LubeControl/FuelPower dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.
LubeControl or FuelPower will cost me 31¢/oz.-delivered.

I know that LubeControl cleans the engine, but so does $1 worth of Neutra. LC will extend the oil's life, but I'd do an additional analyis to check this, so no savings there. Am I missing another LC benefit in this equation?

FuelPower cleans the fuel system, but so does $2 worth of Neutra periodically. FP decreases fuel consumption and adds 6¢ to a gallon of gasoline (used 1-oz./5-gal.). Does it decrease the fuel consumption enough to pay? Am I missing another FP benefit here?

Ken

I don't sell either but have used and tested both.

Fuel Power cleans as it extends mileage somewhat. I see slightly increased mileage with Fuel Power because of the extra energy available from it's ingredients.

I look upon Neutra as a fuel stabilizer and combustion cleaner, and use it as an engine flush for those real crudded-up engines.

Lube Control cleans the crankcase and conditions seals. I use it for cleaning up piston faces and valve systems "in-situ." I use Lube Control for conditioning seals in hydraulic systems for customers who do not want the cost of replacing seals right away.

Fuel Power and Lube Control have this minty, apricot aroma. Neutra has this cresyl acid smell and is very pungent.

They are both good products for what they do. That's my put, the final decision is up to the potential user.

Ah, the smell of cresylic acid...I've used lots of cresylic acid products (prefer Unitor's) to clean coked heavy fuel oil heaters...reminds me of work...
mad.gif

Ken

Speaking of Lube Control/Fuel Power. Has anybody seen an MSDS for these Elixers? I would like to know what their hazardous consitituents are.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

Lube Control cleans the crankcase and conditions seals. I use it for cleaning up piston faces and valve systems "in-situ." I use Lube Control for conditioning seals in hydraulic systems for customers who do not want the cost of replacing seals right away.

If my memory is correct, Bob would say that Neutra 131 does the same thing as you mention above. If I substituted "Neutra" for "Lube Control" in the above paragraph about cleaning and conditioning - it would be what I've been lead to believe is what Neutra is suppose to be doing in my engine.

Isn't that your understanding also? Have I missed something here?

darrenc,

We have the MSDS' for each of the constituents, but the mix is proprietary.

Cressida,

For cleaning the crankcase and conditioning seals, yes. The Lube Control has a higher viscosity base oil, which I believe helps the lubrication process as it cleans.

Both are fairly aggressive cleaners.

If Odis wishes to publish an MSDS, then he can do so. That is his call.

BTW, MSDS' does NOT list all of the constituents of an oil or formulation. Not sure what is to be gained by an MSDS, unless you're looking for poison control or fire fighting information.

Flammability tests on these products show very high flash points.

[ March 11, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Molakule,

My background is in occupational toxicology/industrial hygiene, though I’m currently a water quality scientist. Things like TLVs, PELs, IDLH, concern me…probably only because I’m aware of their existence and have an understanding of their implication. The small amounts of chemistry most of us play with hardly constitute an “occupational risk,” they are, nonetheless, interesting to ponder.

Darren

None of the ingredients in FP or LC constitute a health risk unless sprayed on mucous membrances, vapors inhaled, or the liquid is ingested by mouth. Common precautions need to taken with these products as with any product derived or synthesized from hydrocarbons.

One of the paramount questions we had when we began testing of both products was the health risks associated with each of the ingredients separately and when combined. EPA and toxicolgy literature was researched until we had a clear picture of the monster.

Chemical analysis then proceeded, followed by mechanical analysis, combustion analysis, and then flammability issues.

I'm glad you and Terry did a thorough multidimensional analysis. But darn, I was really hoping to clean out my sinuses with the stuff!

Instead I cleaned off the piston crown on an old B&S Classic 3.5 HP motor. That stuff is an amazing solvent. It literally melted off the crusty carbon. It actually worked faster than Berryman’s B-12 Chemtool.

quote:

Originally posted by darrenc:

Is that another way of saying that the MSDS is not available?

No, it has to be available. It doesn't say much...
"Composition: Refined base oils (CAS 64742-36-5-54-7-01-4)..." blah, blah, blah,

"Specific Chemical Identities: Trade secrets ...." blah, blah, blah.

"Warning Statement: Harmful or fatal if swallowed...Hazard warnings are not required....under OSHA...29CFR1910.1200."

"Flash Pt. 313°F...Autoigntion temp NDA...Extinguishing media: CO2, dry chem, foam water fog."

So...not much info beyond what the law requries.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back