Auto-RX and fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am a new member. I am very interested in using the best motor oils, filters, etc., that I can for my car. This site is great, the best that I have found.

I own a Saturn SL2 and I have ordered Auto-RX. The performance of the car has declined somewhat and perhaps there is some sludge in the engine, even though I do oil and filter changes every 3000 miles. I have 46,000 miles on the car. It is a 2001.

What fuel injector cleaner do you guys recommend? I usually use Chevron but is there better fuel injector cleaner-perhaps Amzoil or Redline?

In a reply to a post one guy said that Chevron Supreme Motor Oil was good, but with all of these oil company mergers will it still be available?

Thanks

your car doesn't burn oil(much) does it? I think they redesigned the pistons sometime before your year.

Berryman's B-12 is an awesome fuel injector cleaner. One bottle of that in the tank should take care of prety much any fuel system dirt problems.

As far as oil go's. If the car's not burning any oil, stick with 5w30. Penzoil, Castrol, and Schaeffers make good dino oils. If you wanna go synthetic, Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, and Schaeffers make good oils there.

--Matt

ChevronTexaco will continue their Chevron Supreme...and their Texaco Havoline now seems to be identical to Chevron Supreme.

Injector cleaners?...Berryman B-12, Chevron Techron, Schaeffer's #131 Neutra, and the rest you mentioned.

Ken

[ March 06, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I would like to thank both mkosem and Ken2 for recommending Berryman B-12 as a fuel system cleaner. My car immediately began to run better. I think that the Berryman B-12 must be a much better fuel injector and fuel system cleaner than the Chevron fuel injector cleaner I used in the past. I use a fuel system and fuel injector cleaner only about once a year, and that cleaner will be Berryman B-12.

Another Coloradan! For il viscosity, most definetally go with at least 10w-30 in the summer in Pueble, it gets to 100 often down there. For the heart of the winter season, go 5w-30. I've been using Pennzoil.

You know something, Drew99GT, that is something I have often wondered about. Some people say that the car companies recommend 5W30 (or even 5W20) oil just to raise their CAFE. Maybe I am old fashioned but it was always disturbing to me to try to run 5W30 oil in the summertime in Pueblo and the Southwestern U. S. I always like using 10W30 in the summertime, when it really gets hot. But I never use an oil thicker than what is recommended in the owner's manual. I know a woman who recently bought a Honda Civic and 5W20 oil is recommended for her car. Unless an oil is synthetic I just can't see going that thin.

Yea, I know what ya mean. Whether they recomend 5w-30 for fuel efficiency or not, I think it's better in the winter. My car starts easier when it's real cold, like 0 degrees F, with 5w-30 compared to 10w-30.

Mystic,

I understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that the 5W-20 has to meet higher standards than 5W-30 and the rest...this is from a 76 (ConocoPhillips) pub:

"Ford and Honda have actually established test limits for SAE 5W-20 engine oils that go beyond the requirements of API SL/ILSAC GF-3. Ford requires either a double-length (160 hours) Sequence IIIF test or a double-length (128 hours) Sequence IIIE test with a maximum viscosity increase of 200%. The corresponding limits for the single-length tests are 275% maximum and 375% maximum, respectively. In addition, Ford’s limit for high temperature deposits in the TEOST MHT-4 test is 30 mg maximum compared with 45 mg maximum allowed under API SL/ILSAC GF-3. Similarly, Honda also requires a double-length Sequence IIIF test or a double-length Sequence IIIE test, but the viscosity limits are the same as the single-length tests. Obviously, meeting either of these requirements is very difficult. Again, higher quality base oils and/or significantly higher levels of antioxidant are required."
http://www.76lubricants.com/cmc_upload/EDITORIAL/0/000/017/869/tn3_4.pdf

Ken

[ March 08, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I would like to thank both mkosem and Ken2 for recommending Berryman B-12 as a fuel system cleaner. My car immediately began to run better. I think that the Berryman B-12 must be a much better fuel injector and fuel system cleaner than the Chevron fuel injector cleaner I used in the past. I use a fuel system and fuel injector cleaner only about once a year, and that cleaner will be Berryman B-12.

Which of the Berryman products is recommended? They have so many different ones, all with different formulas... Some of them are mostly toluene (Total Fuel System Cleaner, PREMIUM GAS TREATMENT), some others are mostly mixed xylenes (INTAKE VALVE AND INJECTOR CLEANER FUEL TREATMENT, CARBURETOR CLEANER FUEL TREATMENT).

Some of them contain methanol and acetone. Are those safe to use in the fuel system?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back