costco gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if you ask me. I don't use anything but Shell. It's top tier, name brand, recommended by GM: who makes my cars.

Gas is gas. Have you heard that one before? Also there is a post on here that someone said the Costco gas was either Chevron or Shell supplied gasoline depending on your location. I have used it before and with no noticeable performance gains or losses. Do I use use more Top Tier gasoline than not yeah. But I have not noticed a difference between brands.

I would probably consider using it if was closer, our Costco does not have a gas station. My issue is the normal wait for so long to save a few cents a gallon, does not seem worth it to me.

I've used Costco, Sams Club and BJ's Gasoline. IMO...they are all great products for gasoline and additives.

I visited a BJ's in FL that was consistantly supplied by Chevron tankers.

IMO...if your near to one of these big box stores that sells gasoline, use your membership to the fullest. It's all good.....

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Gas is gas. Have you heard that one before? Also there is a post on here that someone said the Costco gas was either Chevron or Shell supplied gasoline depending on your location. I have used it before and with no noticeable performance gains or losses. Do I use use more Top Tier gasoline than not yeah. But I have not noticed a difference between brands.

It's neither here. I'm fairly sure it's Exxon-Mobil at my local Costco.

I like Costco gas because it is cheap, high detergent, and higher octane. Around here most regular is 85.5 and premium is 91. Costco is 87 and 93. Lower octane used to be fine for carbureted vehicles in higher altitudes, but modern fuel injected cars compensate for atmospheric pressure. If your car calls for 87, you need to run 87, not 85.5

My closest Costco now has the detergent package, so I now use them most often. Them, or Shell. Most popular in my area.

Around here it is made by BP. Kirkland signature detergents came out almost exactly the same time as BP with invigorate.

Gas is gas except for the .001/gal of additives... Almost all southern Michigan gasoline comes down the same pipeline. Now whether the tanks are maintained is another story.

Now I am like to know why Costco have to "add" more additive to it's fuel at the retail outlet, not when tank leave depot. all my reading in the past show additive were dumped to the tank before delivery.

^Can't say, but I believe it simply could be tank capacity/cost to have their own additive system growing to be 'pre-blended' for certain locations and not for others over time growing to all their gas locations.

Costco likes quality, consistency and bang for the buck for their customers. It was probably the best way for them to ensure that their fuel is the same across the country.

Fill up everytime we visit Costco, car runs just as well as using Shell
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Is it any good?

mrcoolguy,

There have been many stories as to where Cosco procures there gas for consumption and I'm still trying to find out myself. Some people have said not to use it as it's basically cheap/low quality gas but I can at least say that on the other side of the coin that many people have said they use it regularly and have had no problems what so ever!!!! I guess there's two sides of every street. I too admit I use it on a non-regular basis and it seems to be OK. Besides that since California gas in areas are pushing over $5 for regular you have to wonder...Can your budget afford TOP TIER gas every week??? Not mine.

Durango

One of the benefits of Costco gas is that you get gas that was delivered that day. The Costco near me gets 9 deliveries of gas per day. My nephew works there. I buy gas there and add a maintenance dose of Redline S1. Not only is it cheaper but you can also get a rebate of 3% at the end of the year buy using a Costco American Express card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back