Killed my first inner tube - 700c x 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a way, I got lucky.

Rode about 10 miles on Saturday morning, not a problem.

Headed out for a ride on Saturday evening, and the rear tire was completely flat. Nice...

Went in for a look, and found a hole right next to the valve stem. The tube had what appears to be a date of July 2007 (07/07) printed on it. It was a Continental tube.

Thankfully, I had bought a spare tube in an order from Performance Bike, so I only missed one ride.

So, did I do something wrong? The nut was snug on the stem, and I'm running about 100 pounds of pressure. Or was it just time and miles that did it in?

Should I consider replacing the front tube, as I have no idea how long it has been in use, or how many miles it has on it? (I bought the bike used).

And one more question... when buying tubes... spend a few bucks more for a name brand tube such as Continental or Michelin? Are the "puncture resistant" tubes an acceptable trade off for the extra few ounces? (I'm doing this for exercise, and nothing more).

The stem not being lined up perfectly with the hole can contribute to that sort of failure. I've seen it before, but only when the stem was at an obvious angle. I suppose a slight angle could do the same over a long enough time period. Also, don't tighten the stem nut too much. Light finger tight once fully inflated is plenty. Check the valve hole for sharp edges and file the edge down if necessary.

I wouldn't worry about the front tube, as long as the valve stem is straight. You'd probably be more likely to have a tube failure from installation damage of a new one than from age at only five years.

I don't know anything about the current state of puncture resistant tubes. The old self-sealing tubes were heavy and expensive though, so avoid those. You're better off using an anti-flat liner and regular tubes. A bit of extra weight in the wheels may be felt during acceleration and quick side-to-side transitions. It won't make any significant difference in performance except in competitive situations where every second counts.

In general, you probably are better off with brand-name tubes. But that doesn't mean the cheaper ones can't be good too.

One of the reasons I ride slightly knobby tires around the city is their flat resistance. I trade a little efficiency for reliability. Lots of broken glass on the streets here.

Pull too hard on the stem when removing the pump enough times and eventually the rim will chew a hole through the tube.

To the OP-

Do you carry an extra tube with you? I have one in my bag. I also have a patch kit in my seat bag, but patching tires takes time and sometimes more than one try.

I've only got one flat so far, but I just replaced the tube then patched the damaged tube than night in my garage.

I don't carry a tube with me, nor do I carry a patch kit. However, I do carry a cell phone, and have several people that I could call for assistance.

I thankfully had a brand new tube in the garage... which is where the flat occurred.

In the future, I will be carrying a new tube with me, and will be buying something to carry to inflate a tire.

Since tubes are cheap enough, I'll probably opt to go ahead and replace the tube if something would happen.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Since tubes are cheap enough, I'll probably opt to go ahead and replace the tube if something would happen.

Just be thankful you do not have tubulars (sew-up tires), since even the mid-level quality versions of these are now well over $100.00 EACH!!! (Retail, at least.)
crazy2.gif

(But of course, serious racers and afficionados think that the cost is well worth it for the much better 'response', and slightly better rolling resistance.
wink.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back