Stop the CSK before it happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 02 Sierra Denali with the 6.0. I currently have 5300 miles on it with no CSK (Cold Start Knock) yet. It goes without saying I don't want it. I have been running 5-30 Mobil 1 since about the mile 2000 mark. Because the feds have reduced the amounts of EP additives allowed in engine oil, I want to add more EP back into the oil. I really like the Schaeffer's #132 EP Moly additive, but the "Frothing oil" problem that was discovered in another thread here has me concerned. The Question is, can I add the #132 to my MI oil without any concequences, and will it help to prevent CSK. (Guys, I don't want to hear "change to Amsoil, or Redlile, or Royal Purple", I am using M1 because it's available, reletivly inexpensive, and I think it's one of the best)

Thanks, Butch 02 Sierra Denali

I think it's been shown on here a few times that the 132 and Mobil 1 work very well together, and I think it should help prevent the cold start knock. I do know quite a few guys with LS1 engines (which your engine is based on) with piston slap and a lot of them found that adding a quart or two of 15w50 helped out tremendously. So that's another option too. But try the 132 first.

Many people will disagree with me, but I think Mobil 1 and it's relatively thin viscosity, especially trisynthetic, contributed more to my piston slap then using a good ol dino oil. I bought my 99 Grand Am GT new, 3.4L v-6, broke it in properly, changed oil several times untill I hit around 4,000 miles, then switched to 5w-30 trisynthetic (ss wasn't available). I used Mobil 1 until about 45,000 miles, at that point my car sounded like a diesel tractor when started!!!!! Seriously, people at the local drag strip were laughing, awaiting a block perforation, it sounded that bad. I've now gone to 10w-30 dino, mostly penzoil, with a over 20 micron filter like AC Delcos regular duraguard for more oil flow, and my knock is significantly decreased. It's still there for sure, but much quieter than with Mobil 1. Several other Grand Am owners have noted the same thing, and other GM car owners as well. Flame away
twak.gif

Believe me, it is all in the design of the pistons. However, some oils cushion the perpendicular thrust of the piston on the cylinder wall better than others, at least it seems so based upon my findings and many others. Mobil 1 just flat out makes my car LOUD. It's worst after the engine has got to temp, then cooled back down about 3/4 of the way from being totally cold. When I start it then with Mobil 1, I get scared it's so loud.

Butch, Like you I want to use Mobil1,but want the best E.P. protection. After looking at several post on #132 Moly E.P., I just added some this weekend using MolaKule recommendations for treatment rates. I did not do this lightly. I am going on my the input of several respected folks on this forum; otherwise I would never risk using something like #132.

The first impression is that the engine is running quieter as soon as I added it. Could be just my hopes, but MolaKule does say that it has surface treatment beyond just the E.P. He seems to think highly of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back