Wix: 57356 vs. 51356

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of you tell me the difference between the Wix 57356 and 51356 oil filters? The specs read the same on the Wix website. Wix lists the 57 as the replacement filter for the 2012 Honda CRV and the 51 as the equivalent of the PL14610 which I have a large supply of. Basically trying to find out if the 14610 is suitable for the 2012 (as it was for the 2011).

I've been through this with my Honda too.
There is really no difference in all honesty. I have used both part #'s on my Civic and they both fit and are the same dimensions etc.

Not sure why they have a revised or new number, when it is almost if not exactly the same thing. Some parts books at parts stores even say my car takes the 7317 Fram for example which cross references with the 1356 Wix.

I asked Wix and they sent me the following 2 replies:

"57365 has a more recessed baseplate then what the 51356 does and this difference will allow the 57356 to have more thread coverage.
Since the baseplate recesses back further on the 57356, it will catch more threads on the base."

"57356 has a more recessed base plate then the 51356 , that's all.also , Wix will only warranty the filter we say to use only. If you install another one and it should cause any problems there will be no warranty on it through Wix."

My CR-Z calls for the 57356 and my Dad's Accord calls for the 51356; I was looking to commonize the filters I have.

^^^^Based on what has been posted here and the appearance of the 57356 on the Wix site, not quite the whole story being told by Wix here. For some reason the 57356 uses a less durable nitrile adbv as opposed to the 51356 which uses a silicone adbv. While there may be some tapping plate difference the 51356/1356(NG) has long worked and been spec'd for Hondas. I have some I got on sale and plan on using, but I don't have any warranty considerations.

I sure wouldn't pay a premium or everyday price for a Wix with a nitrile adbv when silicone is available either from Wix, or a competitor like P1 still specing the PL14610 for Honda. Or I'd use a less expensive Classic with a nitrile adbv, but that just me. Afaik, though 2012 is not currently listed on the Puro site, the PL/L14610 is still the spec for the 2012 Honda CRV. For confirmation, email Purolator.

Below find some threads discussing these Wix changes.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2581295

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2612745&page=1

So there you go. Just use the 1356 and call it a day.
My dad's car uses the same filters as mine (sorta, 1356 vs 7356) but I've used filters from his filter stash on my car before. They work fine.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Thanks guys. I sure want to use up my stash of PL 14610's!

IMO....You can't go wrong using PureOne's. If it were me, I wouldn't use anything else!

Another option, although I know people are partial to Wix (I'm one of them), are the Bosch Premiums. The one that fits many of these applications (i.e. the 3300) at least has the silicone ADBV, if that's a concern for people.

Maximum1966 -
if your vehicle is still in warranty, and/or you want Wix to cover any potential issues, you'd need to use the spec'd fitler.

If warranty coverage is not an issue, I see no reason whatsoever to at least use up your current stock. If your OCIs are not greatly extended, and being in GA, then the nitrile ADBV isn't really a big issue. I, as most, prefer the silicone ADBV, but nitrile serve well in millions upon millions of filters around the globe for "normal" applications. As I understand your question, you want to know if the filters are a reasonable interchange to use up your current shelf stock in your application; "yes" is the short answer. No harm should come from their use. Just realize that in the remote chance it does, you're not covered.

Or, most retail stores will allow you to exchange them for full value if they are in the box and in good shape, and then select a different filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Another option, although I know people are partial to Wix (I'm one of them), are the Bosch Premiums. The one that fits many of these applications (i.e. the 3300) at least has the silicone ADBV, if that's a concern for people.

I'm sure your aware that the PureOne and Bosch Preminum..are CLONES internally....

Only difference is the color and texture of the can.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I'm sure your aware that the PureOne and Bosch Preminum..are CLONES internally....

Yes, but I can't readily get P1s here, whereas I can obtain the Bosch Premiums for under $5 online.

Quote:
Yes, but I can't readily get P1s here, whereas I can obtain the Bosch Premiums for under $5 online.

In the States, generally just the opposite situation. P1 frequently go on sale, currently $5 at AAP and using online codes they can be had for ~$3-4. Bosch Prem. only readily available at AZ for ~$7 and rarely on sale except with oil and filter promos.

As for the topic, while I agree the nitrile adbv will work fine, and I've used them often, I'm not paying a premium or even the same price as filters using a silicone adbv. The bigger question is why Wix has now seen fit to change to nitrile when they have long touted silicone adbv's in the Wix and Napa Gold line? With the PL14610 using a silicone adbv and afaik still spec'd for the 12 CRV, that would be a solid and warranty concern-free option. I also like the 51356 as an option, but as mentioned there would be some warranty considerations using it in a 12 CRV. And, even the Honda A-01 and A-02 still use a silicone adbv.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
In the States, generally just the opposite situation. P1 frequently go on sale, currently $5 at AAP and using online codes they can be had for ~$3-4. Bosch Prem. only readily available at AZ for ~$7 and rarely on sale except with oil and filter promos.

It's nutty up here. The only Purolator products I can actually buy locally are Motorcraft and QS filters. Local Bosch filters are Made in Germany for European applications only. Getting the P1s even online here is extremely difficult. Bosch online is easy and cheap.

As for the ADBV, I agree. That's why I'm annoyed with Wix and their change for my G. The newly specified 51358 is more money, yet has a nitrile ADBV versus the 51365 which had a silicone one. If I want nitrile, I can stick to the Hastings for less money. Oddly, the Baldwin prices are all messed up here. The 51356 (longer) equivalent is about half the price of the 51365 equivalent. Yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back