Does unused oil go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning out my garage and found a case of quicksilver 25-40. its about six years old. Is it still good?

Let's see, it was in the ground for 10 million years and stayed oil. I think another 6 years won't hurt it.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Let's see, it was in the ground for 10 million years and stayed oil. I think another 6 years won't hurt it.

That not the issue; The additive package will come out of solution over time. Shaking it will do some good, but it doesn't go back into solution. 5 years is the normal shelf life if the oil was stored in a warm area. Two years if stored in a cold garage. Cold temperatures will precipitates the additives to come out of solution faster. That why they chill wine at the winery to get the exess acid to drop out of solution. Same principle with oil

Personally I would shake the bottles ("Shake 'em baby, you can't break 'em!") and use them.

Mobil states their motor oils have at least a 5 yr shelf life (Google “lantz mobil shelf”). Shell says their piston aviation oils should be tested every 2 yrs of longer-term storage (a more serious application than street rides), and should be stored at 32F - 122F (Google “Shell Aviation OIA/212” and "aeroshell 57461e"). STP states that their additives have "indefinite" shelf lives. Valvoline has a helpful comment about "Shake 'em, baby!": "Valvoline motor oil does not have a documented expiration date. Under optimal conditions, the product is stable for an extended period of time and can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your owner's manual. If the rating is still current, shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled." (Google “valvoline faqs general.”) This suggests – although it isn’t explicit – that settled additives can be effectively remixed simply by shaking. I assume there’s limits to this – I doubt a simple shake would “renew” an 80 yr old sealed bottle of oil, for example, although a vigorous shake every few years routinely works for Cher.

Minor addition....Shell gives the same 32F - 122F storage temperatures for their car motor oil as they do their aviation oils. Google “shell 71165l 8.0".

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The additive package will come out of solution over time. Shaking it will do some good, but it doesn't go back into solution. 5 years is the normal shelf life if the oil was stored in a warm area. Two years if stored in a cold garage. Cold temperatures will precipitates the additives to come out of solution faster. That why they chill wine at the winery to get the exess acid to drop out of solution. Same principle with oil

You have been brainwashed by the oil company or maybe Jiffy Lube. I posted a VOA of Motul synthetic blend that was stored in sub-zero Minnesota and Iowa weather then moved to Arizona 120+ degree heat for a total of 18 plus year and it is still good to go. Some of my current stash are 5 to 20 years old and they are still good per the VOA. Wine and oil is not the same thing nor the same principle nor the same anything.

Think old oil is ok if it looks good.
Found some really old castrol 20w40 in the garage in an opened (and closed) plasic can. Looked like new, smelled like new. Did not kill the pathfinder or the mower, they rather ran smoother, probably due to the higher visc.
Think it had a API SF rating, and that may be the only thing to look out for. An old rating and an old add pack.
But, as always, don't pour SF oil in like a new turbo loaded small high performance diesel with dpf and cat or something that requires modern products.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
The additive package will come out of solution over time. Shaking it will do some good, but it doesn't go back into solution. 5 years is the normal shelf life if the oil was stored in a warm area. Two years if stored in a cold garage. Cold temperatures will precipitates the additives to come out of solution faster. That why they chill wine at the winery to get the exess acid to drop out of solution. Same principle with oil

You have been brainwashed by the oil company or maybe Jiffy Lube. I posted a VOA of Motul synthetic blend that was stored in sub-zero Minnesota and Iowa weather then moved to Arizona 120+ degree heat for a total of 18 plus year and it is still good to go. Some of my current stash are 5 to 20 years old and they are still good per the VOA. Wine and oil is not the same thing nor the same principle nor the same anything.

Good for you; you must lead a charmed life.

I was told by Amsoil 5 years max, same from Petro Canada.

I was not comparing wine to motor oil.
06.gif

Only the concept of elements falling out of solution as the temperature drops. This is a principle of physics.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=28613

Last edited:

06.gif

Only the concept of elements falling out of solution as the temperature drops. This is a principle of physics.

Oils are manufactured to be used from -50 to 230+C unlike wine so your comparison is pointless to say the least. And as soon as the engine starts all additives will get mixed back in again. How do you think additives are added to oils? So, what is the problem? Like I said, you are being brainwashed by the oil company. VOA don't lied.

I guess that if you have components that have low solubility, they will more likely separate if kept cold and still for a long time. But however, I also guess that if you can shake up in the oil before you pour it in the engine, the parts will mix again in the hot heavy movement in there.
Next thing is: Will the ingredients change/corrode/react during a year or 10 yrs? I don't know but I sure don't think so. At least not the oil and if the additives would, then I suppose they would do so almost immediately in the engine temp. Most oil makers make a point of their products *not reacting and changin*.
So, still don't think oil will fail in storage. But if I was a maker, I would set a short shelf life just to be safe.
And, I use my oil, generally it by mistake a container gets lost in the garage.
But it would be interesting to get Molakule or a brand engineer to chip in.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

06.gif

Oils are manufactured to be used from -50 to 230+C unlike wine so your comparison is pointless to say the least. And as soon as the engine starts all additives will get mixed back in again. How do you think additives are added to oils? So, what is the problem? Like I said, you are being brainwashed by the oil company. VOA don't lied.

If you took the time to read my post you would know I was not comparing wine to motor oil. (how many times do I need to say this!!!) I was comparing the principle of particles precipitating out of solution; Something you obviously know nothing about.

Last edited:

If you took the time to read my post you would know I was not comparing wine to motor oil. (how many times do I need to say this!!!) I was comparing the principle of particles precipitating out of solution; Something you obviously know nothing about.

I read your pointless post about wine in a boat/PWC lubrication forum again and it still is pointless. So, at what temperature do you think the additives will separate from the oil? It is not about the principle of particles precipitating out of solution but what the temperature the solution was designed to operate at. You seem to know something (maybe???) about wine but absolutely nothing about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back