutra in a 3rd. No visible problems so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back