Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30 in a 502 Spec VW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC

I have an out-of-warranty 2008 VW 2.0T that calls for VW 502 oil. I also have a case of Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30 Synthetic in my garage, bought for a former ride of mine, although it's NOT 502 spec'd. I was thinking about using it over the cooler fall and winter months in the VW. This all hinges on the significance of the 502 spec, of course, something I tried researching a while back but never got a good grip on. My conclusion was that 502 was primarily (but not exclusively) about oil longevity and sludge prevention, which is pretty much what everyone including my dog knows. My gut feeling is that, more than anything, 502 simply prods folks into using a name brand 100% synthetic in order to achieve their 10K service intervals, but that pretty much ANY reputable synthetic oil of appropriate viscosity would suffice, although I could be entirely wrong on that. I’ve wondered if perhaps my Pennzoil would pass the 502 cert just fine if tested, but that Pennzoil simply didn’t bother with same since they didn’t anticipate many people using that particular oil in VWs, plus the fact that they have a separate “Euro” Platinum as well. Just suppositions on my part, but they seem reasonable. One option would be for me to simply use the oil but drain it out 1.5K - 2K sooner than I would an actual 502 oil, just to compensate for any real or perceived non-502 deficiencies. Your thoughts? Thanks.

The infamous VW 502 spec. There a more than a couple of Audi/VW owners that have used a non 502 spec oil in engine's that require 502 spec and their engines are fine. If you plan on running a short OCI then I see no harm. But this is not my car.

I wouldnt use it in a 2.0T , just my opinion. Could you most likely but I would keep the oci short like 4-5k to be sure. Maybe you could sell the Platinum on here or on craigslist and use the proceeds to purchase the appropriate oil , just a thought.

OK, I spent a while searching old posts and found info on the required HTHS of 3.5+, plus some PP UOAs on similar engines. Still undecided at this point, but at least this matter is a bit more in focus now. Perhaps just use the stuff but keep the change-out intervals considerably shorter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TC
Perhaps just use the stuff but keep the change-out intervals considerably shorter.

I would suggest using it as winter fill, but you don't have the same winters in California as we do up north. Alternatively, if it were only doing short tripping and not getting up to temps, it would be okay, I'd think. Otherwise, yes, I'd probably want to shorten the OCI significantly.

I have an out-of-warranty 2008 VW 2.0T that calls for VW 502 oil. I also have a case of Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30 Synthetic in my garage, bought for a former ride of mine, although it's NOT 502 spec'd. I was thinking about using it over the cooler fall and winter months in the VW. This all hinges on the significance of the 502 spec, of course, something I tried researching a while back but never got a good grip on. My conclusion was that 502 was primarily (but not exclusively) about oil longevity and sludge prevention, which is pretty much what everyone including my dog knows. My gut feeling is that, more than anything, 502 simply prods folks into using a name brand 100% synthetic in order to achieve their 10K service intervals, but that pretty much ANY reputable synthetic oil of appropriate viscosity would suffice, although I could be entirely wrong on that. I’ve wondered if perhaps my Pennzoil would pass the 502 cert just fine if tested, but that Pennzoil simply didn’t bother with same since they didn’t anticipate many people using that particular oil in VWs, plus the fact that they have a separate “Euro” Platinum as well. Just suppositions on my part, but they seem reasonable. One option would be for me to simply use the oil but drain it out 1.5K - 2K sooner than I would an actual 502 oil, just to compensate for any real or perceived non-502 deficiencies. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Technically, pennzoil has a oil in their lineup that meets the VW specs....

if you have a BPY engine.... I'd be more concerned for the cam follower, since that is, by far, the weakest link of the engine.

Shell Rotella T6 is great and cheap

I have a 2012 2.5. I've often wondered if PP/PU would work, as I usually only run about a 5k OCI. MY GUESS is yes, it would work fine, but that's just a guess.

I've got a stash of 502 oils that I need to use up, but I am tempted to run PP/PU...or T6.

In the 2.5 maybe, but my vote is a BIG no for the 2.0T....stick with proven perfomers like GC, M1 0W-40, PU 5W-40, etc, etc which are all 502.

Agreed...2.5 has a big sump and is easy on oil. I really think any oil with a close to 3.5 HTHS would be fine. 2.0 is a different animal.

We had a 2.5 502.00 engine. Big sump and a very easy load.

We ran Schaefers, and a number of other high-quality "not 502.00" oils in it, including PP. It loved them all. It ran great on GC too, which is what was in it when we sold it.

The only caveat is consumption seemed heavier on PP 5w-30 than with the heavier weights. Move up to a 10w and consumption falls to zero.

And you don't need the $80 VW tool to drain the filter housing. A $2 screwdriver will do.

"And you don't need the $80 VW tool to drain the filter housing. A $2 screwdriver will do." Yeah, the first time I drained the oil I used a screwdriver and thought, "You mean they actually sell an overpriced tool for that?....For THAT?!! Jeebus, I could have used an old piece of tree branch from the flower bed and it would have worked just fine." Got a good laugh out of realizing they even sell that tool to begin with.

I found a VOA for Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30 (Pennzoil doesn't offer us a spec sheet – Wayne and Garth say “We’re unworthy!!!”), and also two UOAs for this oil run in VW/Audi 4-banger turbos, with both UOAs looking muy bueno, with little goin’ on in regards to wear metals or unicorn residue. For the virgin analysis, Google "fluid life brantford platinum intrepid virgin". For the used analyses, Google "bkbenjy steel toe gti" and "platinum audi repost 6400".

So at the moment – and I’ll probably have a different opinion tomorrow – I don’t feel particularly comfortable using this oil due to the lesser HTHS spec and the wear it could cause, especially with that Charlie Sheen-spawned cam follower I’ve been hearing about. And yet the UOAs show that….drumroll, please….PP doesn’t appear to cause significant wear in these engines. Bottom line, I got the oil for half-price, so I’ll try to sell it at my workplace for about that. But if I can’t sell it, I guess I’ll use it over the winter.

"Most stores will probably let you exchange it." GOOD IDEA! I of course had thought about that, but it was a year ago when I bought it, so I dismissed the possibility they'd even consider it at this point. But if I used the credit for an even larger purchase, they just might agree to it....worst case is No. (Well, technically "worst case" would be, "NO!!! NO CREDIT FOR YOU! And I'm gonna hunt you down, kill your wife and kids, rape your dog, and burn down your house for even asking me such a question!!!" But I suspect that's an unlikely response.) :)

Well, what'ya know... I stumbled across a PP data sheet

And does that help you make a decision then?

Just curious if you found something in this data sheet that made you decide whether to use this oil in your 2.0T or not.

Thanks for asking, Pete. Nothing in the PP data sheet was new info for me, but hopefully others can make use of that info (one would never find this doc at Pennzoil.com). Even though the non-Euro PP appears to work well in VW/Audis (my inner Beavis loves saying "PP"), according to various UOAs, it's not worth the risk to me: others would be justified to say the exact opposite, based on the UOA evidence. For the record, the few non-Euro PP UOAs in 4-banger turbo VWs I've come across have LOWER metal wear numbers than the UOAs for 502 oils! But just today a coworker offered to buy all the PP for about what I originally paid for it (2-for-1 BOGO), so I'm unloading it and will likely buy some 502 spec Pentosin I can get for a reduced price at a local shop. I'm currently using Lubro Moly, which works fine, but figured I'd try the Pentosin just to see what happens. (I'm hoping that unicorns encased in little bubbles will fly out the tailpipe.)

Do you have a link to a data sheet of the Pentosin oil you're planning to buy? Where do you buy it from and how much does it run?

Here be the Pentosin spec sheet. The UOAs for it appear decent. http://www.pentosin.net/f_motoroil.asp
Lubro Moly: http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/2040_Synthoil%20Premium%205W-40.pdf/$file/2040_Synthoil%20Premium%205W-40.pdf

Type "2041" in the search box here for oils. They're not as cheap as they were just a year ago, but still cheaper than most. Check for free shipping and make sure it also applies to (heavy) oil jugs too -- I live nearby so I've only picked it up in person. http://www.bmaparts.com

Very cheap oil here -- I came across this website yesterday, but personally I wouldn't trust them due to no phone, address or contact info other than an e-mail form. Doesn't exactly scream out "trustworthy." http://www.gowestyautoparts.com/OEM/oemSearch.aspx?search=2041

There was a now banned member here who posted a number of UOAs of API spec 5W-30 syns run in various VAG turbo engines.
The UOAs looked very good.
If you search a little, the member posted as Audi Junkie, as everyone who's been here for a bit of time already knows.
I think that for reasonable drain intervals, the PP would probably work very well.
It has proven to be a good oil, and it does have Honda turbo approval.
The member was banned because he became quite rude with anyone who questioned his posts, IIRC, not because he posted drivel.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
...he became quite rude with anyone who questioned his posts, IIRC, not because he posted drivel.

Funny but true.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back